Gideons Bible

What is a Gideons Bible? Who uses this bible?

The Gideon Society distributes bibles all over the world. It is best known in the U.S. for placing bibles in hotel rooms. I think they distribute the King James version of the bible, but that is just a guess on my part

See the link on a short history of the Gideons.

ks.essortment.com/gideonbible_rcwz.htm

[quote=SnorterLuster]The Gideon Society distributes bibles all over the world. It is best known in the U.S. for placing bibles in hotel rooms. I think they distribute the King James version of the bible, but that is just a guess on my part

[/quote]

Yup. KJV. I ask all my kids in 6th Grade CCD to bring their Bibles with them to every class, and one of my boys faithfully brings his Gideon Bible (which some relative undoubtedly took out of a room :rolleyes: ). It is a bare-bones Bible. Nothing but – the Bible and a table of contents. No notes, no maps, no glossary, no concordance: no nuttin.

A Gideon Bible is one that is distributed by the Gideon Society, an independent protestant ministry whose stated mission is to print and distribute as many bibles around the world. They’re the ones who place bibles in hotel rooms across the globe.

Historically, they’ve distributed different protestant bibles for decades, but recently have begun printing Catholic bibles for distribution in predominantly Catholic countries.

They are rather benign, and quite helpful too. Catholic missionaries in need of bibles can contact the Society and request bibles free of charge no matter where they are sent, and the Society is happy to oblige. I have a Catholic bible that was printed and sent to me by Gideon while I was in Iraq, and several pocket bibles that we Soldiers like to carry that contain only Psalms, Proverbs, and the New Testament.

The Society is not anti-Catholic. It’s mission is non-sectarian, as they will distribute bibles to where ever they see a need. They are solely doner funded.

Mike

[quote=trustmc]A Gideon Bible is one that is distributed by the Gideon Society, an independent protestant ministry whose stated mission is to print and distribute as many bibles around the world. They’re the ones who place bibles in hotel rooms across the globe.

Historically, they’ve distributed different protestant bibles for decades, but recently have begun printing Catholic bibles for distribution in predominantly Catholic countries.

They are rather benign, and quite helpful too. Catholic missionaries in need of bibles can contact the Society and request bibles free of charge no matter where they are sent, and the Society is happy to oblige. I have a Catholic bible that was printed and sent to me by Gideon while I was in Iraq, and several pocket bibles that we Soldiers like to carry that contain only Psalms, Proverbs, and the New Testament.

The Society is not anti-Catholic. It’s mission is non-sectarian, as they will distribute bibles to where ever they see a need. They are solely doner funded.

Mike
[/quote]

Even if they distributed only KJV Bibles (and I am delighted to learn that they have a broader spectrum!), ya gotta love an organization that puts Bibles into the hands of travelers all over the world.

They pass out pocket sized KJV New Testaments at our public schools - DS said every kid wanted one!

Thank you to everyone. All the information provided has been very useful.

[quote=kage_ar]They pass out pocket sized KJV New Testaments at our public schools - DS said every kid wanted one!
[/quote]

Probably coz they’re so darn cute-looking! I actually had one stored away in my desk at work, just in case I needed to look up a verse, then go home and reference the same verse in my Catholic bible. :thumbsup:

[quote=SnorterLuster]The Gideon Society distributes bibles all over the world. It is best known in the U.S. for placing bibles in hotel rooms. I think they distribute the King James version of the bible, but that is just a guess on my part

[/quote]

In the UK at least they’ve switched from KJV to NIV.

Good people. (not for that - for the free Bible distributions. Every child in the UK is offered a free New Testament to read. Though there are probably schools out there now that won’t let The Gideons in. I don’t know)

I think its the NKJV. The pocket New Testament I have from them is NKJV.

The Gideons came to our parochial school and gave us all a Douay-Rheims New Testament back in 1941. I kept it many years until it fell apart.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.