Glorified bodies?

I’ve never thought to wonder this until just the other day…
When, assuming we get to Heaven, get our “glorified bodies,” as they are called, wouldn’t it just be the appearance of our bodies as we once were? I can’t imagine we would have internal organs again, and all of that…would we? I don’t know if it’s specifically known, or just another one of those things. For some reason, I more picture that our glorified bodies will consist of merely the outward appearance, and we would be light and spirit-like inside.

I don’t know if they will even be our same outward appearance. I mean the disciples didn’t recognize Jesus’ glorified body so I don’t know if we’ll look the same either. And are there mirrors in heaven? I don’t know. I mean if it is just a spiritual place, why do we need bodies at all?

Peace.

-Trident

I’ve sometimes thought that to receive back our body almost seems too earthly to be spiritual. The body our soul left at death seemed an empty shell…and now we get it back again? Thankfully, not in the cremated ash or buried decomposed form.

Yeah. I mean I sort of think that we show up as we really are. I think that we show up as lights of different brightness or something. We show up as dazzling arrays of starfire or something. It’s something to think about anyway.

Peace Crown of Stars.

-Trident

I don’t know, of course, but I think we will have internal organs. Our bodies will be incorruptible, we will never be sick or suffer decay. Remember, Our Lord ate fish with some of his disciples, and he allowed Thomas to touch him so he would know he was flesh-and-blood and bone.

St. Paul said that the soul goes away in the glorified body because it is no longer needed. The light of Christ is what animates the glorified body and gives it life. Maybe that’s why some who knew Jesus well did not recognize him at first. No one really knows, and Paul would not say much on the subject.

I guess we will just have to wait and see, but I wonder about it sometimes, too.

Well that’s a good point. But I mean I don’t think Jesus’ glorified body was meant to have holes in it forever was it? So maybe something else was going on there. I don’t know. Stuff to wonder I guess.

I’ve wondered about that, too, and I just don’t know. Maybe until he establishes God’s kingdom here on earth.

We just don’t know much about the glorified body. I heard a theology professor once say we will all be about thirty years old and won’t age. I believe we won’t age, but I have no idea how he arrived at the age of thirty, maybe because Christ was “about thirty” when he began his ministry. I just don’t know. I’ve wondered about what kinds of bodies aborted babies will have. They will have bodies as well, but I’m going to assume they will not be babies? I wish I knew more, but I don’t.

I think it’s clear that Christianity holds that we were created to be physical creatures with spiritual souls, not purely spiritual creatures like the angels. Paul basically said that our glorified bodies will be to our earthly bodies as a fully grown tree is to a seed.

1 Corinthians15:37

35But some man will say: How do the dead rise again? or with what manner of body shall they come? 36Senseless man, that which thou sowest is not quickened, except it die first. 37And that which thou sowest, thou sowest not the body that shall be; but bare grain, as of wheat, or of some of the rest. 38But God giveth it a body as he will: and to every seed its proper body. 39All flesh is not the same flesh: but one is the flesh of men, another of beasts, another of birds, another of fishes. 40And there are bodies celestial, and bodies terrestrial: but, one is the glory of the celestial, and another of the terrestrial. 41One is the glory of the sun, another the glory of the moon, and another the glory of the stars. For star differeth from star in glory.

Rather than a mere shell, our future bodies will be a (super)natural continuation of our earthly bodies.

What I don’t quite know is whether those in hell will have glorified bodies or not, and if they will be physically tortured in some way, perhaps in terms physical ailments resulting from sin.

I think that 30 is around the ideal “prime” in terms of age. After that, we start to show signs of aging, like gray hair, hair loss, a bit of slowing on metabolism, etc. It’s the end of youth and the beginning of full adulthood.

I figure people who died in the womb or as babies would either have the adult bodies as they would be (super)naturally, or they would indeed be babies and grow up in paradise.

I’ve though along the same lines, too. I wish we knew more, but I guess if Jesus meant for us to know more, he would have told us.

My understanding of the idea is that our glorified bodies are the perfected form of our current ones, in that there is no decay, there is no malfunctioning, no malformations etc. be they developed, brought on by the environment, or just things we were born with. Genetic decay would not be an issue, nor would genetic or any kind of physical, mental, or neurological malformation. All of these things in our lives are a result of our fallen nature and the imperfect nature of the universe we live in, and yet half of what we are is our bodies. They are beautiful in their complexity and their functionality, and are even beautiful in their shortcomings and brokenness at times. We are one of God’s most favored creations, body and soul, and I can’t imagine that our glorified bodies are just some kind of familiar physical illusion. I’d imagine we’d have all of our organs and whatnot, but just none of our physical flaws. After all, our senses in Heaven will be so complete and perfect that we can’t even imagine what that would be like on Earth, and I’d imagine that in order to taste the wine in God’s cellars, we’d need taste buds. Likewise with all of our other senses. With the amount of complexity just found in the brain, not to mention the rest of our bodies, I’d imagine God wants that to be even more complete in Heaven. Just my thoughts.

It will be the solid human body, alive, with all the limbs and senses.

Our LORD ate, drank, and breathed after His Resurrection, so there is no reason to believe we would not. And while some mechanisms remained in Him allowing that, we have no way of knowing how much those mechanisms resembled those in our standard–issue human bodies.

That people did not recognize Him can be overthought. There are two factors at work here:

1). Resurrection re-shapes and re-perfects the damage life and death do to the human soma. Our LORD had had His face smashed, His skin shredded and His body stretched out (due to hanging by His hands). Although He had a perfect body before all of this occurred, when resurrection reperfected Him, it would stand to reason He’d not look quite the same.

Even though the “resurrectional body” is not precisely the natural human body, the NHB is the template or starting point for the new body (Saint Paul says “seed”).

Everlasting life will also give a radiance to the human skin that we do not possess as mortals; see Rev 1. I’d not be surprised if the difference in visible “aliveness” from the NHB to the RB were greater than from the dead body to the living body!

2). Our LORD’s friends had just seen Him die, and one of the first brutal truths we learn about human death is that we don’t get that person back. So they were probably, as to recognizing Him, in a state of mental block.

ICXC NIKA!

well, if thats true, whats the point of even having the bodies…I mean, our earthly bodies are essentially tools we use for life on earth, the afterlife will not be anything like our earthly life, so its only logical the glorified bodies must be much different, although Im not sure why we could not just go on in soul form in the afterlife?

Lily, I don’t know where you got the idea of the “soul going away.”

SP never said anything like that. The soul is the life; if you are alive you will “have soul.” Soul makes us human because, among other tasks, it generates our human minds.

Mikekle: We do not go on in “soul form” whatever that is, because we are not spirits and never were. As a human being, your body makes you somebody.

Your soul is the life, but requires your body, either the biological being now breathing for you, or the “spiritual body” of the next life, to hold and express the life. Only bodies can do that.

ICXC NIKA

The soul is immortal. That means forever. I’ve always felt we’re more soul than body; that our true meant being is spiritual.

We are fully soul and fully body.. Your soul makes you ‘you,’ but it’s your body who makes you “somebody.”

ICXC NIKA

That’s not entirely correct, I don’t think. Based on my readings on visions of some Saints, some of Jesus and the apostles’ words in the New Testament, and various traditions of the Church, I understand the afterlife to be the fulfillment of our earthly life, that being even more perfect with more experiences for our senses, and without the pains and problems that affect us during our time on Earth, to the point that it’s utterly incomprehensible for us until we’re able to experience it. The Bible talks about the new Earth and the new Jerusalem, and at mass each Sunday, we mention all members of the Church, in Heaven and on Earth, patiently awaiting the resurrection of the body and life everlasting. It’s not just metaphorical phrasing. God created an entire universe for us to share in experiencing with Him, and 60-100 years is in no way enough time to experience everything there is in it. Which isn’t the point of this life anyway. It’s to live in accordance with God’s Will and Love by our own choice for a number of years so that we can spend eternity experiencing creation as God intended it to be experienced, in full communion with Him and with full and undiminished faculty of our senses and intellects.

I got the idea a few years ago from one of my own professors of theology who has a doctorate and is far more learned than I am. I will email him today and ask for a clarification because I’ve always thought the soul was immortal, too.

If the soul requires a body, then what will become of us after death but before the resurrection?

As the Catechism states

366 The Church teaches that every spiritual soul is created immediately by God - it is not “produced” by the parents - and also that it is immortal: it does not perish when it separates from the body at death, and it will be reunited with the body at the final Resurrection.235

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.