Gloria and Creed

I have question about the Gloria and Creed. In my missal, for the Mass for the Immaculate Conception, there was a note that the Gloria and the Creed are to be said. I went to my local parish for Mass today and we said the Creed but not the Gloria. I figured, “Oh, it’s Advent, so that’s why we didn’t say it.” But then I remembered that during Ordinary Time, there would be feast days of apostles (such as the Solemnity of Sts. Peter & Paul) where the Gloria and Creed were to be said, and we didn’t say the Gloria then either. This was at a different parish too.

So I’m wondering is it a problem that the Gloria was not said? I also wonder why; maybe I’ll have to ask the priest/liturgy director to find out.

It is clearly an error...but why?...what is the pastor's/priest's rationale?...I am sure he has one...and it is not valid...but you need to ask [your instinct is correct IMHO]...not to argue...but just to see what they are thinking...honest mistake?...or some personal idiosyncrasy?... either way...when all the reasons/rationales are said...the end result is going to be the same: he is wrong.

Pax Christi

USCCB Prayer And Worship The Mass
General Instruction Of The Roman Missal

*Chapter II: The Structure Of The Mass, Its Elements, And Its Parts

The Gloria in Excelsis

1. The Gloria in excelsis (Glory to God in the highest) is a most ancient and venerable hymn by which the Church, gathered in the Holy Spirit, glorifies and entreats God the Father and the Lamb. The text of this hymn may not be replaced by any other. It is intoned by the Priest or, if appropriate, by a cantor or by the choir; but it is sung either by everyone together, or by the people alternately with the choir, or by the choir alone. If not sung, it is to be recited either by everybody together or by two choirs responding one to the other.

I. The Choice of Mass

**353. On Solemnities the Priest is obliged to follow the Calendar of the church **where he is celebrating.

It is** sung or said** on Sundays outside Advent and Lent, and also on Solemnities and Feasts, and at particular celebrations of a more solemn character.

You know, priests are human beings. Sometimes they just make mistakes.

How would the rest of us fare if, everytime we made a mistake, someone started a thread on CAF about it.

I would bet it was a simple accident. He may have thought the Gloria was not to be used because it's the season of Advent, forgetting that the solemnity of the Immaculate Conception overrides Advent's liturgical color and omission of the Gloria.

I wonder what color chasuble was he we wearing. If it was a purple one, then I would agree. If he put on a white one, he would have had to have known or at least remembered.

Well, at the vigil Mass last night, despite seeing the priest’s white chasuble, I couldn’t remember whether we were to say the Gloria or not.

It’s possible to forget.

I'll confess that I had to double check the rubrics on whether or not the Gloria is said during Advent. Usually, the Gloria and the Te Deum at the end of the Office of Readings go hand in hand. If you pray one, you pray the other. Except on Sundays in Advent. But, I remembered that on Advent Sundays, you pray one and omit the other. I'm not sure why. But, I had to check to be sure which one was prayed and which one was omitted. In Lent, on the other hand, both the Gloria and Te Deum are omitted.

[quote="japhy, post:6, topic:307637"]
Well, at the vigil Mass last night, despite seeing the priest's white chasuble, I couldn't remember whether we were to say the Gloria or not.

It's possible to forget.

[/quote]

The priest was wearing white.

It looks like the consensus thinks that it was simple forgetfulness. I can understand that. Just threw me for loop is all. :)

If it was a Saturday Morning Mass on Dec 7th, he should have used both the creed and gloria.

If it was the 2nd Sunday of Advent Vigil Mass on Dec 7th, he should have used the instructions for Advent Sundays and omit the gloria.

Of course, the color of Vestment should have been white for the morning mass and purple for the evening mass.

Umm, the 7th was a Friday, not a Saturday. So there’s no way the evening Mass could have been the second Sunday of Advent Mass, unless the priest was confused about which day it was.

ok. I goofed on this one. My references should have used 8th, not 7th. :blush:

The simple answer is that the Gloria and Creed should have been prayed since it was supposed to be a Solemnity.

Now, while not legally correct, some parishes have gotten into the habit of not doing the Gloria and/or Creed for Holy Days because they normally fall on weekdays and people are busy going to work and/or school or picking up children from school and making dinner and getting them to bed. The U.S. is not a ‘Catholic country’ where businesses and schools close for Holy Days. And even though it may have been a Saturday morning, parishes tend not to keep changing practices from Mass to Mass (“OK, at the 9 AM Mass we’ll do the Gloria, but not at the 7 PM Mass”), and thus it’s possible that they just don’t do Glorias on Holy Days as a matter of practice. Whether one agrees with that pastoral decision or not is another matter. Also, they may have just forgot. Or it’s normally done by the cantor and the cantor wasn’t there and so… they forgot.

[quote="japhy, post:6, topic:307637"]
Well, at the vigil Mass last night, despite seeing the priest's white chasuble, I couldn't remember whether we were to say the Gloria or not.

It's possible to forget.

[/quote]

True, but then, it's not your job to remember. I mean, sometimes I forget stuff at work, but someone always mentions it. :)

So, it might still be a good idea for the OP to go up to the priest privately and say something like, "Father, we didn't pray the Gloria and such-and-so Mass. Did you just forget, or am I confused about what happens on a solemnity in Advent?"

If someone mentions it, maybe it is less likely that he will forget for St. Joseph in Lent. :)

--Jen

[quote="revert_jen, post:13, topic:307637"]
True, but then, it's not your job to remember. I mean, sometimes I forget stuff at work, but someone always mentions it. :)

So, it might still be a good idea for the OP to go up to the priest privately and say something like, "Father, we didn't pray the Gloria and such-and-so Mass. Did you just forget, or am I confused about what happens on a solemnity in Advent?"

If someone mentions it, maybe it is less likely that he will forget for St. Joseph in Lent. :)

--Jen

[/quote]

Even monks in very orthodox monasteries make mistakes. One year I was at Vigils and the first reading was taken from the wrong year of the two-year lectionary. I asked my spiritual director why "Father X took the reading from year I when we're in year II". The answer, in typical plain Benedictine fashion was "because Father X made a mistake".

Another time the monk reading the gospel at Mass took the gospel from the wrong year. The monk doing the homily (who was different) was thrown off, and had to explain it before starting the homily.

These things happen to the best of us, even when it is "our job" to remember :blush:

Now if the priest keeps making the same mistake perhaps a gentle reminder might be warranted.

closed #15

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.