Giants CB Prince Amukamara: ‘Some People Call Me The Black Tim Tebow’

Catholic and celibate:

newyork.cbslocal.com/2013/09/18/giants-cb-prince-amukamara-some-people-call-me-the-black-tim-tebow/

…Giants cornerback Prince Amukamara is now being compared to Tebow, who was released by the Patriots on Aug. 31.

The comparison doesn’t have to do with their play on the field, but rather their actions off the field.

Big Blue’s first-round draft pick in 2011 told Muscle and Fitness that he never drinks alcohol, and is committed to staying celibate.

With that has come a nickname.

“Yeah, some people call me the black Tim Tebow,” the 24-year-old told the magazine. “I am a virgin. I’m not ashamed to say that.”

“I still haven’t had a drink,” the Nebraska alum said. “I told my fiance that I’ll probably take my first drink at my bachelor party. I grew up Catholic, so it just started out as one of those things. I’d think, ‘If I do this, maybe I can get to heaven,’ so I said no drinks, no sex, all the big things.”

husk husk husk

so proud that he is a Husker Alumni!

Added him to my list of Devout Catholics in the NFL that I would cheer for (if I watched NFL football).

“I grew up Catholic” doesn’t necessarily mean he still is. In any case its good hes being a role model and living a moral life, but the way that was quoted left me wondering. Its always sad when people “grow up” Catholic and then fall away to be a non-affiliated Christian.

Sad to say, he no longer considers himself Catholic. Campus Crusade for Christ in a well-known protestant group.

Amukamara was invited to speak at “I Agree with Prince” on behalf of the University of Nebraska-Lincoln’s Campus Crusade for Christ. Harvey Langrehr, a senior education major, said Cru often looks for athletes and other professionals to speak about how faith has altered their lives.

In his sophomore year of college, while struggling with football and loneliness, he said he turned to Hruska.
“I was asked if I wanted to be saved, and I said ‘yes,’” Amukamara said.

dailynebraskan.com/news/article_18648be8-bfde-5f0f-b0ab-56ec7a99f2a3.html

Chris Hruska “spent six years starting student discipleship movements at colleges all across Nebraska. Chris is responsible for equipping and coaching City Group leaders to create and multiply thriving City Groups all over Omaha. In his free time, Chris likes to play basketball, watch basketball, and talk about Jesus and basketball.” citylightomaha.org/about/

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.