Gilbertine Renewal

The Gilbertines were the only native English pre-Reformation order but were rendered extinct by the dissolution of the monasteries. Here is the Gilbertine Renewal site:

cloisters.tripod.com/gilbertinerenewal/

Membership on the yahoo group as a Lay Gilbertine is required for those who wish to be Gilbertine Renewal religious.

groups.yahoo.com/group/gilbertines/

Blessings,
cloisters

This is most interesting. I’ve been reading a great deal about medieval monasticism of late and I did wonder where the Gilbertines had vanished to! :slight_smile:

I have a priest-friend in England (ordained by Blessed John Paul II thirty years ago next month), and the first parish he was assigned to as a pastor-or, as the Brits say, ‘parish priest’-was named ‘St. Gilbert’s’.

And when he was transferred to his current parish in 1997, one of the gifts the parishioners gave him on leaving was a wall plaque with St. Gilbert’s symbol: a crutch. I saw that plaque when I visited him in 1997 and in 1999.

Back on topic…:blush: :o : I think it’s very cool that there is thought of a ‘Gilbertine revival’!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.