Ghosts?

What is the Church’s position on Ghosts? I’m under the impression that they are of demonic origin, especially the more hostile ones (like poltergeists, etc.). But, I’ve also heard of so-called “nice” ghosts that aren’t hostile towards people.

For example, someone I’m acquainted with someone who claims that she lived in a house that was haunted by the ghost of a child who apparently lived in late 1800’s or early 1900’s and was benevolent and even sometimes appeared and spoke to this woman and her husband. So, I was curious: what do you make of these “benevolent ghosts”?

As far as I know ghosts are of demonic origin. Scripture doesn’t support the fact that we become ghosts. Perhaps “nice” ghosts are just trying to fool people into thinking that they are not of demonic origin. This might distract people from scripture and fool them into thinking that we become ghosts after we die.

That these “benevolent ghosts” only appear by God’s will and control.

Questions about Ghosts have been asked in the ask an apologist forum. This may help answer your question.
forums.catholic.com/showpost.php?p=197048&postcount=2
%between%

If you do a search, you will find several very good threads on this topic. I’m sure they’ll answer any questions that you may have.

closed #6

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.