Give me one good reason why I shouldn't leave the Church!

I don’t know if it’s just me or it’s the dang weather (snow) or if it’s the devil or what but I don’t think I can make it as a Catholic! :mad:

Don’t ask why because I don’t know why either.

It’s almost INPOSSIBLE!!!

Maybe it would help if you tell us why you want to leave?

I don’t know what to say to you, as you seem to go from dizzying heights of enthusiasm to this, in short periods of time. It seems to be emotionally driven, not the result of thought. Think of it like a marriage: you can’t make it on feelings alone. You are the wife who threatens divorce every time you are feeling blue, or unappreciated, or if your husband doesn’t bring you roses and diamonds every evening. Sorry, but this approach is simply not going to work.

I don’t know…I think it’s because I’m not very spiritual anymore…I don’t pray the Rosary like I should, don’t read Scripture like I used to, can’t get to Daily Mass, keep going to Confession every single dang week, can’t give true reverance to our Lord in the Adoration (just going through the motions), taking the Mass for granted, can’t get involved in the Church, try to pray but it’s not authentic, etc. etc.

I DON’T KNOW WHAT ELSE TO DO!!!

Maybe you guys could give me so helpful tips because I sure ain’t help!

Weren’t you just Confirmed less than a month ago?!!

[quote=Paris Blues]I don’t know…I think it’s because I’m not very spiritual anymore…I don’t pray the Rosary like I should, don’t read Scripture like I used to, can’t get to Daily Mass, keep going to Confession every single dang week, can’t give true reverance to our Lord in the Adoration (just going through the motions), taking the Mass for granted, can’t get involved in the Church, try to pray but it’s not authentic, etc. etc.

[/quote]

Nicole,

All the statements above are protestant arguements that claim Catholics are not Christian and as a new convert I have a hard time believing that you feel like this, but if you do?

I would seek professional help, like a psychologist, it seems you are depressed, perhaps you do not have support from your friends or family.

And one good reason why to stay in the Church, well you have two choices one to be like everyone else or to be different. The definition of a Saint is different. The Saints of the past were simply different, they followed Jesus, His teachings, and his Church. Our Priesthood continues to be different, they dedicate their lives to Jesus and His Church, they giveup being a husband, a father, only to represent our Father in Heaven.

1. St Micheal prayer, I think the netherworld is playing on your emotions.

2. Do a really thourough excamination of consciousness. Write it all down, and go to your priest. Do this regardless of the snow, or that pit in your stomach feeling. Tell the priest everuthing you are feeling too.

3. Ever though of it as a little test from God? Read Job. In one of Keatings books I remember him relating the “on fire feeling” and the abandoned or less enthusiastic feelings to a blazzing fire. When you start a fire, it is full ablaze and giving off tremendous heat. Then as the first layer of wood bark had burnied off the fire appears to be dying. However it is not, the flames have begun to work on the inside depths of the wood and when this is done, the wood glows from the inside out. This new stage results in a continuous ember glowing with heat and light that must burn till its death or until you douse it with water.

This appears to be the stage inwhich you are in. Jesus knew this stage would happen to all of us, and this is the reason why we teach our children the prayers, for those times when we just do not know what to say. God knows what is in your heart and on your mind, but we must still worship him and ask for assistance. I everyone goes through this so they can become stronger from the inside out. So do a little house cleaning with your soul, read some tribulations of the saints for insiration, and maybe read some good Scott Hahn or other prominant converted author to feel their energy.

Remember the Footprints poem, he never leaves us.

My prayers are with you!

[quote=Paris Blues]I don’t know…I think it’s because I’m not very spiritual anymore…I don’t pray the Rosary like I should, don’t read Scripture like I used to, can’t get to Daily Mass, keep going to Confession every single dang week, can’t give true reverance to our Lord in the Adoration (just going through the motions), taking the Mass for granted, can’t get involved in the Church, try to pray but it’s not authentic, etc. etc.

[/quote]

Answer is simple, you need to do WHAT YOU ONCE did. Our faith means a relationship and it doesn’t seem like you are putting anything into it all - like you once did.

[quote=catsrus]Weren’t you just Confirmed less than a month ago?!!
[/quote]

LOL! Yeah! :frowning:

[/quote]

It’s pretty obvious, if you are doing all these things, you are overdoing it. Try scaling back and be gentle with yourself. Except for going to Sunday Mass, confessing mortal sin and the other precepts of the Church, the Church does not have a strict requirement for you to do anything. It is enough for most people to try to grow in holiness through the ordinary circumstances of their lives. Allow yourself some time for growth and don’t try to do it all at once. And stop letting your emotions drive you.

Dear Paris,
I’ve read a lot of your posts, and it seems as if you have a lot of emotional extremes. This might be symptomatic of a mood disorder. I think you ought to seek a professional evaluation.

First thing (and I think this is a very cradle Catholic thing of me to say, but thats the way I am) is that God would much prefer that you went to Mass and took it for granted, than that you didn’t go at all. Regardless of how emotionless you pray the rosary, a prayer is not a bad thing - it is still good to pray. Same for adoration. Same for reading Scripture - even if you think you’re getting nothing out of it, you never know in what small way it muight touch you. Same for every bloomin thing!

God wants you to stay Catholic! God doesn’t mind if you go to Confession every week - if God wanted to make a being that never sinned first and foremost then He wouldn’t have given us free will. At least you are going to confession so that you can get your sins forgiven instead of them being on your conscience all the time. After all, you think if you leave the Church you are going to sin less? I don’t think so - all it will mean is you won’t be able to go to confession to get those sins forgiven. All leaving the Church would do is hide your problems, nto solve them - in fact, it would only add to your problems.

Why did God make a creature with free will, even though that meant that it could sin? Because God wanted it to be able to have good qualities which it couldn’t have without free will. Most importantly, love. Sherlock compared your situation to a marriage. He is right. You shouldn’t threaten divorce every time you’re blue. What keeps a marriage together when things are going bad? Love. You take your will and you choose to stick together despite all the problems because love is what makes the world go round. Your one good reason why you shouldn’t leave the Church - because God loves you and because you love/loved God and this love is something worth preserving.

Here’s a quote from St. Vincent De Paul. “Human nature grows tired of always doing the same thing, and it is God’s will that this should be so because of the opportunity of practicing two great virtues. The first is perseverance, which will bring us to our goal. The other is steadfastness, whcih overcomes the difficulties on the way.”

This quote seems to relate to you (in fact, it seems to relate to me too). We grow tired of always doing the same thing. Both of us need to pray to the Holy Spirit to help us practice the virtues of perseverance and steadfastness. We shouldn’t just give up at the first sign of trouble. What kind of commitment does that show to God - especially for you, when you’ve been a Catholic for less than 2 months?

You know us cradle Catholics? There used to be more of us. But - each and every single one of us once came across a time when we just didn’t experience the same joy and wonder and emotion as we used to. (What do you expect, after so long?) So the cradle Catholics you know now are the ones who didn’t let that stop them being Catholic. They’re the ones who converted you, that taught you, that answered your questions. I would have thought, your heroes - like my mum and dad are heroes for me. Don’t you want to be like them?

The devil is trying to confuse you and take you away from the Church because he knows that the Church is the best place you could be. But you should know that kindness works better than cruelty. Don’t run to the devil who will be cruel to you - run to God who is kind.

Get a hold of yourself. Don’t let the devil win. Don’t give up.

And if/when you do get out of this state, make sure you try to strengthen your resolve so that you don’t run into this same situation again. Pray for fortitude. Read the Catechism. Learn why what you believe is good and true. But then again, one problem at a time.

I don’t know…I think it’s because I’m not very spiritual anymore…I don’t pray the Rosary like I should, don’t read Scripture like I used to, can’t get to Daily Mass, keep going to Confession every single dang week, can’t give true reverance to our Lord in the Adoration (just going through the motions), taking the Mass for granted, can’t get involved in the Church, try to pray but it’s not authentic, etc. etc.

This big list of things you have given us does not make you a Catholic, it makes you a very devoted Catholic. Maybe your religion is loosing it’s special appeal, because you spend so much time with it, and no longer think of it as a growind relationship with God.

THE EUCHARIST

[quote=Libero]This big list of things you have given us does not make you a Catholic, it makes you a very devoted Catholic. Maybe your religion is loosing it’s special appeal, because you spend so much time with it, and no longer think of it as a growind relationship with God.
[/quote]

I have no idea what you are trying to say: are you suggesting that “devoted Catholics” have less of a relationship with God??

[quote=Libero]This big list of things you have given us does not make you a Catholic, it makes you a very devoted Catholic. Maybe your religion is loosing it’s special appeal, because you spend so much time with it, and no longer think of it as a growind relationship with God.
[/quote]

HUH??? :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

[/quote]

Proverbs 3:5-6

Trust in the Lord with all your heart,
and do not lean on your own understanding.
In all your ways acknowledge him,
and he will make straight your paths.

[quote=spiritblows]Dear Paris,
I’ve read a lot of your posts, and it seems as if you have a lot of emotional extremes. This might be symptomatic of a mood disorder. I think you ought to seek a professional evaluation.
[/quote]

Yes, maybe…like talk to a Catholic therapist or something. It might help to just speak with another Catholic one on one about such things.

I have no idea what you are trying to say: are you suggesting that “devoted Catholics” have less of a relationship with God??

No, sorry that was my bad phrasing.

Rather that Paris Blues may have worn themselves out with all of the religious activities, and that because they are so frequent, they no longer have that special appeal that they once had. Thus making the OP feel a little less spiritual. My advice would be to tone down the religious activities for a bit, and then see how you feel :slight_smile:

[quote=Celia]Yes, maybe…like talk to a Catholic therapist or something. It might help to just speak with another Catholic one on one about such things.
[/quote]

Yes, I agree. There are plenty of Catholic mental health professionals that wouldn’t discount your spiritual needs. I’m sure your parish can point you to some resources.

When I went through this, which happened several times over the last 30 years, one of the things that helped me was stepping outside of myself. I started doing some charity/volunteer work with less fortunate people. It helped me to see that it’s only by God’s grace that I have what I have…and that increased my desire to adore him.

Also…

THE EUCHARIST

If you can’t do anything else, do this. For Him.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.