Getting Started in Biblical Theology

I want to start learning biblical theology. What books should I look for and what are some good resources to get me started?

Thanks!

Not trying to sound facetious, but if you want your theology to be Biblical, start with the Bible. Most seminary outlines start with survey classes of the Old and New Testaments and work outward from there.

Check out the Institute of Catholic Culture. It’s free to register and they have over 800 archived videos on theology, Scripture study, Church history, the Liturgy and so much more. Every week or so there is a free webinar on a particular subject you can tune into. If you miss it they are always archived the next day and also put on their YouTube page. My favorite is the Sunday Gospel reflection that they have every week for both the Roman lectionary and the Byzantine rite. Some of their speakers are Dale Ahlquist, Mike Aquilina, Tim Staples, Fathers Hezekias and Sebastian (my favorites), John Burgsma and so many more.

ZP

The Bible and the Sacraments. This videos are usually free during Lent.
Signs of Life: 40 Catholic Customs and Their Biblical Roots by Scott Hahn
Navarre Bible Commentary and Agape Bible Study quotes the Catechism a lot.

Daily lectio divina from word of the day at vatican news website or ocarm.org

What is it you are trying to learn. Daytona University offers short courses . Your Diocese may partner with Daytona and give you access to these short courses.

Otherwise, contact Daytona and ask how to enrol. They go for 5 weeks each and are really good primers

Before you start, consider just what you understand the definition of Biblical Theology is, and what it is not (that is, how it differs from Catholic Theology, Systematic Theology, Historical Theology, Dogmatic Theology, etc.).

Then decide where to begin.

Let’s not forget that “Biblical Theology” is a different discipline from “Scripture scholarship”. @sthwaitesgd, are you looking to study theology or Scripture?

If you are studying theology apart from scripture you aren’t studying theology.

We could quibble.

But, it’s true – there are two distinct fields of study. For example, one might earn a degree in theology (the S.T.L.) in Biblical Studies, or one might earn a degree in Sacred Scripture (the S.S.L.). They are distinct courses of study, with distinct emphases.

I really enjoy history so Historical Theology would be something I would be interested to try. I do think it would be helpful to learn more about the writers of the Bible as well. I really just want to dive into the history of the church and its fathers.

Is there a way to do both? :stuck_out_tongue:

Depends. How rich are you, and how many years do you have to dedicate to graduate degrees? :rofl:

Well I’m about to have a baby so I think I can say at this point that I will be poor for a little while! :stuck_out_tongue:

I really am looking for something read and study at home. Kind of like a hobby but more to gain knowledge I don’t have quite yet about Bible history.

You might try writing to a seminary prof and ask for his syllabus. Sometimes they are pretty open about that. You can then order the books and read them at your leisure.

I would start by reading the original edition of the Douay-Rheims bible (not the edition commonly sold as that today, which is actually the Challoner Bible) available for example here: https://archive.org/details/1610A.d.DouayOldTestament1582A.d.RheimsNewTestament_176

It can be downloaded as pdf or other type of file there if you click on one of the file types in the lower right below the book.

This will explain much of the Bible and how it is to be understood according to the principals of the western church, although a few ideas the authors had are mistaken, and they do not seem to understand the development of doctrine, however it will give you a good idea of what was believed by the church for many centuries.

Next, reading the fathers and mothers of the church would be best, such as those parts mentioned in the Douay-Rheims, or other of their writings. Feel free to ask for help if you have trouble finding the references which they wrote with Latin abbreviations, such as Li. for liber which means book. They also wrote the titles of the works in Latin too, such as civit. to reference Augustine’s The City of God. The fathers I would recommend especially, would be St. Augustine, St. Thomas Aquinas, St Gregory Nyssa, Lady Julian of Norwich, Venerable Fulton Sheen, and Father Faber.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.