Gloria & Feast Days

Can the Gloria be skipped on Feast Days? I noticed where I go to church they skipped the Gloria on the Feast of the Exultation of the Cross and the seond reading. Okay, I thought maybe the priest forgot but the very next week was the Feast of St. Matthew, the Apostle, and again the same thing. These were weekday Masses.

According to my missalette, it says that the Gloria should NOT be omitted unless it is a Sunday/Weekday of Lent or Advent. If this issue continues, I would discuss it with the Pastor. If you cannot sing the Gloria at a weekday mass, they could at least recite it.

Your missalette is incorrect. The Gloria is required on Sundays and Solemnities, except Sundays of Advent or Lent. There are certain rules regarding its recitation on specific Solemnities during the Lenten season.

No, the Gloria is not normally prayed at a weekday Mass, unless that day is a Solemnity or Feast (as understood by the General Norms for the Liturgical Year and Calendar (scborromeo.org/litcal.htm) or at other celebrations of a more solemn character (see the GIRM 53 usccb.org/liturgy/current/chapter2.shtml#sect3a)

The last vocal work here is the latest of several adaptations Vivaldi made of the “Magnificat” which he had originally written for the Pietà, probably during the early 18th century. The arias are sung with expressive character with the best movements provided by Fox and Norman in their assured approach on the cadenza in their “Esurientes” and a brief trio by Norman, Chance and Lemalu on “Sicut locutus est”. The singing of the five soloists couldn’t be more accomplished, but it’s the spirited grandeur of the choir that most pervasively captures Vivaldi’s irrepressible spirit. This recording is one to treasure as the vocal and instrumental ensembles meld perfectly. If Vivaldi’s religious music brings you enjoyment, I also recommend Fabio Biondi’s 2004 release, “Vivaldi: Motets”, which features stunning vocal work from soprano Patrizia Ciofi and his 2002 collaboration with equally stellar work from countertenor David Daniels on “Vivaldi: Stabat Mater, Nisi Dominus, Longe Mala”. All three recordings are strongly recommended.

Chairs

I have seen some discussion on this. Only Feasts of the Lord have a second reading. This appears to be because they supplant a Sunday of Ordinary time if they coincide, and Sunday requires two readings. I have seen some claim that both readings should be used only when the Feast is on a Sunday. However, our diocesan ORDO always specifies both readings.

Feasts of the Lord, like the Exultation of the Cross also have a First Vespers. However, this is used only when the Feast is celebrated on Sunday.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.