Gift for a priest who is leaving our parish

Wow, I can't figure out which forum to ask this on, so I'll try here.

One of our parish/diocesan priests is taking a one year leave of absence to return to school. It is doubtful he will be coming back here to us, but who knows. He is a lovely man and he always makes me smile. He asked me to pray for him when he is in school.

I would like to give him a gift - I am a quilter and recently completed a nice quilt that, because of the pattern and my color choices, looks like a series of crosses. It just says Fr. (blank) all over it, to my viewpoint. Do you think it would be allowable to give him this?

No ulterior motives, believe me (I am in my 60's, he maybe in his 30's).

Whatcha think?? :sad_bye:

I think the quilt would make a lovely gift. An older lady in our parish who is an accomplished quilter, gave our young parochial vicar a quilt, and he loved it. A quilt would be a great reminder to your priest of how he was appreciated when he served at your parish.

[quote="halleone, post:1, topic:243184"]
I would like to give him a gift - I am a quilter and recently completed a nice quilt that, because of the pattern and my color choices, looks like a series of crosses. It just says Fr. (blank) all over it, to my viewpoint. Do you think it would be allowable to give him this?

[/quote]

I think that would be an incredibly thoughtful gift. He'll be a lucky man to have received it.:hug3:

A quilt?? heck yeah!!! you must know how hard and time consuming that is!! even machine made it is not child's play. I think that is a perfect gift and one that he would cherish. Go for it!! what a precious gift that would be. Labor of love. God Bless Scoob

What a wonderful gift to give. Your time, your treasure and talent will be a gentle reminder to him of his time with you and the parish. How lucky the priest is and it will a reminder for him to pray for you and your family on a daily basis:)

For the life of me, why would you have to include the phrase "no ulterior motives"?

Aren't we all supposed to be taking care of one another, including the priests?

We are to love our neighbors, as ourselves. Priests live a life of sacrifice and something like that would be heartwarming for sure. All the TLC put into it...what a wonderful gift.:thumbsup:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.