Girlfriend's pap test

My girlfriend revealed to me she had an abnormal pap smear that came out positive for HPV when she was 17, she is now 28. She said that it has been normal since though. We have not had sex and we are waiting for marriage. I am one to think positive, however, I cannot help but to think about this and how this may affect us. Sources I have researched have been contradictory online. Should I be worried? Is this something that "goes away" or it can cause more serious conditions for me, her, or possibly a child?

Thanks in advance

It would be best to talk to a physician , perferably go to her doctor with her. Dont take medical advice off a message forum. I wish you both well. God Bless.

Luvtosew is right, but for now, keep in mind that there is a difference between low-risk and high-risk HPV. Not all infections affect the long-term health of the women or her sexual partner. I'm not a medical professional, but it seems that the risk to children is very low overall. You're going to have to get more information about your girlfriend from her doctor to know what exactly is going on. God bless you, brother. I will pray for you both.

HPV is tricky to describe without going into too much detail.

There are quite a few strains - think of it like a cold virus - there are a lot of them out there! However, there are a couple of strains that are potentially harmful - essentially able to lead to cancerous growth in that area of the body, which can lead to cervical cancer. However, if your girlfriend has been 'fine' since she was 17, and has been getting checked annually, I would not be too concerned.

I would be most concerned about her health - ensuring that she is getting her PAPs regularly, and letting her health care provider know that she had a positive HPV test when she was 17, if she sees different health care providers for each PAP.

For males, it is a bit trickier. It can cause cancer (depending on the strain), but its much more rare in males, than cervical cancer is in women. I'm not even sure what part of the body it can cause cancer in in males, but somewhere down there! However, if your girlfriend doesn't have any symptoms and hasn't had any positive tests, I think you'll be fine. HPV is fairly common and many young people have it by now, just based on the sexual promiscuity that occurs in our society.

There is the Gardisil vaccine, which males can have. If you are really concerned about contracting the two most high risk strains of HPV, you can get it, but it is expensive. Its also kind of moot if you have been sexually active already, and is mostly recommended for those who haven't had sex yet.

Bottom line: its a fairly common virus that many young people have these days - and is only a concern when the cells become cancerous in the cervix area - so as long as your girlfriend stays on top of her PAPs, you and your future family should be good to go :)

Thank you all for the posts, very much needed guidance. I will definitely look more into it with a positive mind.

[quote="rjrjrj, post:1, topic:286998"]
My girlfriend revealed to me she had an abnormal pap smear that came out positive for HPV when she was 17, she is now 28. She said that it has been normal since though. We have not had sex and we are waiting for marriage. I am one to think positive, however, I cannot help but to think about this and how this may affect us. Sources I have researched have been contradictory online. Should I be worried? Is this something that "goes away" or it can cause more serious conditions for me, her, or possibly a child?

Thanks in advance

[/quote]

We can't give out that kind of medical advice on CAF. Your girlfriend needs to address her gynecological issues with her physician, and you should be speaking with your doctor as well about all of your questions and concerns. :)

Luna

The biggest reason the Pro-Vaccination lobby have for vaccinating against specific strains of HPV is that (according to some research) a person has a 50% chance of catching at least one strain of the virus the day they loose their virginity.
Other studies suggest that 80% or more of people will contract it as some point in their lives.
If you have had more than one partner the chances of infection continue to rise asymptotically towards certainty.
Of course there are other strains of this virus which you can contract without sexual contact. Did they identify the strain of this virus that your girlfriend has?

The virus is absolutely rampant. Have you never had a wart or verruca anywhere? If you have then you are have been infected with at least one strain of this virus.

That said. it is vital for your Girlfirend. to continue to have regular PAP tests.
My sister became sexually active in her teens. She had a son at 19. She had an abnormal result on her Cervical Smear test some years later, and needed surgery. Unfortunately that (or something else) left her infertile - and she was unable to conceive with her later partner.

On the positive side:
Even if she has one of the "high risk" strains. that is "High risk" not certainty that problems will develop. I don't know how high the actual risks are, but according to a Wikipedia article, in 90% of cases the body is able to clear itself of HPV. Even the "High Risk" strains are only a risk if the infection remains for more than 10 years. After that Leigons need to develop on the cervix, less than 50% of those if left unchecked will develop into cancer.

Get your Girlfriend to be re-checked for the virus if it's gone it's gone.

Please do not solicit nor offer medical advice on CAF. Thank you for your cooperation. When members are helpfully stating the rules and expectations at CAF regarding this matter, please do not ignore their warnings and continue posting about the subject. Doing so runs the risk of earning an infraction.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.