Gift for my priest

I will be baptized at the Easter Vigil and my priest taught the RCIA class, I was the only non-Catholic student. The other members of the class were Catholic and they were attending just as a refresher. I really enjoyed the class and my priest was great, I learned a lot. He attended my Rite of Election ceremony and he organized a retreat for me with other church members. Would it be appropriate to give my priest a gift after baptism? I understand sometimes a gift is given after infant baptism. What about a gift after adult baptism?

Absolutely - priests, like the rest of us, welcome gifts at any time and for any reason :D

Some diocese require their priests to hand over money received for weddings and baptisms (sometimes called "stole fees") to the diocese, however I am not aware of such rule applying for other gifts. Any gift should be simple and relatively inexpensive - basically, just the same as any sort of "thank you" gift you'd give anyone else (so, for example, bottle of wine would be fine, all expenses paid world cruise not so fine...).

In addition to (or instead of) a physical gift, you might consider having a Mass said for him.

[quote="InThePew, post:2, topic:318801"]
Absolutely - priests, like the rest of us, welcome gifts at any time and for any reason :D

Some diocese require their priests to hand over money received for weddings and baptisms (sometimes called "stole fees") to the diocese, however I am not aware of such rule applying for other gifts. Any gift should be simple and relatively inexpensive - basically, just the same as any sort of "thank you" gift you'd give anyone else (so, for example, bottle of wine would be fine, all expenses paid world cruise not so fine...).

[/quote]

Thanks!

Thanks!

Small gifts are wonderful. Gift cards come in handy for this.

Or you could get together with the others and present him with a “spiritual bouquet”. This consists of a card where each person signs what devotion/sacrament they will be offering for the priest’s intentions: Rosary, Holy Hour, Mass, Novena, Reception of Holy Communion, other special prayers, etc.

[quote="grasscutter, post:6, topic:318801"]
Small gifts are wonderful. Gift cards come in handy for this.

Or you could get together with the others and present him with a "spiritual bouquet". This consists of a card where each person signs what devotion/sacrament they will be offering for the priest's intentions: Rosary, Holy Hour, Mass, Novena, Reception of Holy Communion, other special prayers, etc.

[/quote]

I love your suggestion. Thanks!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.