Gift of Tears...get it right

Why do I hear one thing about the Gift of Tears and then another? For example, I was reading the Q&A at EWTN.com (here’s the link to the gift of tears): ewtn.com/vexperts/showmessage.asp?Pgnu=1&Pg=Forum12&recnu=6&number=446267

and why did the guy replying say that it could be an overflow of emotions, our unworthiness, in God’s nearness, etc. when I read somewhere else that this gift is given to some people BUT it has NO EMOTIONS, as if the tears just come without the person being emotional.

I’m not trying to sound angry or anything but why do I hear one thing about something then hear something totally different about it?

Can I actually trust the CC??

Sorry, that was pathetic of me…

[quote=Paris Blues]Why do I hear one thing about the Gift of Tears and then another? For example, I was reading the Q&A at EWTN.com (here’s the link to the gift of tears): ewtn.com/vexperts/showmessage.asp?Pgnu=1&Pg=Forum12&recnu=6&number=446267

and why did the guy replying say that it could be an overflow of emotions, our unworthiness, in God’s nearness, etc. when I read somewhere else that this gift is given to some people BUT it has NO EMOTIONS, as if the tears just come without the person being emotional.

I’m not trying to sound angry or anything but why do I hear one thing about something then hear something totally different about it?

[/quote]

I think what is meant by not being associated with emotions is that it is not the same as being overwhelmed by tears of sadness, like at a funeral or when you are upset. Or tears of joy from a specific reason - something you can control.

From what I have experienced, you have no idea why you are crying, cannot pinpoint the reason and have no control over the tears.

I think it is a sign of God’s love and compassion.

[quote=jrabs]I think what is meant by not being associated with emotions is that it is not the same as being overwhelmed by tears of sadness, like at a funeral or when you are upset. Or tears of joy from a specific reason - something you can control.

From what I have experienced, you have no idea why you are crying, cannot pinpoint the reason and have no control over the tears.

I think it is a sign of God’s love and compassion.
[/quote]

Hmmm…interesting…

Yeah but let’s say I or someone was just walking on a beautiful spring day and out of nowhere, tears would start coming and there was nothing to be crying about…if that right there was the gift of tears, would there be an emotion then even though you had no clue why?

[quote=Paris Blues]Hmmm…interesting…

Yeah but let’s say I or someone was just walking on a beautiful spring day and out of nowhere, tears would start coming and there was nothing to be crying about…if that right there was the gift of tears, would there be an emotion then even though you had no clue why?
[/quote]

Well, if you are in awe of God’s glory, then I would say it may be the gift of tears. Unless you stepped on a nail - then no. :smiley:

[quote=Paris Blues]Why do I hear one thing about the Gift of Tears and then another? For example, I was reading the Q&A at EWTN.com (here’s the link to the gift of tears): ewtn.com/vexperts/showmessage.asp?Pgnu=1&Pg=Forum12&recnu=6&number=446267

This would pretty well describe it for me. I feel absolutely overwhelming sadness, sometimes anger.

and why did the guy replying say that it could be an overflow of emotions, our unworthiness, in God’s nearness, etc.when I read somewhere else that this gift is given to some people BUT it has NO EMOTIONS, as if the tears just come without the person being emotional.

As someone pointed out, what this person may have been referring to is not that we don’t feel anything that spurs the tears, but it is not the same as for example the emotion we feel at a funeral.

Who said the second one? What was the context? Maybe you misunderstood? Or maybe the person just did not know what they were talking about. You’ve been around here awhile, just because someone says that “This is the teaching of the Catholic Church” doesn’t mean they are correct. Some are like Jack Chick are easier to spot, others are well-meaning, but just wrong, not malicious, just wrong.

Yes, you know you can. But reading “somewhere” does not mean what you read was a teaching of the CC. You can trust the official teachings of the CC because you trust in God and the promises He made to the Church.

Yeah, a little. :slight_smile: But you needed the reassurance. Better to let it out than let it fester.

God Bless,
Maria

[/quote]

I read the second answer in the famous magazine, “Catholic Answers” !! Yeah, I got a free copy in the mail and happened to flip through it and saw it. But I’ll go home later and double check it! :stuck_out_tongue:

Sometimes when I’m in the presence of God. I cry. I can’t describe why I’m crying but I just cry. Its not really emotionally like I"m sad. It’s just this powerful feeling of being in his presence.

This happened long before I ever decided to be Catholic. If you’ve ever really felt the presence of God so powerfully? Sometimes the only thing you can really do is cry.

The first time I ever felt his presence like that. Was in this little Methodist prayer meeting I was leading. God spoke to me about how the prayer meeting needed to change. He wanted us to take some time and praise him. Before we started really praying. So, we did we didn’t sing much really or shout. All we did was sit there and just tell God how wonderful he was. All I can say is that his presence started coming down in that little room. It was almost like a thick cloud. When you feel his presence like that, the only thing you can do is cry.

I also felt his presence like that when I was at my cousin’s wedding, during the mass. It was just this amazIng feeling of wow! Jesus died for me. It’s one of the reasons I decided to become Catholic. Because darn it, I want to go to a Church where every week Christ crucified is proclaimed!

I have also experienced this… I think that people who experience this are those who are VERY sensitive in their souls to the presence of God. When I am at church and the pastor or someone talking says God loves YOU, I cry. I always feel as if I am in the presence of God wherever I go but when I hear those words it’s like He is saying them to ME. And my soul aches for that so I cry. Does this make sense?

I’ve been experiencing this more and more over the last few years. I can be just praying before mass and glancing at the crucifix, or find myself weeping during one of the hymns. I have had it happen often as I am saying “Lord I am not worthy…” or in the midst of centering prayer.

I used to get concerned with looking weepy since our culture doesn’t look really favorably on this from its men. I no longer worry about it though and my wife seems to recognize that whatever it is, it’s ok.

I also find myself experiencing it often when hearing of the many joys and horrors in the world: the mudslides in Guatemala, or the earthquake in Pakistan, or the abused or neglected child. At times it becomes as if the entire pain of the world seems to enter my mind.

I have experienced this only as I came back to the Church and it drives me crazy trying to hold it in! I am a Man, I am not supposed to cry! Yet there I am in Mass tearing up like a little girl, :slight_smile:
(no offense ladies)
Yet I don’t know why it happens, it is not always emotional it just happens at times without warning.

I am not sure if this is authentically the Gift of Tears, yet I am not one to cry easily. I am pretty nicely detached from my emotions, yet this happens. (for guys being detached is something we practice as we grow up) So inconvenient as it is, this is something special.
For me this is a gift, a touch from God.

In Christ,
Scylla

[quote=scylla]I have experienced this only as I came back to the Church and it drives me crazy trying to hold it in! I am a Man, I am not supposed to cry! Yet there I am in Mass tearing up like a little girl, :slight_smile:
(no offense ladies)
Yet I don’t know why it happens, it is not always emotional it just happens at times without warning.

I am not sure if this is authentically the Gift of Tears, yet I am not one to cry easily. I am pretty nicely detached from my emotions, yet this happens. (for guys being detached is something we practice as we grow up) So inconvenient as it is, this is something special.
For me this is a gift, a touch from God.

In Christ,
Scylla
[/quote]

I totally agree with you here. The point is that it isn’t caused by emotion, although at least for me it often occurs simultaneously with strong emotions–be they love, acceptance, or deep sorrow. I do often feel that I am being offered the gift of a glimpse into the heart of God.

Peace,

being overwhelmed… spiritually… totally… and lacking any other
means to release it…

:slight_smile:

The Gift of Tears is the term used for that experience sometimes arising from the Prayer of Quiet, that level of prayer wherein God initiates the soul into the beginnings of the higher states of prayer. The Prayer of Quiet can give rise to a great delight in the depths of the soul that overflows into gentle tears. The Gift of Tears does not, for example, arise from an overwhelming feeling of grief for one’s sins.

The prayer [of quiet]. . .is very easy when compared with the effort involved in discursive meditation, and even if it lasts a long time, it does not weary the recipient. Because it is infused, this prayer can be neither originated nor prolonged by our efforts or desire, and it can bring to one’s intimate depths a great delight, a delight that can spill over into the body on the emotional level. Tears may accompany this contemplation, but if they do, they are, says [St.] Teresa [of Jesus], ‘Gentle and without distress,’ Fire Within, Fr. Thomas Dubay, Ignatius Press, pgs. 88-89.

closed #14

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.