Girl scouts to send cookies to U.S. soldiers

Today in the newspaper there is an article about a troop of girls who are taking orders for cookies and asking if you would like to buy a box to donate to the troops.
I was so touched by the generosity of troop 257 that I wanted to post and let other leaders and scouts know. There are a whole lot of troops out there.

Toni,

Not an uncommon thing for a Troop or even Council to do. When I was a leader we did it and that was waaaay before even 9-11 :slight_smile:

Then again, we are in a community with a high number of military as there is an Air Base right here.

Brenda V.

Our troop is doing it too. It’s called Operation Care, or something like that. I think our troop purchased nearly 40 boxes for soldiers. Our Junior Girl Scouts also went to the airport to greet home coming soldiers on MLK day since it was a holiday.

That is so awesome… I was in girl scouts for years and am always glad to see good things coming from them.

:smiley: Hey hey!!! My DH is in Baghdad and he likes Thin Mints!!! :stuck_out_tongue:

Well, it IS nice. Sort of. Except it is really not the Girl Scouts who are doing much. The box of cookies ($3.50 or so) is paid by the customer who donates it to the soldiers. The Girl Scout council still gets $1 or so in profit for each box and the GS troop gets $.55 per box.

Not to put down the idea. But it is rather typical of the GS councils to do something that makes GS look good–when in reality the GS council is getting good publicity and increasing their own profits. I know this to be a fact. My daughters’ troops did this last year and the troop picked up the postage to send the cookies to US soldiers in Iraq. Ouch. The postage killed us financially. The postage was about $1 a box sent to Iraq. This year we are designating a local charity!

I live on an Air Force base and they do it every year. I used to buy them, but two years ago I discovered the ugly truth about the Girl Scouts.

Unfortunately I politely decline to buy them now , explaining to the adults that The Girl Scouts goes directly against my moral and ethical beliefs. As a Pro-life, pro- traditional marriage and family woman I am greatly concerned at the Girl Scouts promotion of the culture of death.

I was a girl scout in the 80s. My daughter is not in the Girl Scouts and I don’t promote their core beliefs. Yes, I know the Girl Scouts also do “good” things but so do other groups who are not promoting the culture of death. I dont’ want to give my money to help promote Planned parenthood, abortion and homosexual marriage.

[quote=Peace-bwu] Yes, I know the Girl Scouts also do “good” things but so do other groups who are not promoting the culture of death. I dont’ want to give my money to help promote Planned parenthood, abortion and homosexual marriage.
[/quote]

I too have reservations about Girl Scouts. But it really is going too far to say that GS “promote the culture of death” or “promote Planned Parenthood, abortion, and homosexual marriage.” Certainly, there are very liberal people involved in Girl Scouts. But it is not anything that the girls see. There is not a hint of such liberal agenda in the Daisy, Brownie, or Junior level. Girl Scouts do far more good than evil. Girl Scouts promotes patriotism, community service, outdoor activities, and even religion. Do your children watch Disney movies or television? Not buying Girl Scout cookies or letting your daughters be in Girl Scouts but letting them watch Disney movies or television is kind of like a vegetarian who wears leather shoes, it seems to me.

[quote=ReginaNova]I too have reservations about Girl Scouts. But it really is going too far to say that GS “promote the culture of death” or “promote Planned Parenthood, abortion, and homosexual marriage.” Certainly, there are very liberal people involved in Girl Scouts. But it is not anything that the girls see. There is not a hint of such liberal agenda in the Daisy, Brownie, or Junior level. Girl Scouts do far more good than evil. Girl Scouts promotes patriotism, community service, outdoor activities, and even religion. Do your children watch Disney movies or television? Not buying Girl Scout cookies or letting your daughters be in Girl Scouts but letting them watch Disney movies or television is kind of like a vegetarian who wears leather shoes, it seems to me.
[/quote]

family.org/cforum/fnif/news/a0037858.cfm

I am only going on what I have learned over the past few years. Check out this thread it gives many links.
forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=74565&highlight=happened+girl+scouts

I did the research before arriving at my decision about whether to allow my daughter to be involved in GSA or to suport the organization with my money.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.