Glasgow Episcopal Cathedral service allowed Koran reading saying Jesus was not the Son of God

St Mary’s Episcopal Cathedral has been criticised because the verses contradict Christian teaching about Jesus.

The service was held on the feast of the Epiphany when western Christians mark the visit to the infant Jesus by wise men.

The cathedral provost said the reading was aimed at promoting understanding between the two faiths.
…]
The chapter tells the story of the birth of Christ to the virgin Mary, and includes the Islamic teaching that Jesus is not the son of God and should not be worshipped, which has provoked criticism from some Anglicans.
…]
Asked if he had known what the Koran verse specifically said about Jesus, Mr Holdsworth declined to comment further.

:doh2: This is a major problem with theologically liberal denominations. It does seem like for them the definition of tolerance is rejecting everything you believe and accept everything others believe.
bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-38591559

Anglican minister sparks outrage by urging prayers for Prince George to be gay

I saw the video of this the other day. When I read what she was chanting, I couldn’t believe it. Isn’t that blasphemy? I guess it was good she was chanting in Arabic so most people did not know what she was saying. It was very long. It sounded pretty, but shouldn’t have been done in a Christian church. I guess the priest did not read what the surah said ahead of time. How was this discovered I wonder?

Liberal/progressive Christianity has gone so far from orthodox Christianity that it is barely recognizable as Christianity anymore. I suppose there may be a few liberal/progressive Christian ecclesial communities out there that would still be recognizable as Christian but I don’t believe there are many, if any at all.

Since the Dean has now been censured by the Head of the Scottish Episcopal Church, one can surmise that this ill-advised incident was a mistake and won’t be repeated.

Yes, many are favoring “social justice” (although not really justice) and neglecting sound doctrine and teachings of the Church…

Sad.

I don’t see how the reading shows that anyone was rejecting what they believe and accepting everything others believe. It was an attempt at building inner faith relationships and to create greater awareness of things held in common and ways in which we differ.

independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/bishop-scotland-church-episcopal-david-chillingworth-muslim-student-jesus-christ-quran-church-a7528541.html

Something imho the world needs much more of. Not less.

It is completely inappropriate that in a place of Christian worship it should be declared that Christ is not God, nor should He be worshipped. Building “inner faith relationships” should not mean having one religious truths insulted. Do you think muslims would sit still if someone went into a mosque and proclaimed that Jesus, God the Father and the Holy Spirit are one, that they are all equally God and should be worshipped as such?

I wasn’t there so I’m not sure how many, if any, in attendance were insulted if they were secure in their own faith and they understood the purpose. As to what Christians do though, I don’t see why it should determined by what Muslims would or would not do. I’ve actually known of a Catholic who was invited into a mosque for dialogue.

washingtonpost.com/news/post-politics/wp/2015/12/11/visiting-a-northern-virginia-mosque-omalley-expresses-solidarity-with-muslims/?utm_term=.bd24018ae770

And Pope Francis has met with a Muslim leader.

americamagazine.org/content/dispatches/pope-francis-and-top-sunni-leader-meet-vatican

And Pope Francis, whom faithful Catholics believe is the vicar of Christ on earth, has washed the feet of Muslims on Holy Thursday. Saying in his homily
“All of us together, Muslims, Hindus, Catholics, Copts, Evangelical [Protestants] brothers and sisters — children of the same God — we want to live in peace, integrated.”

washingtonpost.com/news/worldviews/wp/2016/03/25/children-of-the-same-god-pope-francis-washes-the-feet-of-muslim-migrants/?utm_term=.b2b5723b956f

There’s nothing wrong with Christians and Muslims meeting to talk about faith, such as what Pope Francis did, but that is completely different from the Qur’an or being chanted during a liturgy, especially when it denies core tenants of the Christian faith.

Even visiting a mosque to show solidarity is perfectly okay, but do you think O’Malley recited passages from St. Paul’s epistles highlighting Christ’s divinity? Heck no!

There’s a saying “Don’t be so open minded that your brains fall out.” I think we’re seeing an illustration of it here.

Pope Francis, on Holy Thursday, washed the feet of as he described them, his Muslim brothers, the Holy Father saying he was doing the same act Jesus did in washing the feet of his apostles at the Last Supper.

“You, we, all of us together, of different religions, different cultures, but children of the same Father, brothers — Today, at this time, when I do the same act of Jesus washing the feet of twelve of you, let us all make a gesture of brotherhood, and let us all say: 'We are different, we are different, we have different cultures and religions, but we are brothers and we want to live in peace.”

washingtonpost.com/news/worldviews/wp/2016/03/25/children-of-the-same-god-pope-francis-washes-the-feet-of-muslim-migrants/?utm_term=.9c9dfa0d1893

We could go back and forth on this and never see things in the same light though til in faith Christ comes again. Best wishes along your own faith journey. Peace.

Excuse me? My brains are intact thank you very much. As I imagine the brains of those at the Glascow Episcopal Cathedral service still are as well. Just because another Christian community looks at something like this differently, doesn’t mean their brains have fallen out.

I agree.

Allowing that recitation rejecting the Divinity of Jesus during worship is saying to God they don’t accept Jesus as the Son of God. Worship is for God not building interfaith relations. Texts that don’t uphold the Christian faith have no place in such a context unless if such texts are repudiated, which of course would place their Muslim guests in an awkward situation. Had this been a forum instead of worship there would be little outrage.

That’s not quite what it is saying to me. To me it is saying to God and to those who were there for worship, that Muslims revere and respect Jesus whom they consider a messenger of God… and whom those who regularly worship in the Cathedral also revere but in a place where many also likely consider Him the resurrected Savior in their faith. I’m sure God already knows all of that though.

Pretty sure God doesn’t like heresy and blasphemy. And the diluting-down of what little faith there is left in the West. And the lukewarm indifferent attitude of Christians while Jesus is mocked by His detractors (though they live in ignorance).

He’s merciful, but right is right, and wrong is wrong. God is Justice and Truth. Which is why Judgment Day will be a terrible day for all of us.

The real question is what counts as “recognizable as Christian”.

Though a denial of Jesus’ divinity is a rather large step against.

In other news, that’s the problem with anarchic structure in religion:

You see that in Protestantism, which is defined by what it isn’t (namely, tied to the Vatican or any episcopal authority that recognizes it in any respect) as much as what it is (Christian). Protestantism ranges from the fundamentalism seen in isolated evangelical groups across the United States at least (though especially in the South and Appalachia) to the liberalism mentioned in this article and especially prevalent in the Episcopal Church (in America, anyway).

You see that in Islam, where liberal clerics and ISIS duke it out with differing interpretations of the Quran and hadiths; neither side can claim to universally be the “right” one, since there’s no outside authority to say “this is right”. (Muslims of the CA Forums: If I’m wrong, please correct me. My knowledge of Islam is more limited than I can say I’m comfortable with. Thanks.)

You let everybody go their own way, people go weird directions.

This is why we have a hierarchy.

You are right. Social justice, true social justice, is important but so is orthodox doctrine.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.