GIRM question

Hello all. During the Mass, I noticed our Priest add the water to the wine while still in the cruet. Previously, the water was added to the wine while in the chalice. Is this according to the GIRM? I could not find it mentioned in the text. Maybe I’m just being too nit-picky.

Based on my understanding, so long as the water and wine are mingled,
it does not matter if it is in the cruet or in the chalice.
I see nothing in the GIRM about this, and have asked may priests-
including a couple who are Canon lawyers.

So to answer your question-
yes, I think you are being too nit-picky! ;):smiley:

No, there’s nothing in the GIRM about this. There doesn’t have to be since what is supposed to be done is very clear in the rubrics of the Missal itself.

The deacon (or the priest) pours wine and a little water into the chalice saying quietly:

Another thread for Pharisees.

Hardly. The OP posed a legitimate question.

I’ve only seen priests do that when they were also consecrating in the cruet. That said, it’s easier to add a bit of water to the cruet and then distribute to several chalices than to distribute to several chalices and then add water to each – not that that is always done either.

The most expedient way is not always the best way. The total Mass sets the mood for the reception of our Lord. If quicker is better; run some tap water in the jug of wine, slosh it around and we have it pre-mixed for the month. The sight of the Priest adding water to each individual chalice is a cherished part of the Mass for me.

They don’t always add water to each chalice, just like they don’t always add a piece of the Host at the fraction rite to all the chalices but only to the main one.

I’ve witnessed this common practice in my own parish as well.

However; having been a former Sacristan for over ten years, NEVER once have I witnessed new Cruets receiving the same Blessing of Sacred Vessels as Chalices and Ciborium which I have often seen donated by 4th degree Knights of Columbus. Cruets themselves are listed as Sacred Vessels. Most Cruets are made of crystal, glass, or clay pottery.

If Cruets are to be used to contain the consecrated Sacred Body, Blood, Soul and Divinity of Christ they should retain the (“same”) special significance that a chalice respectfully holds. Anything outside of this requisite for a cruet used in this manner would be blasphemous.

I’ve seen enough liturgical abuses in my day to question the way the consecration of wine takes place inside a cruet and paticularly the manner in which some EMHC’s handle these rather large cruets. Due to the vast number of chalices used immediately after consecration it’s not always the priest who is parceling out consecrated host into different ciborium. Nor is it solely the priest handling the consecrated wine being poured into several chalices with the occasional accident of precious blood being spilt on the Altar.

usccb.org/liturgy/current/chapter6.shtml

III.

Sacred Vessels
327. Among the requisites for the celebration of Mass, the sacred vessels are held in special honor, especially the chalice and paten, in which the bread and wine are offered and consecrated, and from which they are consumed.

1. Sacred vessels are to be made from precious metal. If they are made from metal that rusts or from a metal less precious than gold, then ordinarily they should be gilded on the inside.
  1. In the Dioceses of the United States of America, sacred vessels may also be made from other solid materials that, according to the common estimation in each region, are precious, for example, ebony or other hard woods, provided that such materials are suited to sacred use and do not easily break or deteriorate. This applies to all vessels which hold the hosts, such as the paten, the ciborium, the pyx, the monstrance, and other things of this kind.
  1. As regards chalices and other vessels that are intended to serve as receptacles for the Blood of the Lord, they are to have bowls of nonabsorbent material. The base, on the other hand, may be made of other solid and worthy materials.
  1. For the consecration of hosts, a large paten may appropriately be used; on it is placed the bread for the priest and the deacon as well as for the other ministers and for the faithful.
  1. As to the form of the sacred vessels, the artist may fashion them in a manner that is more in keeping with the customs of each region, provided each vessel is suited to the intended liturgical use and is clearly distinguishable from those intended for everyday use.
  1. For the blessing of sacred vessels, the rites prescribed in the liturgical books are to be followed.136
  1. The practice is to be kept of building a sacrarium in the sacristy, into which are poured the water from the purification of sacred vessels and linens (cf. above, no. 280)./QUOTE]

It does not matter as long as the wine or wine mixed with water is poured into the chalice(s) before the Consecration.

No, it doesn’t make much difference with so-called “communion cups” or “extra chalices” as may be used, but it actually does matter insofar as the chalice itself is concerned. The rubrics couldn’t possibly be more clear about that.

Ha! The truth hurts.

I meant to emphasize that it must be poured into the Chalice(s) before the consecration, not after. Sorry that was not very clear.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.