Glass Bowl to hold the Eucharist?

I was at a Mass recently where the the ciborium was a large glass bowl. (I was under the impression that it needed to be gold or another precious medal.) I was also surprised when the priest went over to the tabernacle and transferred to consecrated hosts from the glass bowl, by hand, into the tabernacle. The size of the bowl was around 16 inches in diameter and was to large to fit into the tabernacle.So the priest held the bowl with one hand and used the other to transfer the hosts. This approach doesn’t seem to be correct and looks like it could cause the blessed sacrament to fall to the floor fairly easily. I don’t believe that this is the correct way for the priest to handle the blessed sacrament, am I wrong? :confused:

[quote=returning]I was at a Mass recently where the the ciborium was a large glass bowl. (I was under the impression that it needed to be gold or another precious medal.) I was also surprised when the priest went over to the tabernacle and transferred to consecrated hosts from the glass bowl, by hand, into the tabernacle. The size of the bowl was around 16 inches in diameter and was to large to fit into the tabernacle.So the priest held the bowl with one hand and used the other to transfer the hosts. This approach doesn’t seem to be correct and looks like it could cause the blessed sacrament to fall to the floor fairly easily. I don’t believe that this is the correct way for the priest to handle the blessed sacrament, am I wrong? :confused:
[/quote]

No, you are correct.

[quote=returning]I was at a Mass recently where the the ciborium was a large glass bowl. (I was under the impression that it needed to be gold or another precious medal.)
[/quote]

Technically it can be any material that is, in the culture, deemed “precious” but it should not be easily broken. This would, in general, eliminate the use of glass (but some crystal might be acceptable).

I was also surprised when the priest went over to the tabernacle and transferred to consecrated hosts from the glass bowl, by hand, into the tabernacle. The size of the bowl was around 16 inches in diameter and was to large to fit into the tabernacle.So the priest held the bowl with one hand and used the other to transfer the hosts. This approach doesn’t seem to be correct and looks like it could cause the blessed sacrament to fall to the floor fairly easily. I don’t believe that this is the correct way for the priest to handle the blessed sacrament, am I wrong? :confused:

At the end of communion I frequently will use my hands to transfer the Blessed Sacrament to one of the ciboria that will fit in the tabernacle. This seems more respectful than trying to dump from a large paten into a small ciborium. So, no, there was nothing wrong with that approach.

Deacon Ed

Thanks Deacon Ed,

I was just concerned more over the means of transfer, as I said this is a fairly large bowl and the priest was holding the bottom of the bowl with one hand during the transfer. I think it should have been held on a more stable platform, such as a table then being held in one hand.

Is the use of glass/crystal left up to the parish or bishop? My parish uses only glass/crystal except during Lent when they break out the precious metal. After attending Mass at other parishes in the same diocese I am finding some use glass/crystal, others use precious metal. Regardless, what is one to do if the use of crystal/glass is not appropriate and is being used, other than switching parishes?

Better then the clay patens I sometimes see.

[quote=returning]Thanks Deacon Ed,

I was just concerned more over the means of transfer, as I said this is a fairly large bowl and the priest was holding the bottom of the bowl with one hand during the transfer. I think it should have been held on a more stable platform, such as a table then being held in one hand.
[/quote]

Well, I think that’s a matter of what the individual is comfortable with. I have arthritis in one hand so tend to leave the one I’m transferring from on the altar while also leaving the smaller ciborium on the altar. If there are only a few hosts left in the large bowl then, yes, I may pick it up and pour the hosts in the ciborium.

There is no specific, Church-directed way of dealing with this.

Deacon Ed

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.