Girl pushes other child to safety before being hit by runaway car

Girl pushes other child to safety before being hit by runaway car

LAKESIDE, Calif. – A 10-year-old girl was fatally struck by a runaway vehicle on a Lakeside-area driveway while pushing a second child out of its path, authorities said Tuesday.

The girl was identified by family members as Kiera Larsen.

It was not immediately clear how the 1999 Mercedes-Benz that struck her began rolling in reverse down a sloping dirt driveway off Olde Highway 80 near Los Coches Road shortly after 5 p.m. Monday, according to the California Highway Patrol. But local news reports indicated the vehicle may have been put in motion by another child.

Paramedics took Kiera to Sharp Grossmont Hospital, where she later died, Pearlstein said.

“A child died heroically, I mean if you think about it, she sacrificed herself for another small child," CHP Officer Kevin Pearlstein said. “We’re going to do an inspection on the vehicle, find out why this happened, find out if there was some sort of malfunction on the vehicle and go from there.”

“She is truly a hero. She will forever be my kids’ guardian angel,” said Alissa Jenkins, mother of one-year-old Adison and two-year-old Emma, the two girls Kiera saved.

Jenkins and her fiancé Jonathan Gusich say they will never be able to repay Kiera for her selfless act.

“She saved both my daughters’ lives,” Jenkins said. “These are my two kids that I have and both of them could’ve been gone in an instant and she stepped in and took over and did what she knows best to do – and that’s to protect those around her.”

"She was a big sister to them. She was always looking out for them and apparently she gave her life for my kids,” Gusich said. “I don’t know how to repay them, repay her. She must have been the guardian angel yesterday and they’re here because of her.”

Blossom Valley Elementary, which Kiera attended, will continue to provide counselors to students and staff.

A GoFundMe page has been set up for Kiera’s family to assist with expenses.

Kiera was the third child of around the same age killed in crashes around San Diego County this week.

Read More At: fox5sandiego.com/2016/02/23/girl-pushes-other-child-to-safety-before-being-hit-by-runaway-car/

Say a prayer for this brave little girl’s soul. :gopray:

It looks like one of those situations of a parked car rolling backwards and sadly, the story states they will investigate why it started moving.

Praying for this brave girl’s soul and for the comforting of her family. Thank God for Kiera’s selfless act of sacrifice.

May this girl rest in the arms of Jesus and the God of all comfort be with grieving family and friends.

Mary.

Praying for the repose of Kiera Larsen’s soul & for her family.

“No one has greater love than this…”

Praying for Kiera Larsen and her family.

God bless her for her bravery. Dare I say only the good die young? May her family have peace, and may all of these crashes come to an end!!

Praying that she rests with Jesus

praying for the repose of her soul.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.