Ghosting Someone

I have never done it nor would want anyone to do it to me, but just out of curiosity would ghosting someone be considered a grave sin?

I would not do it to any one nor would want them to do it to me, but just out of curiosity would ghosting someone be a grave sin.

I don’t think so. More like something between rudeness and rot.

It could be, given certain circumstances. It’s not kind at all to set up expectations of love with someone, increasing their emotional attachment, and then just leaving them empty.

If one ghosted someone with intent to do harm, or took the relationship very far to the point that the other person very attached and perhaps ready to marry, I could see that being grave matter.

I think you would have to look an the intent of the perpetrator to be able to answer this. If it’s just someone with poor social skills or an inability to handle confrontation, likely not. But if it was done with full knowledge that it would cause the other person significant pain, and the intent to cause that person significant pain, then it might cross the line into grave sin.

Please don’t create duplicate threads.

Original thread here.

There are times when I know I’m getting old, and this is one of them. I have absolutely no idea what this is referring to.

urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=ghosting

ghost·ing
/ˈɡōstiNG/
end a personal relationship with (someone) by suddenly and without explanation withdrawing from all communication.

Ah, thanks. Do I want to ask if this is now considered a good way of ending a relationship?

Haha. :smiley: The answer is no, it seems to be universally abhorred, but thanks to the loosey-goosey dating culture we now have, it’s very common, especially with online dating. I’ve heard figures that as many as 50% of young men and women have been “ghosted” online, and nearly as many have done it themselves.

Trouble is, when it happens to them, they are more likely to do it to others, and so down the nasty spiral we go.

Not if you entered the relationship in good faith, I would say, if you are fine with it in your conscience.

People end relationships and don’t respond to communications frequently even before “ghosting” was a term.

Where scandal comes into play is if you try and manipulate or use someone.

That term was new to me, too! :smiley:

This is a new term to me too. But I’ve experienced it. After 25 years of marriage, my husband phoned me one night to tell me our marriage was over, he didn’t love me anymore and he wanted a divorce. He wouldn’t agree to meet with me to talk about it so I could understand why. I thought that after 25 years of marriage I deserved more than that.

I don’t see how that could possibly be considered a grave sin.

If a relationship is abusive or bad in other ways I would say that is exactly the way to make a break.

This situation is very different. I think what people are talking about are on-line relationships where people haven’t even met most of the time.

So I agree you deserve more than that, but there is definitely a contextual argument here.

Oops. Sorry. I did misunderstand.

Praying for you, in any case. That’s a terrible thing to just drop on someone, and a terrible way to go about it.

Most of the time when people “ghost” there’s not even a relationship yet. It’s a little rude and thoughtless but I doubt it’s grave matter in most cases

Me too.

But is it ghosting if there was no relationship yet to begin with? I ask this as someone who has been contacted by guys online, but so far most of them aren’t messaging anymore.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.