Girl, 14, taken w/o parent's permission to get BC after school

wltx.com/news/story.aspx?storyid=104463&catid=2

This is a local news story from Charleston.

A 14 yr old girl was taken from school by a member of "Carolina Empowerment Group" to get a birth control shot at the clinic, without the parent's knowledge.

The mother would not have let her child do this and is VERY upset she wasn't informed.

It is state law in SC that allows minors to receive medical treatment without parents. It was stated that the members of this group are NOT supposed to take the kids from school and take them to a clinic but that it was OK b/c of high teen pregnancies.

What ya think? Messed up or what! :eek: I would be LIVID

Warning: some of the comments below the article may have some implied explicit language.

I would have been extremely angry. No one has the right to force my child to take any sort of medicine without my knowledge and consent.

Stories like these make me even more determined to send my child (and hopefully, children…) to Catholic school. Barring that, we’ll homeschool.

Birth control SHOT?

Depo Provera, probably.

Unfortunately, this is what we have come to. Under HIPPA regulations, parents cannot access their minor children's records for the most part. They cannot learn if their children have been treated for STD's etc not to mention an abortion... but they have to have a parents permission to get a tattoo or ears pierced. and heaven forbid if they have a cigarette!!!:eek:

Thank you progressives. your priorities speak volumes to your wisdom or lack of it.

Ugh...how horrible...and imagine how traumatic it must be to be a kid in high-school and hauled off somewhere and given a treatment in the arms of strangers. Plus what kind of message does this send? "Oh, we don't trust you enough to abstain, so you must undergo "treatment" despite your possible wishes against. it." That's great. Nothing spells TRUST like forcing something against a person's will.

This is awful. How many 14 year olds know enough about their medical history and their family's history to be safely given this drug without a parent present? If I was a school official I would not allow this for liability reasons alone. What happens if there was a car accident or an abduction, not to mention a negative reaction to the drug.

webmd.com/sex/birth-control/birth-control-depo-provera
bolding mine:

Depo-Provera can cause a number of side effects, including:

* Irregular menstrual periods, or no periods at all
* Headaches
* Nervousness

** * Depression**
* Dizziness
* Acne
* Changes in appetite
* Weight gain
* Excessive growth of facial and body hair
* Hair loss
* Loss of bone mineral density

Most of the side effects are not common. Change in the menstrual cycle is the most common side effect. You may experience irregular bleeding or spotting. After a year of use, about 50% of women will stop getting their periods. Their periods usually return when they discontinue the shots.

Prolonged use of Depo-Provera may result in loss of significant bone mineral density, increasing the risk of osteoporosis. This risk is more likely for those who have been taking it for longer than two years, particularly when other risk factors for osteoporosis exist, such as family history and chronic alcohol and/or tobacco use. Although there are no studies to benefit its use, it is advised that all women on Depo-Provera get adequate calcium and Vitamin D (through diet and/or supplements) to help prevent osteoporosis.

Yeah depression is a good side effect to have for a uninformed teen who is taking a drug without her parents knowledge.

And lets see long term use leads to bone density loss and osteoporosis, so if she if 14 now, that is at least 7 years before she is even thinking about children...

I highly doubt it was against the girls wishes. But that does not speak to the point of the OP which is that they are horrifically violating parental rights.

I agree 100% with Aquinas 62 in the post above, ftr.

FSC

Wait a minute, the article does not say that she was forced to do this. The way you’re reacting makes it sound as though they abducted her and dragged her there.

Under the law, the girl has a right to access birth control without her parents’ consent. That’s infuriating but it’s the law. This group provided the ride to the clinic so she could get it. They only acted outside their mandate by taking her from school to do so.

How nice, she's 14 (8th grade) and she now believes she can experiment with sex on dates and that she is incapable of becoming pregnant.

Isn't out of Junior High yet, has no job, doesn't know the first thing about maturity in a man, is incapable of supporting herself, let alone a baby.

Holy Hell.

"Each shot provides protection against pregnancy for up to 14 weeks, but the shot must be received once every 12 weeks to remain fully protected."

webmd.com/sex/birth-control/birth-control-depo-provera

Oops sorry my mistake...:blush:

But this reminds me of the "Project Prevention" article someone posted above in that in both instances there exists a group that facilitates a very controversial act under the name of "empowerment" or "charity" (as in the Proj. Prevention case).

Personally I feel it's more empowering to a child when you say to them that you trust them and believe them capable of making wise choices, therefore they do not need a birth-control shot.

And yes, if I were a parent I would be furious too knowing a shuttle or whatever was running from my kid's high-school to the clinic!

No she wasn't forced but what 14 yr old has the maturity to make good decisions for herself especially in regards to health. I've alwasy considered myself somewhat intelligent ;) and at the age of 14 I could have easily been "convinced" I need to get something but didn't. I wasn't sexually active though but that is besides the point.

The gov't is making it easier and easier for minors to do this sort of thing and allowing them to go against their parent's wishes BEHIND THEIR BACKS. and it is a LAW!!! How can a parent try to be a good parent and enforce rules within their home when the gov't is against good parenting, at least in this situation.

Of all places too! SC? I've lived her for some time and I thought it was one fo the most conservative states. To the point where most people call us back woods?

This is what angers me. My daughter (when/if I have one) can't go behind my back and get a piercing or a tattoo without breaking the law but she can get chemicals injected in her so she can go off having loads of sex without a worry or a care and I would have no clue! At least before this law was instituted children had to approach the parents for permission so at least they had a clue to what was going on and could try to put a stop to it. Now they don't stand a chance!

One more thing

I have heard nothing but bad things about this depo shot and how ineffective it is. Most of my friends who got pregnant got pregnant ON this shot! How is a 14 yr old supposed to know this? Now she could end up getting pregnant and it could have all been prevented with proper abstinence education.

I am not an idiot and I know, even with all the abstinence education in the world, kids will still have sex. However, the principle of the matter is the parent's were left out of the loop of a VERY IMPORTANT decision!.

1. Let’s say this mother had not found out and there had been a medical emergency - the first question a doctor at the hospital is going to ask is whether or not she is on any medications - and depo can be linked to blood clots which opens up the need for different emergency testing or death or permanent injury can result. Anyone else see a problem that her primary guardian -her parents- don’t know what meds she is on - not to mention the people from this so-called empowerment project probably don’t know what meds she is on at home to assist in her decision making.

2. What does a birth control shot have to do with STD prevention? Proper STD prevention is abstinence. Her parents could have taught her that at home.

Society is taking the easy way out. All the ponorgrahy and 'smut' scenes on TV have given kids the idea there is nothing wrong. So when all these babies are being born to teenagers that can't take care of them it becomes a problem. So why not just treat women as animals, fixed them to not get pregnant. That is so much easier then censoring movies. Not to mention, how could any complany ever sell their product if they can only use a clean add

Very sad that society has come to this

CM

My friend got the birth control shot even though she didn't want it. Her mom makes her get it, but this story is ridiculous. That's just wrong.

This totally baffles me. I really don't care about how "sensitive" a child's medical record is, it should be the parents' right to have access to it, and no child should be treated for STD's, contraceptives, immunizations, etc without parental permission. Maybe my parents were overprotective, but one or both were present at EVERY doctors apt until I was on my own health insurance policy (at 18). There was no way either of them, especially my mom (who wouldn't even give the MD my social for paperwork) was going to let anyone else know more about me than she did.

When I was 13 years old I was put on a low dose of birth control for the estrogen content to control monthly bleeding (my norm without the medication was 14-20 days...waaaay too much!). I wasn't raised Catholic, so no religious considerations were taken into consideration, but even then it was made clear to me that it was temporary and that the same moral standards were expected, not that I would ever dream of sex before marriage anyways. I'm just 25, but I guess things really have changed since I was a teenager. I think maybe the government needs to let the parents who are actually willing, be parents.

No offense, but why on earth would she tell you that she feel its okay to experiment?
You two must have one heck of a close relationship if shes going to be sharing that with you.

And ftr, im not saying that her telling you is a bad thing either. Just surprised that one would feel the want to share that with their parent. Lol.

[quote="Being_Brave, post:17, topic:217743"]
This totally baffles me. I really don't care about how "sensitive" a child's medical record is, it should be the parents' right to have access to it, and no child should be treated for STD's, contraceptives, immunizations, etc without parental permission. Maybe my parents were overprotective, but one or both were present at EVERY doctors apt until I was on my own health insurance policy (at 18). There was no way either of them, especially my mom (who wouldn't even give the MD my social for paperwork) was going to let anyone else know more about me than she did.

When I was 13 years old I was put on a low dose of birth control for the estrogen content to control monthly bleeding (my norm without the medication was 14-20 days...waaaay too much!). I wasn't raised Catholic, so no religious considerations were taken into consideration, but even then it was made clear to me that it was temporary and that the same moral standards were expected, not that I would ever dream of sex before marriage anyways. I'm just 25, but I guess things really have changed since I was a teenager. I think maybe the government needs to let the parents who are actually willing, be parents.

[/quote]

Sounds like we have a lot in common :) I'm 26 (convert from being a Baptist) and I was put on BC when I was young due to medical issues. Once I became Catholic, and after a struggle, I got off of it and just dealt with my medical issues. It is tough but nothing I can do. When I was put on it my mother was told and I was already 18.

Btw if that is your name in your signature then we have even more in common! Best wishes during your RCIA process. It's a great journey!

I’m not sure, but I think the problem stems from the age of consent in South Carolina. From what I can find (and granted, I didn’t research too deeply) SC Constitution Section 33sets the AOC at 14, while Statutory law, Section 16-15-140 sets the age at 16.

What needs to be done first, in order to fix the parents’ lack of control over their own kids, is to lobby the politicians in SC to raise the age of consent. At least that’s how I would approach it if I were a parent there…

Does anyone know if the same situation applies in places where the AOC is 18?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.