Ghost Adventures

I think I started a thread about this once before, but is it a sin to watch this show or shows like this? I think it’s pretty goofy and kind of good for a laugh, but aren’t we told to not summon up spirits? They do (supposedly) do that on the show and even claim to encounter demonic spirits. Thoughts?

I think that for an adult it is just fine since you know the difference between fiction and reality. (Yes it is fiction even though it is advertised as “reality” tv.) A child however could get a bit confused so I would say that a parent just exercise judgement in whether or not the child should watch.

I don’t think it would be gravely sinful any way you look at it though.

Nothing wrong with watching for a good laugh. You’re not summoning up spirits you note
which is a good thing, no reason to get Satan to look our way.

Mary.

My grown sons jokingly call them the “Ghost Bros” and we quit watching after a very short time. Not so much because it might be sinful but because they are so unbearably stupid.

These guys act like it’s always a night out with a kegger or something and take risks that only a fool would do.

Inviting possession, and challenging spirits the way they do is dangerously idiotic and people who do that may one day wake up with very unwelcome “house guests” inside them. Watching stuff like that misleads ignorant people and may lead some of them to do things that are very dangerous.

I always think of such shows in the context of what our Blessed Lord Jesus Christ said in Matthew 12 [43] And when an unclean spirit is gone out of a man he walketh through dry places seeking rest, and findeth none. [44] Then he saith: I will return into my house from whence I came out. And coming he findeth it empty, swept, and garnished. [45] Then he goeth, and taketh with him seven other spirits more wicked than himself, and they enter in and dwell there: and the last state of that man is made worse than the first. So shall it be also to this wicked generation.

I used to watch that show for entertainment purposes and there were some instances where unexplainable things would happen. In my past I have had my own dealings with the spiritual realm and it hardly was a comfortable feeling. These guys very well could be putting their soul at risk and these spirits seem to fuel their fire and thirst for more. At some point they may get more than they bargained for, coming from personal experience

LOL about the “Ghost Bros” comment. Everything is “bro” this and “dude” that. It so silly.

I don’t know if they’re really summoning up spirits or not. It might all be fake.

During the voice overs, that Zak guy (bro, LOL) sounds like he’s reading a script, which he probably is, but it sounds so unnatural. These guys aren’t going to win any acting awards.

Maybe a ghost will win an acting award-if we can summon it up to receive it LOL ~

:smiley:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.