Giving Thanks for Dean and Pelosi

Giving Thanks for Dean and Pelosi

Although Thanksgiving has come and gone, and Christmas is right around the corner, now is the perfect time to give thanks. In particular, thanks for Democrats like Nancy Pelosi and Howard Dean who are doing their part to bail water out of the Republicans’ public opinion ship.

This has been a tough year for Republicans. There’s no doubt about it. President Bush’s approval ratings have hit record lows; grassroots conservatives are frustrated over Republicans inability to control spending or move past “guest worker” programs in addressing border security; and the media is constantly painting a picture of failure in Iraq.

One would think that the Democrats would be salivating over such an alignment of good fortune, and they should be. Republicans have dropped the ball numerous times when given the opportunity to actually stand up and lead. However, just when the momentum appears to be headed toward the Democrats, left-wing standard bearers such as Rep. Nancy Pelosi (D-CA) and Democratic National Committee Chairman Howard Dean remind voters that being reckless is much worse than being inept.

more…

I was actually having these same thankful thoughts on the way to work today as I was surfing the radio dial. We should also thank Air America who has helped to “take back their party”. If they all keep it up, the Republican party will have another good showing next year in the mid-term elections.

[quote=buffalo]Giving Thanks for Dean and Pelosi

Although Thanksgiving has come and gone, and Christmas is right around the corner, now is the perfect time to give thanks. In particular, thanks for Democrats like Nancy Pelosi and Howard Dean who are doing their part to bail water out of the Republicans’ public opinion ship.

This has been a tough year for Republicans. There’s no doubt about it. President Bush’s approval ratings have hit record lows; grassroots conservatives are frustrated over Republicans inability to control spending or move past “guest worker” programs in addressing border security; and the media is constantly painting a picture of failure in Iraq.

One would think that the Democrats would be salivating over such an alignment of good fortune, and they should be. Republicans have dropped the ball numerous times when given the opportunity to actually stand up and lead. However, just when the momentum appears to be headed toward the Democrats, left-wing standard bearers such as Rep. Nancy Pelosi (D-CA) and Democratic National Committee Chairman Howard Dean remind voters that being reckless is much worse than being inept.

more…
[/quote]

Wow, when I first saw the title of this post I was ready to pounce on the author. Come to find out it was tongue and cheek. It’s amazing that democrats continue to use the same failed formula. When’s the last time you witnessed a positive, upbeat democrat? Al Franken, on the cover of his latest screed is shown smirking to his would be readers. Bill press looked like he came from the proctologist on his last book “Bush Must Go”. They all look angry, frustrated and miserable. People would flock back to the democrat party if they’d return to their pro-life roots. If they’d stick up for traditional (normal) marriage. But lefties like Dean and Pelosi drive prospective independents crazy. As long the the DNC is headed by screaming Howard, there is no room for in the center for guys like Lieberman who has some decency. So, yes, be thankful for the left wing wackos that make the democrats look silly.

The Democrats have not cottoned on to the fact that their formula for success is outdated. They became a majority party by bringing together many different special-interest groups. The problem they face now is that these special-interest groups now “own” the party and are more radical than they were in former years.

To be a Democrat, you have to appeal to the extremists. To appeal to the American people, however, requires a more moderate stance.

That explains why good men, like Joe Lieberman, cannot win their party’s support.

[quote=vern humphrey]To be a Democrat, you have to appeal to the extremists.
[/quote]

Not all us Dems are extremists by a long shot. To be a Democrat, one can be a moderate. The leadership, however, can be characterized as extreme, IMO.

To appeal to the American people, however, requires a more moderate stance.

I agree, and this will mean a moderate, not an extremist candidate in '08 by the GOP, and by the Dems if they read the wind. It may take another licking before my party does right by everyone.

That explains why good men, like Joe Lieberman, cannot win their party’s support.

A reasonable conclusion.

[quote=Arba Sicula]Not all us Dems are extremists by a long shot. To be a Democrat, one can be a moderate.
[/quote]

Too true. Please don’t lump us all together as members of the lunatic fringe. :stuck_out_tongue:

I realize that not all democrats are on the lunatic fringe. But the party as a whole is. The example I bring is there refusal to have Democrats For Life, a pro-life democrat organization anywhere near their conventions. As far a “moderates”, sometimes that is a euphamism for “liberal”. Now, if you’re a pro-life democrat, I support you whole heartedly. I have less patience with those who are pro-choice, pro-homosexual and care little about the destruction of our culture. I am an independent, because neither party gets me. I don’t ascribe to the republicans belief that big business can do no wrong. And the dems don’t understand traditional values at all. So where do you go? You go with the best person for the job. I voted 3rd party last time (Constitution Party) because the Iraq war has wasted valuable resources that could have been used to sure up our borders and increase of national security. (see 911 commission report) Although I appreciate some of the president’s policies, especially his supreme court appointments, I feel he lacks the intelligence and vision we need in a leader.

[quote=DavidJ]I realize that not all democrats are on the lunatic fringe. But the party as a whole is. The example I bring is there refusal to have Democrats For Life, a pro-life democrat organization anywhere near their conventions. As far a “moderates”, sometimes that is a euphamism for “liberal”. Now, if you’re a pro-life democrat, I support you whole heartedly. I have less patience with those who are pro-choice, pro-homosexual and care little about the destruction of our culture. I am an independent, because neither party gets me. I don’t ascribe to the republicans belief that big business can do no wrong. And the dems don’t understand traditional values at all. So where do you go? You go with the best person for the job. I voted 3rd party last time (Constitution Party) because the Iraq war has wasted valuable resources that could have been used to sure up our borders and increase of national security. (see 911 commission report) Although I appreciate some of the president’s policies, especially his supreme court appointments, I feel he lacks the intelligence and vision we need in a leader.
[/quote]

I agree with pretty much everything you say. I truly wish there was a viable third party in this country. IMO the reason so many eligable voters stay away from the polls is not apathy so much as there not being a candidate they feel they can support.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.