Getting to know people at bars

I don’t know if this is right or wrong. It may depend on what you do with it. I do not drink alcohol but do drink pop. I used to go out a couple of times a month to a bar to drink pop, relax and have conversation. When people get too much, I avoid them. I’ve met some interesting people there. I stay away from the sex, alcohol, and that garbage. I am single so there’s no significant other that has a problem with this. I do not go to bars looking for female companionship. Just friendly conversation and getting to know people. Is it ok to go out for this? It’s a lot like going to the kofc meetings. It’s a bar and there’s alcohol. I choose not to drink.

There is nothing wrong with it as long as you avoid the people that will be a bad influence on you.

What would be wrong with it? You’re not involving yourself in the remote occasions of sin (alcohol, flirting, etc.). There is no sin in going to a bar per se.

ICXC NIKA

That’s interesting that you say “remote occasions”. How is flirting and drinking alcohol as long as there’s control and soberness a “remote occasion”? I’m not going to do these things I am just interested in “remote occasion”. Are they themselves wrong or lead to wrong?

No.

We are to avoid near occasions of sin.

A remote occasion of sin is not in itself wrong, but **can **lead in some ways to sin.

The use of alcohol **can **lead to drunkenness; flirting **can **lead to fornication.

ICXC NIKA

Yes, but eating can lead to gluttony. Is eating a remote occasion?

I disagree. We are commanded to practice self control, but that does not inhibit our ability to act in situations that can lead to temptation (which includes nearly all circumstances). Dating *can *also lead to fornication, yet there is also a call to encourage this practice in order to achieve marriage. Therefore, I think it up to the individual to practice self-control in regards to these situations. If you think that drinking alcohol in a bar will inevitably lead to the excess of intemperance, then you are called to abstain. Otherwise, there is nothing morally wrong with the act.

Command to practice Self-control:

But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law. Galatians 5:22-23

Call to abstain (even from innocent acts) if we cannot practice Self-control:

If your right eye makes you stumble, tear it out and throw it from you; for it is better for you to lose one of the parts of your body, than for your whole body to be thrown into hell. If your right hand makes you stumble, cut it off and throw it from you; for it is better for you to lose one of the parts of your body, than for your whole body to go into hell. Matthew 5:29-30

Well I don’t date and don’t drink. Such things are not tempting to me. :shrug:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.