Glossa Ordinaria in English!

I just wanted to let everyone know that I have begun a series of translations of the Glossa Ordinaria. I had tried for a few years to get this project off the ground but had not been able to get others on board to help. But it has taken off like a rocket, and God has provided me with some very gifted and generous translators from all over the world. The first volume will be of 1-3 epistles of John. This volume will be published in the near future. For those who don’t know what the Glossa is, it is a Medieval Bible commentary that has the Scripture text in the center of the page and many explanations from mostly the Early Church Fathers surrounding it. It was the standard Bible commentary used by St. Thomas Aquinas and many other great theologians. This is the project of my dreams and God has allowed me an opportunity to get it underway! I will keep you all updated on the progress.

That is amazing! You always pump out the best resources. Please remember to make the text searchable and, if you can, easy to look up individual verses or passages. God bless your efforts! :thumbsup:

Well done! Bravo! We await the completion with much anticipation! :thumbsup:

Awesome, thanks.:thumbsup:

Thank you folks! Yes dmar198, it will actually have two layouts in the book, one layout will be in the way that the old Glossa Ordinaria was laid out with the Scripture passages in the middle of the page and the glosses surrounding it. The other layout will be laid out like a modern Study Bible. This way the reader can experience the Gloss in the way that it was laid out originally, while the modern reader can also have it as a study tool and in a format that they are familiar with.

The really cool thing about the Glossa Ordinaria is that it was basically the Study Bible that St. Thomas Aquinas used! If it was good enough for Aquinas then its surely good enough for me!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.