Girm and Home Masses/ Indult on E.M.s

I have several questions:

1. Do home masses done on a regular basis have to follow the prescribed GIRM. For example, purification of vessels, care and type of sacred linens, glass containers for precious blood, “duly appointed and properly trained” lay people as sacristants, alter servers and eucharistic ministers as opposed to laity simply appointed by a priest and trained on the job?

2. There was an indult allowing eucharistic ministers to purify the sacred vessels after mass that expired in March 2005. Has that indult been renewed or extended by the Holy See?

3. How are the sacred linens cared for?

[quote=lag]I have several questions:

1. Do home masses done on a regular basis have to follow the prescribed GIRM. For example, purification of vessels, care and type of sacred linens, glass containers for precious blood, “duly appointed and properly trained” lay people as sacristants, alter servers and eucharistic ministers as opposed to laity simply appointed by a priest and trained on the job?
    [/quote]

There should never be 'regular basis" for having a home Mass. That should be an exception and, when done, such adaptations as may be necessary for the setting may be employed.

1. There was an indult allowing eucharistic ministers to purify the sacred vessels after mass that expired in March 2005. Has that indult been renewed or extended by the Holy See?

Since, by definition, a “eucharistic minister” is a priest or bishop there is no such indult. However, I suspect you mean Extraordinary Ministers of Holy Communion (installed acolytes or appointed lay persons). But, to get to the point, to the best of my knowledge this indult has expired.

1. How are the sacred linens cared for?

They are washed separately, ironed and folded. Those that may have been exposed to the Sacred Species (corporals and purificators) are to be pre-rinsed in the sacrarium (a special sink that drains to the ground) and the washed separately. In the event a sacrarium is not available, they should be rinsed in a container and then the rinse water poured on the ground in a place where people are not likely to walk.

Deacon Ed

2. There was an indult allowing eucharistic ministers to purify the sacred vessels after mass that expired in March 2005. Has that indult been renewed or extended by the Holy See?

[/quote]

If “Home Masses” were allowed they would need to follow the GIRM since it applies to ALL celebrations of the Mass.

why are the home masses being done on a regular basis? I thought this practice was severely limited by RS and the new GIRM

Good gravy!!! Home Masses still exist?!? I thought they died with baking that baking-soda bread for Eucharist!!!

Come to think of it- I did see somebody’s parish event where there was an auction, and a local priest had people bidding on a Mass in the home. I thought while this priest’s heart might be toward raising money for his parish, it wasn’t well-thought-out and smacked of simony. I don’t think there were many takers on that one.

[quote=OutinChgoburbs]Good gravy!!! Home Masses still exist?!? I thought they died with baking that baking-soda bread for Eucharist!!!

Come to think of it- I did see somebody’s parish event where there was an auction, and a local priest had people bidding on a Mass in the home. I thought while this priest’s heart might be toward raising money for his parish, it wasn’t well-thought-out and smacked of simony. I don’t think there were many takers on that one.
[/quote]

Yes, there are still home Masses.
This past Saturday a longtime friend of our family (a priest, I hasten to assure you) celebrated Mass at my parents’ house for their 50th wedding anniversary. All my siblings, in-laws, nieces and nephews were there and it was very beautiful.

While I was there I actuall thought of the cries of “Liturgical abuse!” that might arise on this forum – handholding for the Our Father and homemade (unleavened) bread.
I don’t care, it was great.

As for the auction, you’re absolutely right, it sounds horrid.

[/quote]

Does anyone know for sure if the indult that expired March 2005 on allowing “extraordinary ministers” to purify vessels has been renewed? I’ve been to several parishes where the priest is not purifying the vessels. Is this ok? :confused:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.