Girl Scouts

Didn't realize they were so radical.

womenofgrace.com/breaking_news/?p=7956&sms_ss=facebook&at_xt=4dcc8a8f45fe401c%2C0

Yes, GSA has been taken over by lesbian feminists and is not an organization any Christian let alone Catholic should support or encourage their daughters to join.

My wife and one of our good friends are group leaders. They are both Catholic and believe me, they are providing a very good curriculum based on Catholic values and good honest fun that girls of their age group should be engaged in. The parents of the children are very supportive. It is all about whether or not you want secular values to rule the roost. We don't!

This is so sad, I have always prouded myself that I was a Girl Scout for many years from second grade through High School. And that I learned so much that I still use in life today.

It is terrible such as wholesome organization has gone bad. Now when I see them selling Girl Scout cookies, I will hesitate. The sad part is many young girls and parents are unaware.

Lord, please send some Catholic leadership into this organization to clean it up. Lord have mercy.

[quote="GRATEFULONEjim, post:3, topic:240130"]
My wife and one of our good friends are group leaders. They are both Catholic and believe me, they are providing a very good curriculum based on Catholic values and good honest fun that girls of their age group should be engaged in. The parents of the children are very supportive. It is all about whether or not you want secular values to rule the roost. We don't!

[/quote]

yes, but the money your group sends to the national organization goes to support Planned Parenthood. :eek:

I put my kids in Girl Scouts thinking it was the way it was when I grew up, then found out the links to Planned Parenthood. I did a lot of research and it brought me to tears. I'm ashamed of that organization now (my kids are obviously not in it anymore).

I can't try to list or recreate all the research I read, but this link to an article gives a pretty good description of many of the wrongs going on in that organization. catholic.org/national/national_story.php?id=35768&page=1 Another link: illinoisrighttolife.org/GirlsScouts_PlannedParenthood.htm and another: old.nationalreview.com/23oct00/lopez102300.shtml

Another really awesome group for girls is the Little Flowers group, which is basically a girl scout situation but in a Catholic environment and a Catholic group. eccehomopress.com/Little-Flowers-Home.html

yup, nothing new there. my council was quite liberal - and that was 15 years ago.

I never felt like we learned very much, though. I mean, in boy scouts they actually learn practical skills. gs was all about "girl power" and feel good things, like volunteering. (oh, and selling lots of cookies, which btw are not nearly as tasty as they used to be. :( ) not that either of those things are bad in and of themselves.. but I always wished it was more practical. I worked at a gs camp for 5 summers, but it was only the resident staff/campers that actually learned the practical stuff.

I do miss camp, though.

I didn't know about the pp link but honestly.. I'm not surprised.

luckily, I was disillusioned gradually so it didn't come as a shock, really - my mother was a coleader and then a leader, and because she was involved she knew all the stuff that went on down at council, all the pettiness and backstabbing and gossiping and screwing over and encouragement of "alternative lifestyles" so once I was in hs I knew I'd never want to be involved as an adult.. though I am a lifetime member since I got my gold award. at least I don't have to pay them for it. :thumbsup:

still a disappointment. I did keep all my books and uniforms, though.. 13 years worth.. :eek:

I'd never heard any of this before. Our girls are in scouts and although our troop is run by a couple mothers who are active at our church, I'm not very comfortable with the idea of us sending money to a group aligned with Planned Parenthood. Are there any alternative groups out there?

[quote="TheRealJuliane, post:5, topic:240130"]
yes, but the money your group sends to the national organization goes to support Planned Parenthood. :eek:

[/quote]

Is this really true? :confused:

TheRealJuliane, I trust your posts, appreciate the tone of your posts, learn from them, and gain from a lot of your insights.

But this one--well, I'm a little wary. Can you help me out here (and help out others, too)?

Could you please post the "mechanism" by which the monies actually get from local G.S. troops to their local Councils to their National Councils to the Planned Parenthood organization? Is there documentation? HOW does this actually work?

As you know, we have recently gotten into a little mess in the pro-life movement over claims that Planned Parenthood is receiving federal funding for abortions. This technically isn't true, and our pro-life organizations are looking rather foolish for making these claims. The PP organization claims that all the monies for abortions are from private donations, and that the federal monies are only used for women's care; e.g., pap smears, etc. NOw obviously we all know that PP isn't exactly trustworthy, and I don't believe for one little minute that they don't use the federal monies for abortion--of course they do. I'm not naive. But on paper, PP can prove that they don't put any federal funding toward abortions. And so now the pro-life organizations look like liars or propagandists, are we're backpeddling trying to defend ourselves and these claims. It's hurting the credibility of the pro-life organizations and I fear that this will not help the pro-life cause. In the future, I think that conservative organizations need to be scrupulously careful about putting out statements as facts when in reality, they are not totally supportable.

So is this the same thing? Is this just a wild claim, or can the money actually be traced from a little Girl Scout in Rockford, Illinois to a Planned Parenthood clinic in Aurora, Illinois that's doing abortions and handing out birth control?

Thanks so much for clarifying this.

As for my take on Girl Scouts--if the PP thing is true, then I think Catholics should opt out and go for Little Flowers, or start their own local girls' clubs.

But let's say that the PP thing is just a myth. There are still some issues that I have with Girl Scouts.

I'm concerned about the "feminist" and lesbian-friendly undertones to Girl Scouting. Some of the PR campaigns have a defiant tone and imply that "we don't need men." I think this is wrong and not in keeping with God's plan. I think it's the kind of thinking that can lead to single parenthood, to broken homes and divorce, to extra-marital sex, to lesbian relationships, and to rebellion against God.

Of course a girl should learn to be self-reliant and strong, and be able to support herself in case she remains single, or in case her husband is taken from her. That's not wrong.

But the attitude that says, "we don't need men" is something that has to be tempered with Christian teachings.

Girl Scouting can be a wonderful experience for girls, but it all depends on the local leaders. When I was growing up, I had a series of not-so-good leaders, and then in 6th grade, a couple of moms took over the troop and made it awesome. They had energy, talent, and love for the girls, and we had a great time every week. I think that if Girl Scouting is done through the Catholic school, and Catholic moms are in charge, and these Catholic moms are well-catechized, orthodox, and conservative in their Catholicism, that the experience can be good for girls. OTOH, if the Catholic moms are liberal and using the troop as a platform to teach young girls that "we don't need men," then damage can be done.

As parents, we have to be careful and diligent to vet whoever is teaching our children.

Cat, the pro-life organizations I work with have not back-tracked in any way about the federal funding of PP. That organization works largely under the radar, since abortions are paid for in cash only. It is correct that our federal tax dollars do not go into a dedicated abortion fund for PP's use. But any federal funding they receive pays for their operational costs which includes their buildings, staff, abortionist's fees, etc. So really that is only a dodge on the part of PP, and has already been seen through by most people with any sense whatsoever. The pro-life community is used to this sort of tactic from PP and is fighting them with the truth.

As for GSA, the same logic holds true. There may not be a contribution to PP International from any GS troop. But because of the association, any troop or district can invite a PP speaker and charge fees for that event, and it would be very likely that some of that money would go back to PP. As you say, the lesbian/feminist bias within GSA is obvious.

I am in that kind of difficult position that many of us are in - the little neighbor girl across the street from us is in GSA. She sells cookies every year. I like the family and I am pretty sure they are unaware of the PP-GSA ties. I know not every area has been taken over by radical lesbians, but the slant of the organization has been going that way for years. What to do? I will probably opt out of cookies next year. I do support the Boy Scouts in whatever fund-raising they do.

I was a Brownie leader thirteen years ago, and even then the feminist agenda was spreading. I remember a leaders' meeting where the speaker talked extensively about teaching girls that they are in control of their bodies and that no one had the right to tell them what they were and weren't allowed to do with them. I asked for clarification of this statement and received no real answer. Later in the week I got a call from council expressing concern that my meeting activities were "reinforcing gender stereotypes." The examples given were: jumping rope, learning to knit, and going to the symphony where there was no music composed by women. Oh yes, and we made favors for Meals on Wheels clients. The horror!

[quote="TheRealJuliane, post:10, topic:240130"]
Cat, the pro-life organizations I work with have not back-tracked in any way about the federal funding of PP. That organization works largely under the radar, since abortions are paid for in cash only. It is correct that our federal tax dollars do not go into a dedicated abortion fund for PP's use. But any federal funding they receive pays for their operational costs which includes their buildings, staff, abortionist's fees, etc. So really that is only a dodge on the part of PP, and has already been seen through by most people with any sense whatsoever. The pro-life community is used to this sort of tactic from PP and is fighting them with the truth.

As for GSA, the same logic holds true. There may not be a contribution to PP International from any GS troop. But because of the association, any troop or district can invite a PP speaker and charge fees for that event, and it would be very likely that some of that money would go back to PP. As you say, the lesbian/feminist bias within GSA is obvious.

I am in that kind of difficult position that many of us are in - the little neighbor girl across the street from us is in GSA. She sells cookies every year. I like the family and I am pretty sure they are unaware of the PP-GSA ties. I know not every area has been taken over by radical lesbians, but the slant of the organization has been going that way for years. What to do? I will probably opt out of cookies next year. I do support the Boy Scouts in whatever fund-raising they do.

[/quote]

Thank you. I agree with you entirely about the PP and the "abortion" funds. Unfortunately, PP has done a great job convincing the public that the pro-life groups have been spreading untruths about them. I agree, anyone with a brain can figure out that the federal monies support abortion one way or another.

I guess my feeling about Girl Scouts is that the best way to break up their little feminist/PP party is from the INSIDE out. I have often thought about volunteering as a Girl Scout leader, and using all my skills and God-given gifts to provide a wholesome, God-centered experience for the scouts--but never do or say anything that would cause a conflict with the Girl Scout organization or get me dismissed for proseltyzing. Jesus said that we need to be wise as serpents and gentle as doves--I think that describes a lot of Christian women! I think we could do it. (I'll probably opt out because I'm already involved in at least four different children's organizations in my city!)

The idea behind "infiltrating" is that eventually, we would be the majority within the Girl Scouts, and then the liberal/feminists would have to do what many of us are doing now--jump ship and start their own club.

I believe this is the way Christians should handle most "worldly" venues. My oldest daughter is a professional stage manager--she is working "on the inside" of the godless theater world to be salt and light. And her presence does make a difference. I think whenever possible, we should jump right in and reclaim and redeem rather than fleeing into our safe fortresses and letting the world continue to claim victory.

[quote="Cat, post:12, topic:240130"]

The idea behind "infiltrating" is that eventually, we would be the majority within the Girl Scouts, and then the liberal/feminists would have to do what many of us are doing now--jump ship and start their own club.

I believe this is the way Christians should handle most "worldly" venues. My oldest daughter is a professional stage manager--she is working "on the inside" of the godless theater world to be salt and light. And her presence does make a difference. I think whenever possible, we should jump right in and reclaim and redeem rather than fleeing into our safe fortresses and letting the world continue to claim victory.

[/quote]

I agree with this approach, although one does have to pick one's battles and some may not be worth it.

As a professional cellist who often plays in the pit for theatre and opera productions, I hope that my presence makes a difference for the better in that extremely liberal culture. Glad that your daughter is doing the same. :thumbsup:

I was a Brownie and Girl Scout from 1977-1981. My troop was fairly neutral back then...just lots of arts and crafts and related activities. There wasn't any sex ed or feminism that I recall, but there also wasn't any mention of God. I sold 363 boxes of cookies one year and this payed my way to summer horseback riding camp which was really fun. I remember that our camp counselors were pretty strong young ladies -- they had to kill a rattlesnake that was lurking outside our cabin door by cutting it's head off with a shovel while all of us girls looked on.

If my dh and I are blessed with girls, I doubt that we would get involved in Girl Scouts. As an 11 year old, I didn't like wearing the uniform to school on meeting days. And, now, with the allegations of PP connections and feminism including new badges related to this, I think that time is better spent on more wholesome activities.

Sadly, I will not buy another box of Girl Scout cookies, even though I was a very motivated young scout in this area. I don't want to support PP.

[quote="Gordon_Sims, post:8, topic:240130"]
I'd never heard any of this before. Our girls are in scouts and although our troop is run by a couple mothers who are active at our church, I'm not very comfortable with the idea of us sending money to a group aligned with Planned Parenthood. Are there any alternative groups out there?

[/quote]

Yes there is an alternative group. American Heritage Girls. ahgonline.org/ We discovered this group when a small handful of families in our area were either pulling their daughters from GS, or refusing to enroll them at all.

[quote="bethndanny, post:14, topic:240130"]
Yes there is an alternative group. American Heritage Girls. ahgonline.org/ We discovered this group when a small handful of families in our area were either pulling their daughters from GS, or refusing to enroll them at all.

[/quote]

The is also Little Flowers, which is based on the teachings of St. Therese! It's what our girls do. They can earn badges by doing faith based activities each month. It's a great time for them to learn about the lives of the saints and then put their teachings to work with their family and friends. They meet monthly with other girls from our church, for fellowship and fun! It's been very good for them!!

The is also a boy's group called the Blue Knights (I think that's the name, someone correct me if I'm wrong)

I've never heard of Little Flowers!! It sounds lovely. :thumbsup:

[quote="insideitall, post:7, topic:240130"]
yup, nothing new there. my council was quite liberal - and that was 15 years ago.

I never felt like we learned very much, though. I mean, in boy scouts they actually learn practical skills. gs was all about "girl power" and feel good things, like volunteering. (oh, and selling lots of cookies, which btw are not nearly as tasty as they used to be. :( ) not that either of those things are bad in and of themselves.. but I always wished it was more practical. I worked at a gs camp for 5 summers, but it was only the resident staff/campers that actually learned the practical stuff.

[/quote]

I know exactly what you mean. I was totally psyched to join this awesome group at school that went camping, learned wilderness survival skills and archery and how to shoot a gun (yeah...I never was a girly girl). Ugh...I was so disappointed when I found out I couldn't join because I wasn't a boy.

I was in GS for a few years but I never thought it was nearly as interesting as what the boys my age were doing in their scouting. We mostly a lot of arts and crafts stuff and in retrospect I wonder what the point of it all was.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.