Give em your coat as well

Just curious.

How many people take off their coat when you are at Mass? (Or Services for non-Catholic) Assuming it’s cold outside where you are, and you actually wear a coat to church, do you sit there with it on or not?

If you keep it on during the Mass, why?

[quote=K-McD]Assuming it’s cold outside where you are, and you actually wear a coat to church, do you sit there with it on or not?
[/quote]

If I’m still cold I’ll leave my coat on. If not, I’ll take it off.

There was no option for that, so I didn’t answer the poll.

your point?

i think its rude to leave on your coat…I wouldn’t leave my coat on if I was in a friend’s house and Jesus is my best friend.

That being said since the chapel is two yards away from my dorm’s side door I often don’t bothor to put on a coat.

[quote=Meggie]i think its rude to leave on your coat…I wouldn’t leave my coat on if I was in a friend’s house and Jesus is my best friend.

That being said since the chapel is two yards away from my dorm’s side door I often don’t bothor to put on a coat.
[/quote]

My friend’s house is always very cold. When I visit her, I put a poncho over my sweater.

JMJ

If it’s cold, I’ll wear a coat into the church, but I take it off during Mass

I think it’s that a lot of people don’t associate God’s House as an actual person’s house. Otherwise they’d act differently. If I had guests over and I saw them keeping their coats on, I’d feel like they were just waiting to get outta there.

I wear a coat to Mass during our cold winter, cool spring, and cool autumn.

Like other posters, I will keep it on if I am cold.

My body has trouble regulating my temperature, so I am either too hot or too cold. So my coat may come off and on again several times during Mass.

I sometimes have to wear my coat (and even little gloves!) in the homes of family and friends if I am cold. I think that it is more respectful than adjusting their thermostat to suit my needs.

Malia

Often I leave my coat on, because my 3 yo is likely to push it off the pew onto the floor more than one time during the mass. If it is slightly warm, I’ll leave it in the car. I have the same problem with my purse.

If my son didn’t do that, I’d probably take it off, if there was room on the pew to lay it there.

Very few (they’re invisible) parishioners take them off at this time of the year. If it were a modern church building, maybe it would be different. Anyway, where would that many coats go? In the back there is room, but not in the center and front. They just seem to slide off the pew and get in the way of the kneeler, especially when everyone files out for communion. We don’t have more than a small coat rack (maybe good for twenty people).

Most people at my Church take their coats off and sit them in a pile on the pews. I never really thought about leaving it on unless I was cold for some reason.

What really bothers me, though, are people who put on their coats before the end of the last hymn and leave Mass and those who scoot out so fast because they have their coats on (worse yet, those who leave their coats on then leave after communion!). But, who knows, maybe they have to go to work, have an ill relative at home or something and it took all their effort just to attend that section of the Mass.

[quote=K-McD]Just curious.

How many people take off their coat when you are at Mass? (Or Services for non-Catholic) Assuming it’s cold outside where you are, and you actually wear a coat to church, do you sit there with it on or not?

[/quote]

This is a little off topic, but what about shorts and t-shirts. Am I the only one who thinks one should dress appropriately for Mass?

The only time it’s ever cold enough for me to even need to wear a coat to church is when I’m visiting my in-laws. Their church’s heating system is quite old, and doesn’t work very well. I keep my coat on, simply because it’s too cold to take it off. Very few people in that parish take their coats off, actually.

Good grief— another thing to worry about :slight_smile:

I’ve been invited to dinner, and it would be particularly rude of me to eat with my coat on.

I wear a sweater\cartigan when I expect that the church might be particularly cold.

If you’re cold in church put on a cassock :wink: and a surplice too!

At the risk of sounding too ascetic, why not take your coat off out of respect and reverence, and if you get cold, offer the suffering up to our Lord?

Honestly, Masses are typically an hour in duration; I find it hard to believe that someone-- young or old, strong or frail, healthy or diseased, can’t do these simple sacrifices.

Anyway, maybe it’s something you’ve never even thought about. Wonder penance, in my opinion.

[quote=Jimmy B]This is a little off topic, but what about shorts and t-shirts. Am I the only one who thinks one should dress appropriately for Mass?
[/quote]

Most definitely! I expect my kids to dress respectfully. No play clothes. I expect, with the way we are going, that we shall soon see those coming to Mass wearing their PJs. “Why get dresses when I’m just going back to bed when Mass is over.” Or something like that.

[quote=puzzleannie]your point?
[/quote]

Just curious.

Everyone at Mass wears a coat during the winter and if you were there you would too. The holy water is frozen in the fonts. I took my jacket off last friday during adoration and believe me it was penance.

[quote=K-McD]Just curious.

[/quote]

I think it depends on the temp in the church. I attend Mass at a Cathedral and it can be cold in the winter months. I don’t see it as disrespectful. I guess that I never considered it before. If someone came into my house and kept their coat on because they felt more comfortable with it, I wouldn’t be offended.:confused:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.