Getting married soon and need help!

Hi all,

My fiancee and I are getting married this coming July. I am Catholic and have all my documents (baptism, communion, and confirmation). My fiancee on the other hand only has his baptism certificate. He is a non-practicing Catholic but attends a non-denominational church. There are just so many rules and we don't know what we should do now.

What are some options out there? What are the rules?

The priest who is doing your marriage preparation will be able to walk you through all of this. Ideally, your fiancee's baptismal parish will have records of his other Sacraments.

I’m surprised that 3 months from the wedding day you haven’t got all that information from the priest who is preparing you. I assume you’ve met with the priest already?

Are you in Pre-Cana? Pre-Cana at my Church is 6 months.

I am confused, normally this would be dealt with before you can even book a date and as someone mentioned you then usually have to spend at least 6 months preparing for marriage.

I am confused also because at my parish you have to provide proof that you have received the sacraments of baptism confirmation and first communion if one ofyou are catholic and then you have to spend at least 6 months in marriage preparation from what I have observed because one couple that i know of started their preparation the middle of january and they are not getting married until sometime in the first week of August.

I am confused also because at my parish The Catholic person has to show proof that they have received the sacraments of baptism first communion and confirmation and then they have to have at least 6 months of marriage preparation at least from what I understand because i know a couple at my parish who started their preparation in the middle of January and they are not getting married until sometime in the First week of August

Have you met with your priest?

You need to make an appointment ASAP with the priest who will be presiding at your wedding and get the answers to your questions. This should have been resolved months ago, after your first meeting.

[quote="divapo, post:1, topic:237335"]
Hi all,

My fiancee and I are getting married this coming July. I am Catholic and have all my documents (baptism, communion, and confirmation). My fiancee on the other hand only has his baptism certificate. He is a non-practicing Catholic but attends a non-denominational church. There are just so many rules and we don't know what we should do now.

What are some options out there? What are the rules?

[/quote]

If he hasn't received the other sacraments, that's a problem. If he has, but doesn't have his documents, he just needs to contact the church(es) where he received them and get them sent to the church where you will be married.

It sounds to me as though you have set the date and haven't talked to your priest or enrolled in Pre-Cana classes. If you want your wedding to be a sacrament, you will have to do things the correct way.

Contact your priest on Tuesday and find out what to do next.

closed #11

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.