Gloria and Daily Mass

I know the Gloria isn't sung during daily Mass; my assumption is that this is to shorten the Mass so people can go back to their daily obligations. Still could a priest ever sing the Gloria at a daily Mass? Or would this be an abuse?

There are some week days that have Glorias. It is never an abuse to sing Mass.

[quote="C794, post:1, topic:341927"]
I know the Gloria isn't sung during daily Mass; my assumption is that this is to shorten the Mass so people can go back to their daily obligations. Still could a priest ever sing the Gloria at a daily Mass? Or would this be an abuse?

[/quote]

The Gloria is celebrated at more special masses

One way to think about it is there are 4 levels of mass

1 is standard week day no feast or memorial
2 memorial
3 feast
4 solemnity

The Gloria is said for 3 and 4 mass meaning all Sundays holy days and feasts like st Matthew St. Peter and Paul etc.

1 and 2 because the mass isn't as high or important doesn't have the Gloria Sung.

Thanks for the replies. So what about the regular daily Masses though? Could it be permissible.

[quote="C794, post:4, topic:341927"]
Thanks for the replies. So what about the regular daily Masses though? Could it be permissible.

[/quote]

From the General Instruction of the Roman Missal:
"53. ... It is sung or said on Sundays outside Advent and Lent, and also on Solemnities and Feasts, and at particular celebrations of a more solemn character."

Having the Gloria for regular daily Masses would not be following this.

In the Missal for every Mass there is a couple of pages that direct the priest as to what parts are to be present for that Mass. If it is a Tuesday and it is a feast that has a Gloria, the Missal will say so, and in such a case the Gloria is required to be said or sung.

In short, some days have Glorias and some don’t. For a “regular” daily Mass, ie a feria, these do not have Glorias. On such a day it would be wrong to have a Gloria.

But if it is like the Tuesday of Easter Week, or one of the days following Christmas, these days have Glorias even though they are week days because they are part of special seasons. This sounds complicated but if you look at the Missal it is very simple.

my assumption is that this is to shorten the Mass so people can go back to their daily obligations.

I would not assume that at all. The Church (as a whole) does not make decisions based on somebody's work schedule.

Now could an individual priest do that? Sure. But how about we be charitable about it and try not to think the main reason we shorten Mass is to bow to the secular.

[quote="YoungTradCath, post:6, topic:341927"]
In the Missal for every Mass there is a couple of pages that direct the priest as to what parts are to be present for that Mass. If it is a Tuesday and it is a feast that has a Gloria, the Missal will say so, and in such a case the Gloria is required to be said or sung.

In short, some days have Glorias and some don't. For a "regular" daily Mass, ie a feria, these do not have Glorias. On such a day it would be wrong to have a Gloria.

But if it is like the Tuesday of Easter Week, or one of the days following Christmas, these days have Glorias even though they are week days because they are part of special seasons. This sounds complicated but if you look at the Missal it is very simple.

[/quote]

You mean the the little book known as the Ordo?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.