Gibson's new movie: in Mayan!

Gibson goes MesoAmerican:

A year after breaking box-office records with “The Passion of the Christ,” which was shot in Aramaic, Latin and Hebrew, Gibson has struck a deal with the Walt Disney Co. to release his next picture in a Mayan dialect. Gibson is due to begin shooting the film, titled “Apocalypto,” on location in Mexico in October and is aiming for a summer 2006 release, spokesman Alan Nierob said on Monday.

As with “Passion,” Gibson will direct and produce the Mayan-language film from his own script through his own company, Icon Productions, and he will not appear in the movie.

The film’s cast will consist of unknown performers native to the region of Mexico where the film is being shot, Nierob said. Few others details about Gibson’s project were revealed.

“He lets his work speak for itself,” Nierob said.

I heard he was making a new movie, but missed the info on it! I’m glad you heard it. Does anyone know what it is about? “Apocalypto”, huh? Sounds like an end-times movie to me, but I can’t believe it. Why would it be in Mayan? And why would he want to go there? :confused: Maybe to debunk all the “left Behind” nonsense?

[quote=legeorge]I heard he was making a new movie, but missed the info on it! I’m glad you heard it. Does anyone know what it is about? “Apocalypto”, huh? Sounds like an end-times movie to me, but I can’t believe it. Why would it be in Mayan? And why would he want to go there? :confused: Maybe to debunk all the “left Behind” nonsense?
[/quote]

All I know is that the article says it’s set 500 years ago in the past.

If it were April 1st, I would say it was an April Fool’s joke. In fact, I still might say it.:smiley:

[quote=Ahimsa]All I know is that it’s set 500 years ago in the past.
[/quote]

Hah! Then there goes that theory!! :wink: Anyone else??? :confused:

[quote=legeorge]Hah! Then there goes that theory!! :wink: Anyone else??? :confused:
[/quote]

I’d would guess it would be about the demise of the Mayan people due to the Spanish Conquistadors?

[quote=Ahimsa]All I know is that it’s set 500 years ago in the past.

If it were April 1st, I would say it was an April Fool’s joke. In fact, I still might say it.:smiley:
[/quote]

Actually I heard it was set 3000 years ago.

And the word Apocolypto gets back to the roots of the word which are apparently Greek. In the ancient Greecian tongue the word means “an unveiling” or “beginning again”.

The article says:
The story, which Gibson began writing nine months ago, is described as a “unique adventure” set 500 years in the past. [Spokesman] Nierob said the title, “Apocalypto,” was taken from the Greek word for an unveiling or new beginning.
I’m going to guess that it has something to do with the first encounter between Mayans and Europeans and that the introduction of Christianity to the New World will play a role. If Gibson sticks to his counter-cultural guns, I wouldn’t be surprised to see him take on the PC conventional wisdom that the arrival of Christianity was nothing but bad for the indigenous people.

–Bill

It may be about the visions of Guadalupe and the conversion of the South American peoples, but if he called it that, it wouldn’t sound so interesting, would it? :wink:

This article says 3,000 years…which is it?

empireonline.co.uk/site/news/newsstory.asp?news_id=16974

500 years in the past, that’s just about the time the Lady of Guadalupe appears.

[quote=Mot Juste]The article says:The story, which Gibson began writing nine months ago, is described as a “unique adventure” set 500 years in the past. [Spokesman] Nierob said the title, “Apocalypto,” was taken from the Greek word for an unveiling or new beginning.I’m going to guess that it has something to do with the first encounter between Mayans and Europeans and that the introduction of Christianity to the New World will play a role. If Gibson sticks to his counter-cultural guns, I wouldn’t be surprised to see him take on the PC conventional wisdom that the arrival of Christianity was nothing but bad for the indigenous people.

–Bill
[/quote]

news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=56092

cinemablend.com/new.php?id=1373

mg.co.za/articlePage.aspx?articleid=246219&area=/breaking_news/breaking_news__international_news/

channelnewsasia.com/stories/entertainment/view/159420/1/.html

The Press Release must have said 3000 years. And not all the articles indicate his intent to have the actors speaking ancient Myan. The only thing consistent is that this will be shot in Mexico, and that this is 3000 years ago, and that Apocolypto means unveiling in Greek.

The movie probably has scenes from both time periods: c. 2000-3000 BC and c. 1500 AD.

I have a hunch. Gibson is a very traditionalist Catholic. He probably believes in prophecy, and thinks the Left Behind books are not totally off-base.

This is where the Mayans and Christian prophecy dovetail. The Mayans have an ancient calendar, whose starting date is:

August 13, 3114 BC (Gregorian): Starting point of Classic Maya Long-Count Calendar

In the Maya Long-Count calendar, the starting point is not the absolute beginning, but rather it marks the beginning of this particular world in which we live (other worlds had been created before this one, but were destroyed).

Many believe that the date 21 December 2012 marks the end of the world in the Mayan calendar. Whether that is literally true or not (see here), it is clear that the year 2012 is seen by many as a year that will usher in many world-changing events, perhaps even the end of the world, in some sense or other.

I think Gibson might use the Mayan calendar and the year 2012 as backdrop to the millennium expectation of the return of Christ.

It would make a nice sequel to “The Passion”. :smiley:

[quote=cathgal]500 years in the past, that’s just about the time the Lady of Guadalupe appears.
[/quote]

True, but the Aztecs (who dominated Mexico at the time) didn’t speak Mayan. They spoke Nahuatl.

Then again, maybe the movie is actually about the Aztecs (and, thus, about Guadalupe), and not the Mayans (and not about the 2012 date). A bit of disinformation to keep us off-balance.:slight_smile:

[quote=Ahimsa]The movie probably has scenes from both time periods: c. 2000-3000 BC and c. 1500 AD.

I have a hunch. Gibson is a very traditionalist Catholic. He probably believes in prophecy, and thinks the Left Behind books are not totally off-base.

This is where the Mayans and Christian prophecy dovetail. The Mayans have an ancient calendar, whose starting date is:

August 13, 3114 BC (Gregorian): Starting point of Classic Maya Long-Count Calendar

In the Maya Long-Count calendar, the starting point is not the absolute beginning, but rather it marks the beginning of this particular world in which we live (other worlds had been created before this one, but were destroyed).

Many believe that the date 21 Decembe 2012 marks the end of the world in the Mayan calendar. Whether that is literally true or not (see here), it is clear that the year 2012 is seen by many as a year that will usher in many world-changing events, perhaps even the end of the world, in some sense or other.

I think Gibson might use the Mayan calendar and the year 2012 as backdrop to the millennium expectation of the return of Christ.

It would make a nice sequel to “The Passion”. :smiley:
[/quote]

Interesting theory, but the press release says it is a non-religious movie. I’m intrigued.

Does anybody know of any key visions in Mexico circa 1000BC?

[quote=Shiann]news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=56092

cinemablend.com/new.php?id=1373

mg.co.za/articlePage.aspx?articleid=246219&area=/breaking_news/breaking_news__international_news/

channelnewsasia.com/stories/entertainment/view/159420/1/.html

The Press Release must have said 3000 years. And not all the articles indicate his intent to have the actors speaking ancient Myan. The only thing consistent is that this will be shot in Mexico, and that this is 3000 years ago, and that Apocolypto means unveiling in Greek.
[/quote]

The links given are pretty much the same news (wording) just different sources. So it’s either CNN or these. Two different news actually.

[quote=rlg94086]Interesting theory, but the press release says it is a non-religious movie. I’m intrigued.
[/quote]

With a name like “Apokalypto”, it might not focus on religion, but the religious implications might serve as a back-drop.

[quote=cathgal]The links given are pretty much the same news (wording) just different sources. So it’s either CNN or these. Two different news actually.
[/quote]

Most of them use the release written by the AFP or Agence France-Presse.

[quote=Shiann]Most of them use the release written by the AFP or Agence France-Presse.
[/quote]

This just appeared in my inbox from Newsmax…

Now comes word that the next movie Gibson will direct, “Apocalypto,” will be filmed in an obscure Mayan dialect.

The movie will star a neophyte cast indigenous to the region of Mexico where Gibson will shoot the film, according to the trade paper Variety, which says it will “presumably” have the “same kind of subtitles Gibson reluctantly added to ‘The Passion of the Christ.’”

Earlier reports claimed the movie would be set 3,000 years ago, but Gibson’s spokesman Alan Nierob is now saying it’s set 500 years in the past.

Several studios bid for U.S. distribution rights for the film, which Gibson is bankrolling, before Disney got the nod.

And the fact that more than one studio bid for the project “shows Gibson’s viability and makes laughable last year’s prediction by the New York Times that Gibson would be blackballed by Jewish executives after the ‘Passion’ controversy,” according to Variety.

In fact, Gibson was deluged with $20-million offers for his acting services after “Passion” was released.

Sources say “Apocalypto,” which is set for a summer 2006 release, won’t have a religious theme and could even carry an R rating due to violent scenes in the script.

Still says it’s not religious, but I agree with Ahimsa that their may be a spiritual theme as a backdrop to the violence…

IF that date of 2012 were to hold true, then wouldn’t (by Protestant’s point of view) that the Anti-Christ wouldh ave to appear THIS YEAR! (seven years of tribuation). In others before the end of this year.
SO if it doesn’t happen, then we all will know either
A). The 2012 date is wrong
OR
B) Protestants will have to ‘rethink’ the Rapture and look to the Catholic Point of view
OR
C) None of it will happen or matter.

(sorry if this is a bit off topic). :slight_smile:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.