Giants defend hiring David Tyree, despite anti-gay comments

profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/07/23/giants-defend-hiring-david-tyree-despite-anti-gay-comments/

The Giants’ decision to hire former receiver David Tyree as their new director of player development raised some eyebrows because Tyree has a history of anti-gay comments.

Tyree, best remembered for his “helmet catch” that helped the Giants win Super Bowl XLII, has said that he would give up that catch and that Giants Super Bowl title in exchange for banning gays and lesbians from getting married. Tyree views allowing gays and lesbians to marry as akin to “anarchy” and has also claimed that homosexuality is a choice, even though experts in the study of human sexuality say that’s not the case.

Now strong opposition to Tyree has come from the Human Rights Campaign, America’s largest LGBT civil rights advocacy group. Human Rights Campaign President Chad Griffin blasted the Giants for hiring Tyree.

“The idea that someone can change their sexual orientation or gender identity is ludicrous, and the New York Giants are risking their credibility by hiring someone who publicly advocates this junk science,” Griffin said. “His opposition to basic legal equality aside, David Tyree’s proselytizing of such dangerous practices goes against the positive work the Giants organization has done in recent years.”

The Giants, however, are standing by Tyree. Giants General Manager Jerry Reese confirmed that the Giants knew about Tyree’s anti-gay comments but still believe he’s the right man for the job.

“We do our due diligence on everyone we try and hire around here,” Reese said, via the Star-Ledger. “David was, No. 1 he was qualified, and we think he’s a terrific fit for us. We’re happy to have him on board.”

Tyree has committed to speak with Wade Davis, an openly gay former NFL player who has spoken publicly about the importance of the sports world being welcoming to gay athletes. To satisfy those who are criticizing the Giants, Tyree may also have to disavow some of his previous comments. So far, Tyree has not done that.

Yup. As I thought, he actually did say anti-gay stuff in his advocacy for harmful “change” efforts for sexual orientation. I didn’t think it possible he’d be attacked merely for his stance on marriage, and I was absolutely right.

I don’t understand how any of this has to do with football.

New York Giants football team not San Francisco Giants baseball, at least that’s what I thought of first.

You mean a celebrity speaks the truth? And is blasted for it? Wow we we wow.

Good on him.

“The idea that someone can change their sexual orientation or gender identity is ludicrous, and the New York Giants are risking their credibility by hiring someone who publicly advocates this junk science,” Griffin said.

That is just completely laughable. The FOOTBALL TEAM is risking their “credibility” in hiring him? Their credibility in what sense?

What gay kid, when considering whether being gay is a choice, consults the New York Giants? What on earth does credibility have to do with this?

:rotfl:

I don’t either. As a matter of fact sports in general has little importance to me at all. People spend too much time and money on it, and I could frankly care less about anything any of them think. They are like a separate culture all their own and they all get paid entirely too much for what they do. Boring.

I deeply admire the good brother David Tyree for his candor. We know that many have overcome their same-sex attraction tendencies through counseling, reflection and other means.

What do you mean by “overcome”?

Indeed, we live in an age where you MUST accept the homosexualist orthodoxy, even if the “you” is a football team.

“Human Rights Campaign”, indeed.

An organization that, judging by its inoccuous title, hasn’t got the guts to tell us what it’s really all about.

How much money do they rake in from people who say…hmmm…human rights campaign…sounds really altruistic…I’m for human rights…guess I’ll contribute.

Bottom line…sodomy isn’t a human right; it’s an act which indicates a disordred compulsion.

Looks to me he ascribed to the same view of homosexuality that our Church does.And for that he should be banned from holding a job?

I don’t understand how being opposed to same sex “marriage” gives this tabloid and the HRC the idea that he is “anti-gay”. :shrug:

He said things that are contrary to the left/liberal secular gay agenda. Therefore the gay mafia (cleverly disguised as “human rights campaign”) is out to get him. Intolerance and deception reign among the radical left. Very ironic indeed. I wonder how long it will take for them to focus their intolerance and deception on the church? Maybe try to force the parish to conduct the gay “wedding”? Of course that can never happen here, right? Advice to liberal Catholics : don’t take your religious freedom for granted.

Ishiguro

They already have.Witness Catholic Charities being forced out of the adoption ministry in two States for their refusal to sanction homosexual additions.

forums.catholic.com/showpost.php?p=12204473&postcount=2

He wasn’t attacked for his stance on marriage. He was attacked over his obstinate support for conversion therapy, which is extremely harmful, especially to LGBT minors. Supporting conversion therapy is being anti-gay.

How is his support for conversion therapy obstinate? He (and others) disagree with you - so they are obstinate? They believe that ssa can be reversed. How is that anti-gay?

Ishii

He believes it in the face of all scientific evidence showing that conversion therapy does not work, and with no consideration of the fact that Exodus International closed down and issued a tearful apology to all those they hurt through it. Conversion therapy is harmful to kids; it is anti-gay to wish for something that hurts them, regardless of whether you believe it doesn’t hurt them. If you tell a kid to touch a hot stove, I don’t care if you don’t believe in burns; you’re still harming that kid.

It’s not obstinate nor anti-gay. He again, is being persecuted by the gay advocacy side.

And also, according to the article, he said it’s a “choice” (indirect quote).

Seriously, who would “choose” to be gay?

The Catholic Church teaches that there is a difference between homosexual orientation and being an active homosexual. The former may not be a choice but the latter always is.

Many other faiths do not teach the difference. They either lump it all together or they define homosexuality as one who has sex with someone of the same sex. If Mr. Tyree is of the latter persuasion, his statement is completely and objectively true.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.