Gift of Tears

Upon searching, there were only 2 other threads concerning the title. One is closed since '06, and the other didn't really address what I wanted to talk about.

I never knew about the 'Gift of Tears' until I searched around to find out 'why' I was weeping uncontrollably at Mass. It's not as though I'm sobbing/making noises or anything,but I've found myself to be shedding tears sporadically throughout the service. From one side of the face to the other.

I made it a point within this last yr. or so to sit at the back of the church because I didn't want anyone to see me wiping them away. However, within the last few months, I've been inching my way forward towards the front, and not really caring if others see this or not. I'm still self conscious, but don't care at this point. :)

Sometimes the tears happen even if I'm just in a calm state, but more so when our Priest is saying Mass, and right after receiving Communion; especially when I kneel and give thanksgiving.

Has anyone else had this happen?

Thanks kindly.

Yes! Sometimes, the tears fall during the readings. Sometimes, during the homily. Almost always after receiving as I contemplate the crucifix. They are a combination of sorrow for my sins and joy at our redemption through Christ. I look at his lifeless Body and think, "Lord, is my soul worth that much?" Since I am immunocompromised, I sit in the first or second row and try not to let it bother me if others see it - the Lord sees it!

Yes, I have the "gift of tears" frequently. I usually have this gift right after I receive the Eucharist. However, I have had the tears at the Consecration too. I only have these tears when I am calm and not emotionally upset over something. It is a wonderful experience and gift from God.

I used to bawl through Mass, constantly.

I went to a women's retreat day once that had a group of fine musicians playing, and the moment the music started the tears started flowing and would not stop. It was as if a dam broke. I think it is the Holy Spirit.

I have experienced this several times.

[quote="CB_Catholic, post:5, topic:326036"]
I went to a women's retreat day once that had a group of fine musicians playing, and the moment the music started the tears started flowing and would not stop. It was as if a dam broke. I think it is the Holy Spirit.

I have experienced this several times.

[/quote]

Yes! It is, as are all charisms ("Gifts"), of the holy Spirit. They flow from a contrite heart - a heart that realizes that our sins are the nails which pierced our Lord.

[quote="At_His_Feet, post:1, topic:326036"]
Upon searching, there were only 2 other threads concerning the title. One is closed since '06, and the other didn't really address what I wanted to talk about.

I never knew about the 'Gift of Tears' until I searched around to find out 'why' I was weeping uncontrollably at Mass. It's not as though I'm sobbing/making noises or anything,but I've found myself to be shedding tears sporadically throughout the service. From one side of the face to the other.

I made it a point within this last yr. or so to sit at the back of the church because I didn't want anyone to see me wiping them away. However, within the last few months, I've been inching my way forward towards the front, and not really caring if others see this or not. I'm still self conscious, but don't care at this point. :)

Sometimes the tears happen even if I'm just in a calm state, but more so when our Priest is saying Mass, and right after receiving Communion; especially when I kneel and give thanksgiving.

Has anyone else had this happen?

Thanks kindly.

[/quote]

I know this is an old post, but I was tired of the other threads so thought I would look at something else and found this one interesting.

Yes, I too use to cry and be teary eyed frequently during worship. This is what I would like to say if it isn't too late.. Let those tears come. Who cares what others think, you are engaged in a personal and intimate relationship with the Trinity. I want to encourage you to let those tears come because I started choking mine back. After a while, they stopped all together and now I can't get them to come for anything.

Yes, let the tears come AND if there are empty seats in the front of the church, go there. Get as close to Jesus as you can. It's terrible to have the front rows empty... He wants us close to Him.

There is a Votive Mass for the Gift of Tears .

[quote="petra22, post:8, topic:326036"]
Yes, let the tears come AND if there are empty seats in the front of the church, go there. Get as close to Jesus as you can. It's terrible to have the front rows empty... He wants us close to Him.

[/quote]

That is so good to hear. I always sit in the front row if I can and I do whatever I can to do so. I asked myself why? I thought about it and realized that I have this tremendous need to be as close to the altar as possible. I have even become a Eucharistic Minister to be even closer.

I feel finding this thread is a gift, as well. I am just coming home to the Catholic church

after many years away. I will be confirmed in 2 weeks.

Sometimes I have tears during the mass when I am joining with the passion of Christ,

sometimes I am sorrowful how I have hurt him, sometimes over all of those lost to him.

sometimes in pure joy during mass.

Sometimes when in confession I sob. I know my sins are forgiven and I am humbled that

He would lead me back to His church, all together unworthy am I.

The last couple of weeks I have had even more tears and it has really concerned me.

especially since yesterday **the priest has told me I am to emotional and out of balance

because of it and I should just be happy. ( for those wondering, no I am not making

a dramatic scene, being noisy or being disruptive to mass or others:-)

He told me to read Eccl 3:1-8 ( a season for all things). I understood this in the context of

all he said -so, in church is not the time for tears, and to

be happy.* so, I am sorrowful maybe I have added to priest sorrow and uneasiness.

so, of course! during mass this morning I had tears. because I do not understand. maybe

for myself which is not a good reason, to be focused on self when my desire is to be

focused on Christ, and for the priest who I

seem to have not been helpful

at all. but they came. :gopray:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.