Giving a talk tomorrow evening on the OT canon

Peace be with you!

I’m giving a talk on the OT canon tomorrow (Friday) night at my Newman Club meeting. This will be my first apologetics work offline (with the exception of speaking briefly with a few anti-Catholic Protestants). I’m pretty excited about it because I always enjoy talking religion and apologetics. Any recomendations from some more experienced speakers in here?
This talk is going to be sort of a broad overview because we’re also discussing a book and there won’t be a lot of time to go into too much depth on it.

In Christ,
Rand

No recommendations, but I just wanted to say good luck! I will pray for you and I hope you do well :slight_smile:

we’re praying for you, rand al’thor!!! (go easy on using saidin:D )

Have you tried this site? newadvent.org/cathen/03267a.htm

NotWorthy

[quote=Rand Al’Thor]Peace be with you!

I’m giving a talk on the OT canon tomorrow (Friday) night at my Newman Club meeting. This will be my first apologetics work offline (with the exception of speaking briefly with a few anti-Catholic Protestants). I’m pretty excited about it because I always enjoy talking religion and apologetics. Any recomendations from some more experienced speakers in here?
This talk is going to be sort of a broad overview because we’re also discussing a book and there won’t be a lot of time to go into too much depth on it.

In Christ,
Rand
[/quote]

Make an outline for yourself. Make sure that you know you material. Practice about 50 times. Then, just before you go on, throw aside your notes.

In the speech, use visual aids – a chart on an easel. Use magic marker on the chart. You, too, ask questions. Look for opportunities to mix in humor. If a member of the audience catches you in an obviouys error, use it as an opportunity for self-effacing humor.

Put some of yourself into it. Whatever made you interested in this topic, how you came to knowledge, who might have inspired you, etc. When you can work the facts into a story about yourself or someone you know it helps the listener to remember and also maintains interest. Dry facts are often like sleeping pills. Hope you and your audience have a wonderful experience.

[quote=Rand Al’Thor]Peace be with you!

In Christ,
Rand
[/quote]

When I was teaching a small apologetics class at a local church I would research the heck out of the topic, then put it all aside, and then review, take a deep breath, then speak almost extemporaneously. Reading from detailed notes or a paper is death. Aimless jabbering is death. Know your points and move toward them. If you have time blocked out for Q&A, make sure it’s neatly divided from your main speaking time. In apologetics, as you probably know, getting off the rails too early will not result in a memorable experience.

These are just guidelines, though. Everyone has their own method.

The canon of the OT, though? Lol. That’s a pretty involved, complicated topic. You should know it VERY well, because if you just use the standard Catholic “talking points” while talking about ancient Jewish history, you could be treading into really deep waters. I once gave a talk on the deuterocanonicals and I mentioned that “the Septuagint was accepted by the VAST majority of Jews in Jesus’ time.” Someone pressed me on it. I finally had to admit to myself that I only knew that because Mark Shea said so. Lol.

Anyway, research and humility are key. Speak to teach and enlighten, nothing more.

Hello Rand,

If there are going to be anti-Catholics there, why don’t you ask them how Abraham went to heaven through Jesus, faith without works or faith through works?

The main point of the Old Testament is the promise of eternal life which is attained, even for them, through Jesus. The answer to the question ‘What must I do to share in everlasting life?’ is the same for both Old Testament and New Testament people.

Please visit Jesus, What Must I Do To Share In Everlasting Life?

NAB MAR 12:18Then some **Sadducees who hold there is no resurrection **came to him with a question …\…12:24 Jesus said: “You are badly misled, because you fail to understand the Scriptures or the power of God. When people rise from the dead, they neither marry nor are given in marriage but live like angels in heaven. As to the raising of the dead, have you not read in the book of Moses, in the passage about the burning bush, how God told him, ‘I am the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, the God of Jacob’? He is the God of the living not of the dead, You are very much mistaken.” NAB MAR 10:17

"Good Teacher, what must I do to share in everlasting life?" Jesus answered, "Why do you call me good? No one is good but God alone. You know the commandments:

'You shall not kill;
You shall not commit adultery;
You shall not steal;
You shall not bear false witness;
You shall not defraud;
Honor your father and your mother.’"

In the military, they always taught us then when you’re going to give a presentation, do the following:

Tell them what you’re going to tell them.

Tell them.

Tell them what you just told them.

Give a synopsis of your talk for about 30 seconds, then enter your presentation. Do as BibleReader has illustrated. Finally, sum up everything you just said in about a minute or two. If there are questions, repeat the question nice and loud (so everyone can hear it and you can make sure you understand their question), then answer. Once answered, ask, “Did that answer your question?”.

Just a suggestion.

Good luck, and God Bless,
RyanL

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.