GF recipes

Okay, lets start a new thread that deals exclusively with gluten free recipes - and since it is the holiday season lets start with some holiday type recipes (-:.

To start with life is easier if you make some flour mixes ahead of time since gf cooking works best when you blend other types of grains and starches. My favorite blend is Carol’s Rice flour Blend from Carol Fenster’s book “Wheat-Free Recipes & Menus”

Carol’s Rice Flour Blend

Makes 4.5 - 5 cups

2 3/4 cup brown rice flour (white rice flour works too)
1 1/4 cup potato starch or cornstarch
3/4 cup tapioca flour

Put all in a well sealed container and shake the dickens out of it to mix :smiley: .

There are other flour mixes and as this thread develops I can share them with you all but I will continue to recommend getting the book!

Now that you have the mix you only need to really add one more thing in any recipe - xanthan gum or guar gum. I have only ever use xanthan gum so will only tell you what I do - for every cup of flour mix use 1/4-1 teasp. of xanthan gum when you are mixing all the dry ingredients together. You use the larger amount of xanthan gum if you want a more bread like consistancy and the lesser amount if you are looking for a more cake-like consistancy.

Here is the Krumkake recipe I use as it appears on the box of the iron:
3 eggs beaten
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup butter or margarine, melted
1/2 cup flour
1 tsp. lemon or vanlla extract

Here is my modification
3 eggs beaten
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup butter or margarine, melted
1/2 cup rice flour mix w/1/4 tsp. xanthan gum
1 tsp. lemon or vanlla extract

We made the first batch without the xanthan gum and it turned out okay but I think the xanthan gum gives it a little more adhesivenss!

Brenda V.

Great idea for a thread, Brenda.

I’m going to double post from the other thread & plug this magazine again:

www.livingwithout.com

Also, www.CherrybrookKitchen.com is a nice brand of mixes that’s in some pretty big chain-type grocery stores.

I just made my son’s 2nd birthday cake from 2 of their mixes: chocolate with chocolate frosting…mmmmm!

But wanted to post it here, so someone can figure out how to make it gluten free

PIZZELLES
12 eggs
3 tsp. vanilla
3 1/2 cups sugar
1 lb. oleo melted and cooled
1 tbsp. anise oil or seed
2 tbsp. whiskey ( I use water)
3 tsp. baking powder
**8 cups flour **(approx)

Beat eggs; add sugar gradually.  Add oleo, anise, whiskey; then flour and baking powder.  Let dough rest about   before baking.  Or, mix the night before and store in the refrigerator.  Drop by teaspoons or small balls on hot pizzelle iron.

While each pizzelle is freshly baked and still hot roll it around tube. Allow to cool, seam side down, while you are baking the next pizzelle.  

FILLING
1 cup milk
4 tbsp flour
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup vegetable shortening
1 tsp. vanilla
ground nuts

Blend flour and milk and cook for 10 minutes until mixture is slightly thick.  Set aside to cool.  Beat sugar, butter, vegetable shortening, and vanilla thoroughly.  Gradually add cooled milk mixture and beat.  Stuff rolled pizzelles and dip in ground nuts.

I am sure that you can cut this recipe down. It uses one dozen eggs and 8 cups of flour, but makes tons of them. They taste so good, I would love to be able to make them gluten free.

1 cup sugar
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup vegetable shortening
1 tsp. vanilla
ground nuts

Blend flour and milk and cook for 10 minutes until mixture is slightly thick.  Set aside to cool.  Beat sugar, butter, vegetable shortening, and vanilla thoroughly.  Gradually add cooled milk mixture and beat.  Stuff rolled pizzelles and dip in ground nuts.

Anywhere flour is used as a thickener as in the case of the filling you can substitute cornstarch or potato starch. Cornstarch is far easier to work with but I have been known to use potato starch too just so I don’t overload my body on corn!

Let’s redo the filling now (have to half it too so…):
FILLING
1/2 cup milk
3 teaspoons cornstarch
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup vegetable shortening
1/2 tsp. vanilla
ground nuts

Blend cornstarch and milk and cook for 10 minutes until mixture is slightly thick.  Set aside to cool.  Beat sugar, butter, vegetable shortening, and vanilla thoroughly.  Gradually add cooled milk mixture and beat.  Stuff rolled pizzelles and dip in ground nuts

Let us know how it turns out
:wink:

Brenda V.
[/quote]

Give me until I can get back up to Atlanta. Right now, all I have are a couple of mixes. But now I know what to get next time.

Thanks.

Stephanie,

I have heard of “Living Without” my husband brought one home from the store once. As for the baking mixes, never heard of Cherry Brook! I definitely tend to make things from scratch - always have :smiley: so it was not a big jump for me to go from baking with wheat to baking with other flours.

The mixes that we do use are “Bob’s Mill”. They make a really good GF brownie mix - I tried another brand and it was just yucky.

Brenda V.

Yah, I’m usually a “from scratch” baker/cook, too. But for the birthday cake for guests last night, I didn’t want to risk it & have it come out as one of my “Ooops! Well, it’s not that bad…” substitution creations! :slight_smile: And the cake & frosting were both scrumptious; I will definitely keep more on hand for emergencies.

(My son’s allergies are eggs, milk & peanuts, btw. He’s okay with gluten.)

Stephanie,

The “Wheat-Free” cookbook actually has a lot of suggestions for going milk and egg free too! See if your local library has it - actually anything by Carol Fenster would be good. I don’t think she has anything with peanuts in her books either which is good because peanuts are a migraine trigger for my daughter.

Brenda V.

Thanks, will do!:slight_smile:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.