Getting tired of other religions attacking the Catholic faith!

I hear so many rotten things said about our faith:

“The whore of Babylon”

“The apostate Church”

“Your Catholic, your going to hell”

“You worship Mary, not Christ”

“The pope is the anti Christ”

Blah blah blah. I don’t want to hear it! I KNOW the truth! Where did I hear these things? From people I spoke to, from door knockers, Mormoms, ext. What do I do about it? i explain my faith to them and point out Scriptural evidence that back up what I say. It irks me when they attack our faith, and it makes me defend it, not argumentatively, but factually, and patiently. I do get tired of the attacks, but try to remember that these people do not know the truth, and until they do, they will continue their attacks on us. Does the Bible not state that “Satan blinds the minds of the unbelievers? " I believe it does! When I was a jw, I never got attacked like I do as a Catholic! It is the truth, and people will attack the truth because they do not see the truth, or they do not want to hear it. or, they are so blinded by the devil, that they cannot see it. does not Jesus say” if they persecuted me, they will persecute you also?" I believe He did. You know you have the truth then don’t you? obviously! I just wish everyone would wake up, and realize the truth! The whole world needs it!

[quote=Marilena]I hear so many rotten things said about our faith:

“The whore of Babylon”

“The apostate Church”

“Your Catholic, your going to hell”

“You worship Mary, not Christ”

“The pope is the anti Christ”

Blah blah blah. I don’t want to hear it! I KNOW the truth! Where did I hear these things? From people I spoke to, from door knockers, Mormoms, ext. What do I do about it? i explain my faith to them and point out Scriptural evidence that back up what I say. It irks me when they attack our faith, and it makes me defend it, not argumentatively, but factually, and patiently. I do get tired of the attacks, but try to remember that these people do not know the truth, and until they do, they will continue their attacks on us. Does the Bible not state that “Satan blinds the minds of the unbelievers? " I believe it does! When I was a jw, I never got
attacked like I do as a Catholic! It is the truth, and people will attack the truth because they do not see the truth, or they do not
want to hear it. or, they are so blinded by the devil, that they cannot see it. does not Jesus say” if they persecuted me, they will persecute you also?" I believe He did. You know you have the
truth then don’t you? obviously! I just wish everyone would wake up, and realize the truth! The whole world needs it!
[/quote]

Just think, would they attack if they weren’t afraid that we are right? No, in fact, protestant churches don’t have a problem with Satanists stealing their communion bread do they? Yet they only steal from the Catholics. Why? Because we have the real presence and they know it. I used to be married to a man that went through a satanic period and he went as far as to join a Catholic seminary to try to defile the church from the inside. Why would they do that if they didn’t believe that we are the true Church? The answer is they wouldn’t. The bible tells us that we will be persecuted in his name and indeed we are. So next time you feel attacked or persecuted, thank your(yes, I said thank them) persecutor because of their attacks a few things happen:

1. We grow stronger in our faith because we have to research and learn how to defend ourselves.
  2. We are doing this in the name of our Lord and there is no greater calling
    Don’t depair! Just treat these folks with love and patience because they have been fooled by the greatest liar of them all, we must show them love and mercy.

[quote=BlestOne]Just think, would they attack if they weren’t afraid that we are right? No, in fact, protestant churches don’t have a problem with Satanists stealing their communion bread do they? Yet they only steal from the Catholics. Why? Because we have the real presence and they know it. I used to be married to a man that went through a satanic period and he went as far as to join a Catholic seminary to try to defile the church from the inside. Why would they do that if they didn’t believe that we are the true Church? The answer is they wouldn’t. The bible tells us that we will be persecuted in his name and indeed we are. So next time you feel attacked or persecuted, thank your(yes, I said thank them) persecutor because of their attacks a few things happen:

1. We grow stronger in our faith because we have to research and learn how to defend ourselves.
  2. We are doing this in the name of our Lord and there is no greater calling
    Don’t depair! Just treat these folks with love and patience because they have been fooled by the greatest liar of them all, we must show them love and mercy.
    [/quote]

Indeed! Iam thankful! Good point! :slight_smile:

I live in the middle of the Baptist belt and the things I hear about Catholics from them make me ill. I do volunteer work in a hospice owned by a Catholic hospital system, but the two chaplains are Baptists!!! I mentioned my disdain for this practice to one of the nuns (a friend from high school days) and she chuckled and reminded me that the majority of the patients who come to the hospice are Baptists, or at least protestants. Of course priests come if one of the patients happen to be Catholic.

Remember folks it is only when they stop attacking our wonderful Faith that we will know something is seriously wrong with Catholicism.

Fortunately through the Holy Spirit I was able to discover the Truth on my own.

I grew up in a divided family between Born Again and Catholics. But fortunately for me my Born Again Grandmother bought for me on my 13th birthday a bible. I read it quiety and privately discovering the Truth.

May we pray that all discover the Truth which is the Catholic Church.

[quote=Fergal]Remember folks it is only when they stop attacking our wonderful Faith that we will know something is seriously wrong with Catholicism.
[/quote]

persicely.

[quote=bones_IV]persicely.
[/quote]

Pope Adrian VI “The rosary is the scourge of the devil.”

Hmm, good point about the Rosary!

For doorknockers, (Mormans, JWs, etc) I usually say, “Hey,thanks for stopping by! Your timing is great. We were just getting ready to pray the rosary. Would you like to join us?” I haven’t had one take me up on the offer, but they also tend not to return. :slight_smile:

[quote=StCsDavid]For doorknockers, (Mormans, JWs, etc) I usually say, “Hey,thanks for stopping by! Your timing is great. We were just getting ready to pray the rosary. Would you like to join us?” I haven’t had one take me up on the offer, but they also tend not to return. :slight_smile:
[/quote]

Neat idea! Thanks for that:) I will continue to point out the factual
evidence, but inviting them for the saying of the Holy Rosary is
a good idea :slight_smile:

Indeed, I look foreward to it. Stumping someone so bad that they change the subject in front of two hundred plus people (which I really did) and showing that Catholics (some of us) really do know the Bible is a great witness to our faith. Hopefully it makes them think a little bit about where the truth really is…

One would be amazed how much the Catholic Church is supported in Scripture. The poor souls of todays Fundamentalists are taught by their pastors only certain parts of scripture and the hold it as complete.

But if they read the Bible complete and whole they will be amazed how much the Catholic Church is the Truth and the True Church of Christ.

Bring on those door knockers!!

[quote=StCsDavid]For doorknockers, (Mormans, JWs, etc) I usually say, “Hey,thanks for stopping by! Your timing is great. We were just getting ready to pray the rosary. Would you like to join us?” I haven’t had one take me up on the offer, but they also tend not to return. :slight_smile:
[/quote]

OK you are much more charitable than I was in my youth. I had JW show up at bf’s house and we answered the door with his pet snake around his neck!!!

When I was in the military and on leave they came to MIL house and proceeded to tell me how the US armed forces were leading this country straight to hell. I told a little bit of a lie and told them i worked with nukes (their whole objection to the military) and that my primary job was to defend and protect the rights of the citizens. I went on to say that because I did this they had the right to freedom of speech(to spout junk like that), as did everyone, so I told them, “Basically I am defending your right to be an A**hole” I know it wasn’t right but it was entertaining to see my BIL rolling on the ground laughing when MIL walked in to see me all red in the face and angry and my BIL and husband rolling on the ground laughing was too funny!

I hear ya Marilena, and I know how ya feel. But everyone one here has pointed out good things.

One thing that I did discover is that I know my Bible better than a lot of guys who come at me about the faith. I used to have a couple of guys who would regularly jump my case about the Catholic Church and I found that they had just enough info to be wrong and then were stumped when I hit them with passages of scripture. Not all are like those two, but it was kinda funny when once I decided to take a quiz on really general Bible knowlege that I got in a Catholic newsletter that had like 50 or so questions and I tore these two guys up by missing maybe 2 or 3. Frankly it surprised me because it wasn’t hard stuff at all, and I figured they’d’ve done better. :eek:

Do I get tired of the attacks and smart remarks? Sure! Like this one from another forum that I and other Catholics have decided to boycott:

I sure wish the catholics would understand that we’re not bashing them, but that we only want them to see the truth so that they can be in line with God’s Truth. I just wish they would talk to us about what they believe and what they see rather than just give the standard replys that the catholic church has taught them. I honestly don’t see how they can actually read this stuff and not have it affect them. I know when I was Episcopal and I began seeing how what they taught didn’t line up with the bible, that no one could have stopped me from examining scripture and discussing it to get down to the real Truth.

Different poster, but this one sounds like a revival of the “Know Nothings”,

The Vatican has aligned itself with the EU, the UN and the Philistines [Palestine is a misnomer] and against the Israelis and the Americans.

The RCC would rather deal with dictators and monarchs than democracies that believe in things like freedom of religion, speech and conscience, secure borders, seperation of church and state and free enterprise.

I believe it is about time for Americans to wake up and understand that the RCC is more subversive to our national sovereignty and way of life than the Communists ever were . . . .

It’s pretty bad, but it also has worked for me in sharing my faith because I readily point out that if they can prove the Catholic Church wrong then I’ll bail in a heartbeat rather than face the junk I do for being Catholic. My answer to that is, “Do you really think I’m stupid enough to BE Catholic and take all this guff, if I wasn’t 100% dead certain that it is all true?” They are usually taken aback by that.

One thing that I have to sometimes remind myself is that I do not have to answer every crackpot that comes along, and (as in the case of the forum under boycott) sometimes it is best to follow Jesus’ own directions and dust off your sandals and be on your way.

St. Peter also summed things up very very well in 1st Peter 3.

8: Finally, all of you, have unity of spirit, sympathy, love of the brethren, a tender heart and a humble mind.
9: Do not return evil for evil or reviling for reviling; but on the contrary bless, for to this you have been called, that you may obtain a blessing.
10: For "He that would love life and see good days, let him keep his tongue from evil and his lips from speaking guile;
11: let him turn away from evil and do right; let him seek peace and pursue it.
12: For the eyes of the Lord are upon the righteous, and his ears are open to their prayer. But the face of the Lord is against those that do evil."
13: Now who is there to harm you if you are zealous for what is right?
14: But even if you do suffer for righteousness’ sake, you will be blessed. Have no fear of them, nor be troubled,
15: but in your hearts reverence Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to make a defense to any one who calls you to account for the hope that is in you, yet do it with gentleness and reverence;
16: and keep your conscience clear, so that, when you are abused, those who revile your good behavior in Christ may be put to shame.
17: For it is better to suffer for doing right, if that should be God’s will, than for doing wrong. (Emphasis mine)
Rest my friends and relax in His love.
Pax vobiscum,

The church… i.e. the Catholic Church, is the mystical body of Christ.

Question… How was the flesh body of Christ treated by its enemies almost 2,000 years ago?

It was mocked, ridiculed, insulted, lied about, scandalized, bloodied and persecuted. Redardless of the fact that it (HE) was holy, divine, and the font of all truth.

So long as the Catholic Church is indeed the body of Christ on earth, it too will endure such attacks.

Thal59

Remember, it says, Blessed be you when you are attacked and persecuted because of Me. Rejoice and be glad, because your reward will be great in heaven. (Paraphrased) So, everybody hang in there, and fight back as best you can.

[quote=josephdavid]One would be amazed how much the Catholic Church is supported in Scripture. The poor souls of todays Fundamentalists are taught by their pastors only certain parts of scripture and the hold it as complete.

But if they read the Bible complete and whole they will be amazed how much the Catholic Church is the Truth and the True Church of Christ.

Bring on those door knockers!!
[/quote]

No kidding! I used to get door-knockers all the time and I’d just slam the door on their faces. Now I don’t get any, but I wait for the day another one comes because now I’m armed not with a slamming door, but with the Truth of Christ (that and a Bible “Cheat Sheet” with all of the relevant verses :slight_smile: )

Marilena:

There’s this old saying: Kill them with kindness. This doesn’t always mean smile and take it all. Whenever it comes at you…think of it as God’s doorbell or telephone ring calling your services for the apostolate. Go beyond the vicious words and see that this is a soul that has been misled and has a passion for truth…and in all of the expanse of the universe, God has chosen YOU to be the one to remove the calcified false ideas to set this person free. Consider it a blessing.

I used to flame up and get argumentative everytime the church is attacked in my presence…now it’s the complete opposite, I actually smile and get excited. I try not to salivate! Hahah! I welcome it now more than ever. And always make a quick prayer to the Holy Spirit to guide you when it comes.

Keep studying your faith so you have thought out many of its aspects so you can comfortably share it.

God bless you: Defender of the Faith.

in XT.

[quote=AquinasXVI]Marilena:

There’s this old saying: Kill them with kindness. This doesn’t always mean smile and take it all. Whenever it comes at you…think of it as God’s doorbell or telephone ring calling your services for the apostolate. Go beyond the vicious words and see that this is a soul that has been misled and has a passion for truth…and in all of the expanse of the universe, God has chosen YOU to be the one to remove the calcified false ideas to set this person free. Consider it a blessing.

I used to flame up and get argumentative everytime the church is attacked in my presence…now it’s the complete opposite, I actually smile and get excited. I try not to salivate! Hahah! I welcome it now more than ever. And always make a quick prayer to the Holy Spirit to guide you when it comes.

Keep studying your faith so you have thought out many of its aspects so you can comfortably share it.

God bless you: Defender of the Faith.

in XT.
[/quote]

Aww…!!! you r sooo nice! Hugs! What a wonderful person you are! :slight_smile: God bless you! Abundantly! :slight_smile: I don’t argue, and that is good. I
have heard so many rotten things said about our faith, and being challenged on it recently by one group of door knockers, the mormons. We had a really good conversation, I told them genuinely that they are welcome back here anytime! one of them was eager to leave, but the other not. He wanted to discuss the Trinity, and i told them to come on back anytime they want :slight_smile:
Although they have not been back since. I just get mentally exhausted sometimes when blind people attack without wanting to see proof, i offer it, but they only want to argue, and when that happens, I cut it off right there, and say, “we’ll talk later”.

[quote=Marilena]. I just get mentally exhausted sometimes when blind people attack without wanting to see proof, i offer it, but they only want to argue, and when that happens, I cut it off right there, and say, “we’ll talk later”.
[/quote]

I know what you mean. Spend time with my family (father’s side) who are Born Again Christians and most are out right prejudice against Catholics and want to debate me and try to “save me” ever time I go to visit my Grandmother.

They become so angry when I open the bible and show where Catholism is the Truth. They can not accept that I am Catholic.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.