Giving money to the Church

Does God bless us when we give money to the Church?

Will it make it easier for us to enter heaven if we keep giving money to the Church?

1. I consider anything I can do for the Church a blessing because by extension, it leads to souls being saved.

2. Only in the sense that it keeps the churches open and the sacraments available. Without funds, churches do have to close.

God isn’t sitting in heaven with a giant abacus saying, “Jim gave $10 today. That gets him a year off of his time in purgatory.”

I do recall some priest saying “The second a coin in the coffer rings, the soul from Purgatory springs”. Not sure who it was though.

But still, no bad can happen by donating money.

Also remember this: It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God. Mark 10:25

~ Pius :knight1:

This was one of the common abuses that Martin Luther was compaining about in his 95 Theses. In fact it was the one which prompted him to write them.

On this topic Luther was correct. This practice was then banned by the council of Trent.
As i understand it it is against cannon law for the church to demand payment for any sacrament or any indulgence. Nor can indulgences be sold in any form for material gain.

you are bound by the requirement to support your church in material means according to your own means. this is one of the “Precepts of the church” the CCC currently lists 5 Precepts (though some sources list 6 (or 7 in the US where the USCCB added an extra precept). the requirement to “Provide for the material needs of the Church, each according to his means.” is then listed as an un-numbered 6th within the same paragraph.

You cannot buy your way into Heaven. It is by Faith that we are saved, through the Sacraments which Jesus gave us, and by doing what Jesus told us. If you have the means to help your local parish, either finiancilally or by giving your time to the parish works, and fail to do so, you are in dissobediance to the Church, and as such you are not doing what Jesus told you… as St. Paul says you become as an empty vessel making lots of noise, or in the Lords own words: your become one of those who cry “Lord Lord” who he will not reccognise.

at the same time- do not make the mistake of adding the word “Alone” into the statement that “it is by Faith that we are saved”. That small addition hugely twists the message of the entire bible. it is the Lutheran Heresy - one of the 2 on which the whole Protestant Reformation was founded.

I have re-read the original post:

Yes, but in a limited way.

Jesus tells us that you will be rewarded for such “good deeds”. They donot buy your way into heaven. However, assuming that you reach heaven, you will be rewarded for your good deeds. - Looking after and supporting the church by donating time, money or anything else you can give is a good deed.
Often giving your time is even etter- especially as that allows you to directly take part in the missionary work of the church rather than just paying for others to do so.

What I have to say may sound a bit blunt but please take it in the charitable and instructive way that it is intended.

These questions come from a very “wrong headed” way of thinking about salvation. Such thinking plays directly into the protestant accusation that Catholics think they can “earn” there way to heaven. I am sure that this is not what you meant to convey, but just look carefully at what you wrote and I am sure you will see what I mean.

Being Christian is not about “Law”, although we are given rules for the purpose of guidance and discipline. Rather being a Christian is about Love. God’s Love for us and ours for Him and each other.

God Blesses us when we Love…
Part of that Love, as already pointed out, is a desire to support the work of His Church.
Naturally if one has the loving desire but is unable, no blessing is lost.
On the other hand, if one gives money for selfish reasons no real blessing or benefit is gained.

We make it easier to get into heaven by seeking to conform ourselves as fully as possible to Christ, in Love. Giving money to the Church, or to any worthy charity is one of many acts that can show this love, but it is the love, and not the act that helps us get into heaven.

Peace
James

Ok

I personally like to give donations to the poor or to a parish church i attend,i was just wondering like my first question ,how does God respond to our giving of money/donation,does he bless us each time we give money perhaps?

Providing its done with love and good intentions.

Or should i just believe that God does reward all the love that we show and may reward us here or in heaven.

With the second question i know i was being a bit silly…

Glad you know the second question is silly - Just be careful that others (non-Catholics) don’t get the wrong impression…

God responds to Love with Love, or He responds to our love for each other with grace (a manifestation of His Love).
I resist the idea of being too specific on "how"god responds to a specific act. God responds in His own time and in His own way for the good of his children. I think you second comment is the best and correct way to view it, “…just believe that God does reward all the love that we show and may reward us here or in heaven.” :thumbsup:

Peace
James

ROFL :rotfl:

My friend, that is from Johann Tetzel, the Dominican preacher who sold indulgences!

1 As Jesus looked up, he saw the rich putting their gifts into the temple treasury. 2 He also saw a poor widow put in two very small copper coins. 3 “Truly I tell you,” he said, “this poor widow has put in more than all the others. 4 All these people gave their gifts out of their wealth; but she out of her poverty put in all she had to live on.”

Is charity good? Yes.

Is all charity equal? No.

Is God to be outdone in charity? No.

Offer what you can, but consider what is a “bigger” offering from you… $5 in the collection basket, or a few nights a week serving at the homeless shelter/soup kitchen/food pantry? Dropping your spare change in the poor box, or teaching religious education for the year? Tossing in a few dollars for a special collection for retired religious/Peter’s Pence/the building fund, or joining the Altar Society/Knights of Columbus/Catholic Daughters/St. Vincent de Paul Society and actively participating in their good works?

As the diocesan appeals are so fond of reminding us, we can donate our time, treasure, and talent. :wink: Do your best to give a little of all three.

Well, it’s not going to be the biggest factor. I think there are so many things God takes into account when giving blessings and judging who will make it into heaven that we can’t really know the affect of anything we do for sure, other than payer and following the church teachings.

However, I think this is probably at least a small factor in the vast equation.

OH woops! Thank you for putting the name to the quote.

~ Pius :knight1:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.