Getting Rid of Our Cats

:(

One of our two kitties is doing his business in the bathtub. My significant other has decided they need to go. The kids and I are going to miss them. :(

Yes; we have done everything recommended.

Good grief I just feel like this is a straw on the camel's back. I know in the grand scheme of things this is a small concern, and way better than what others have to deal with. I'm ashamed to even be bothering folks here with this.

Thanks for listening.

Cara

[quote="ScareBear, post:1, topic:251209"]

One of our two kitties is doing his business in the bathtub. My significant other has decided they need to go. The kids and I are going to miss them. :(

Good grief I just feel like this is a straw on the camel's back. I know in the grand scheme of things this is a small concern, and way better than what others have to deal with. I'm ashamed to even be bothering folks here with this.

Thanks for listening.

Cara

[/quote]

I was attracted to this post, because I'm a cat lover. Now that I've read it, I have other concerns. You have children and you have a significant other who is telling you that the cats must go.

I can only conclude that this person is not your spouse or you would have said so. I can also conclude that this person lives in your home, what would give him or her to the authority to to make this decision?

I think there is a message being sent here to the kids that needs to be checked, which is more important than the tub. You can clean a tub and you can rehome a cat with a problem. The fact is that the children have a significant other in their parent's life who lives and acts with the authority and rights of a spouse, without being one.

We must always ask ourselves, would we want our children to be in such a situation? I'm not talking about living with a neurotic cat.

Fraternally,

Br. JR, OSF :)

In this thread I thought I remembered you referring to yourself as a wife and I was right. Is everything OK, Cara? I know you have been under a lot of stress with losing your job and having another child on the way but your husband seemed very supportive even with all of the stress. Is this your husband?

Last time you posted you seemed like you were looking forward to spending time with the kids and starting RCIA. I can understand how sometimes these things really can be the straw that broke the camel's back so to speak. Maybe you need some time to have a good cry and get it out away from the kids and then come back with a fresh set of eyes.

Remember to keep your prayer life intact. This can be difficult. I don't have children so I can't give you anything but understanding but maybe some of the Moms on here can give better advice.

God bless you and you are in my prayers. I am so sorry but I cannot take another cat at this time. I have one and one that I may be adopting for a friend.

I'm confused. :confused:

It's your husband who said that the cat(s) must go?

If so, you want to be careful when you use "significant other", because that's a term that people use to cover non-spouses, who can be fiances, live in boyfriends or girlfriends or non live ins too.

In any case, as to the kitty, what does the vet say?

Fraternally,

Br. JR, OSF :)

... I know in the grand scheme of things this is a small concern, and way better than what others have to deal with. I'm ashamed to even be bothering folks here with this.

Thanks for listening.

Cara

[/quote]

But each of our suffering is uniquely our own and no-one can tell how something affects another. What is insignificant to you could be a major burden to me and vice-versa.

And you said it's not just this, it's this on top of everything else. I don't know if you tried toilet training the kitty. Putting a curtain/barrier to the tub and then putting a tub-like surface across the toilet (other folks use litter boxes designed to fit on the toilet bowl, after the cat gets used to using the litter box, it's removed and the cat goes in the toilet).

Anyway, I have to admit that sometimes it's the minor things that get to me as well. I'll pray for you that everything else starts going better for you.

Thanks for listening.

Cara

[/quote]

I don't blame you and your husband for getting rid of your cats. It doesn't sound like this is a good time for you to have cats or any pet. Hopefully someday things will be smoother and you'll have the time and energy.

A lot of people think cats are so easy compared to dogs. Just put out some food and shovel out the litter.

But cats can be really destructive, and the smell of the urine and feces is awful. It's no fun to keep cleaning up after them. They can be very loud and demanding. Ours currently wake us up at 5:30 a.m. for their breakfast. This is fine on days that we work, but on our days off, it's a pain. Cats can cost a lot, too, especially if they get sick or have some other condition that needs a vet. Two weeks ago, our cats came down with fleas--I have no idea how, since they are never outdoors, and we keep our windows closed. The bill was $265 for the vet visit and the meds. :(

I'm sorry they have to go--they are great companions. But it doesn't seem like a good time for you to have cats.

Have you tried placing a littter box in a utility room or somewhere away from the main areas of the house, close the doors of room you do not want your acts in. There is a stray that deters cats from places. Take your cats to the litter box at first. I dont know if cat nip in the room where the box in will help. Your vet should be able to help. Please use gloves as I read that you are pregnant. If you have to, please give your cats to good people if you have to. I do not think the thought of losing pets is a small thing.

I am sorry about all your problems. My prayers for you. God bless.

Just a thought if it's not too late and is feasible, could you start keeping the bathroom door closed at all times to keep the cat out of there? My parents' cats occasionally would go to the bathroom in one out of the way room of the house, which is now kept closed all the time so they can't get in there. The problem was solved just by that.

The profile says te OP is engaged…

So are you engaged, married, living with a guy, or what? There seem to be inconsistencies.

For the cats- confine them to one area until they are trained. If they were previously trained and are now going elsewhere, suspect a UTI. Meds will help with that.

Heavenly Father, I am a cat lover. I have a cat who acts like the king of our home. Lord, please help this couple find a suitable home for this cat. Everything on Your earth is important to You. Please help this family and this cat. Thank You . Amen.

This is tough but if he is only your fiance he does not need to singlehandedly be making decisions that imp;act you and the kids.

Since you're pregnant, you shouldn't be any where near cat feces. This could be potentially very dangerous to your baby. I'm guessing your man is the only one old enough to shoulder the burden of cleaning up that mess day after day, and he's tired of it.

Personally, I'd be more in favor of getting rid of the one cat and keeping the one that isn't defacating in the tub.

How old are the kids. A 10yo should be perfectly capable of cleaning up after cat. And I agree that it’s time to get rid of (maybe even put down) the errant cat as it is HUGE danger to the unborn child.

I have three cats and am going through a tough love period with them too so I know what you mean. However, I am very inclined to think you cat is sick and needs to see a vet for anti-biotics more than likely. Whenever your cat does something like using the tub instead of the litterbox something is up and a sure bet he/she is trying to get your attention. This could be easily fixed in one vet visit.

On the otherhand:

I have put up a see through door from the kitchen to the utility room and the bathroom and am having an outside habitat built for them which they will access from a pet door. This way they can either stay inside the utility/bathroom or go outside in a protected enviornment. The cost is no more than $100 and is saving me from taking drastic measures. Do you think your SO might build one for you so that you and the kids aren't heartbroken over getting rid of the cat ? I'd like to say get rid of your SO but being pregnant and all I guess you are not wanting to rock the boat.

Have you thought of taking the cat to the vet office?

Also, I had cats all through my pregnancy (inside and in the barn) and didn't have a problem but I could have been lucky---I don't know. Wear gloves though.

Thanks for listening.

Cara

[/quote]

Dear ScareBear,

My heart goes out to you and the tough decision(s) that lay ahead. It is never easy to get rid of something you love - I know: I had to "get rid" of my two beloved cats years ago, and when I was pregnant with my first child my kitten died unexpectedly. It was so hard and I remember the grief of those times.

There is so much good advice here, but I don't know how old your cats are. It will be harder if you've had them for awhile, however, like one poster said: it could be UTI (or even diabetes: animals get diabetes as well!). Keeping the bathroom door closed is a good idea, but I know children can forget this and voila - in goes the cat again! Try sprinkling cayene pepper in the bathtub! :eek:THAT will keep the cat out! (And it's easy to rinse away prior to showerin or having a bath).

I am not familiar with all you are going through (the straw that broke the camel's back), but I pray that the Lord blesses you with the courage and strength you need.:gopray2: May His guardian angels keep you safe and protect you and the unborn baby. :angel1:

God bless and peace of Christ,

CEM

One word:

TOXOPLASMOSIS

Say good bye to your cats.
Any risk to a child in the womb is a risk that is too great.

webmd.com/baby/toxoplasmosis

~ What Are the Symptoms of Toxoplasmosis?
Because the majority of people with toxoplasmosis have no symptoms, it may be difficult to know if you have been infected. When symptoms do appear, they can resemble the flu and include fever, muscle aches, fatigue, and swollen lymph glands.

~ What Can Happen if I Have Toxoplasmosis During My Pregnancy?
Approximately one-half of women infected with toxoplasmosis can transmit the infection across the placenta to their unborn baby. Infection early in the pregnancy is less likely to be transmitted to the baby than infection later in the pregnancy. Early infection results in more severe symptoms in the baby than a later one. Most babies infected during pregnancy show no sign of toxoplasmosis when they are born, but they may develop learning, visual, and hearing disabilities later in life.

To me, this is a no-brainer.

Your cat defecates in an area used for people-cleanliness?  
**Enough!**

I have a cat that likes the tear the **** out of paper and boxes. I always find peaces of paper everywhere. My leather couch is destroyed. Will I get rid of her no. She's a treasure and the sweetest cat I've ever had. I think your cat is confused and acting out and needs some time and attention. I need to buy some scratching posts for mine but lack the money....they are so darn expensive. You owe it to you're cat to give her the attention she deserves or find her a household who will. I get so upset with pet owners who think their animals are just possessions to be thrown out of gotten rid when things get tough. :mad:

I had a cat that died recently. She had a thyroid condition that caused her for some strange reason to go into the tub, and hang out by the faucet. She did this even though she had plenty of water put out for her and food.

You may just want to take your cat to the doctor. She may have a medical condition that is causing her strange behavior.

Heavenly Father, please help this family and cat. Amen.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.