Glossary of Roman Catholic Terms And Their Abbreviations

Every now and then, someone asks "what does EF and OF mean ? " So perhaps we need a thread for that, since we abbreviate those terms here in our discussions.

I’ll start with just a few of these terms so others can contribute. And of course, we won’t limit it to abbreviations. Common Latin phrases welcome as well.

OF = Forma ordinaria, or, Ordinary Form of the Mass. This is the most widely used form of the Mass today. The Roman Missal is used for this form of the Mass.

EF = Forma extraordinaria, or Extraordinary form of the Mass. The 1962 Roman Catholic Missal is used for this Mass.

SP = the Apostolic Letter “Summorum Pontificum”, a Motu Proprio issued by Benedict XVI concerning the EF ewtn.com/library/papaldoc/b16SummorumPontificum.htm

Deus vult = Latin for “God Wills It !”

next :slight_smile:

Here's a few:

JPII = Pope John Paul II

B16 = Pope Benedict XVI

CDF = Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith

USCCB = United States Conference of Catholic Bishops

GIRM = General Instruction for the Roman Missal

CCC = Catechism of the Catholic Church

CIC = Code of Canon Law (Codex Iuris Canonici)

FSSP = Priestly Fraternity of St. Peter (Fraternitas Sacerdotalis Sancti Petri)

ICK = Institute of Christ the King Soverign Priest

SSPX = Society of St. Pius X (not in good standing)

SSPV = Society of St. Pius V (sedevacantist/schismatic)

EMHC = Extraordinary Minister of Holy Communion (often called Eucharistic Ministers or "EM's", but this usage is potentially misleading and has been discouraged by the Vatican as only deacons, priests, and bishops are ordinary ministers of Holy Communion).

TO = Third Order
COTT = Communion on the tongue
CITH = Communion in the hand
UE = Universae Ecclesiae, The Instruction on Summorum Pontificum

We could copy and paste to keep them together

JPII = Pope John Paul II

B16 = Pope Benedict XVI

EMHC = Extraordinary Minister of Holy Communion (often called Eucharistic Ministers or "EM's", but this usage is potentially misleading and has been discouraged by the Vatican as only deacons, priests, and bishops are ordinary ministers of Holy Communion).

OF = Forma ordinaria, or, Ordinary Form of the Mass. This is the most widely used form of the Mass today. The Roman Missal is used for this form of the Mass.

EF = Forma extraordinaria, or Extraordinary form of the Mass. The 1962 Roman Catholic Missal is used for this Mass.

SP = the Apostolic Letter "Summorum Pontificum", a Motu Proprio issued by Benedict XVI concerning the EF ewtn.com/library/papaldoc...Pontificum.htm

Deus vult = Latin for "God Wills It !"

TO = Third Order

ICK = Institute of Christ the King Soverign Priest (Anglophone)

ICRSS = more official acronym for same priests.

SSPX = Society of St. Pius X (Anglophone)

FSSPX = more official acronym for same priests.

Also,

CRSJC or just SJC = Canons Regular of St John Cantius (I don’t have their official title)

You guys beat me to it! lol. I vote for sticky!!!

Hey Trent could you PM the mod and ask if this could be a sticky?

Although they are not celebrated as widely as the Roman Rite Mass, there are other Rites of the Latin Church, such as the Ambrosian Rite, and the Dominican Rite. So it would be more accurate to say the Ordinary and Extraordinary Forms of the Roman Rite.

Collective update

JPII = Pope John Paul II

B16 = Pope Benedict XVI

ICRSS = more official acronym for same priests.

FSSPX = more official acronym for same priests.

EMHC = Extraordinary Minister of Holy Communion (often called Eucharistic Ministers or “EM’s”, but this usage is potentially misleading and has been discouraged by the Vatican as only deacons, priests, and bishops are ordinary ministers of Holy Communion).

SP = the Apostolic Letter “Summorum Pontificum”, a Motu Proprio issued by Benedict XVI concerning the EF ewtn.com/library/papaldoc…Pontificum.htm

Deus vult = Latin for “God Wills It !”

TO = Third Order

CRSJC or just SJC = Canons Regular of St John Cantius

Noted. I think it is clear by the thread title, the mention of the Roman Missals, and the description of the sub forum though.

Um, let’s see if there is more interest first. I just bumped this from the second page, so…

Thanks though. If more contribute, I’ll try and make the list alphabetical.

test

DFCCLCC

Devout fanatical Catholic that knows Canon law cover to cover

[quote="PiousTemplar, post:13, topic:253425"]
DFCCLCC

Devout fanatical Catholic that knows Canon law cover to cover

[/quote]

lol

I've seen those

I’m glad someone got it :smiley:

Did you get
LOTH = Liturgy of the Hours
DO= Divine Office
RB= Roman Breviary

Sadly
Sede = sedevacantist

OHCAC

http://tattoolettering.net/font_image.php?string=One%20Holy%20Catholic%20Apostolic%20Church&text_color=000000 &size=40&font=Old%20English%20Style%202.ttf

That’s what is means? LOl nice!!

OP = * Ordo Praedicatorum * (Latin for Order of Preachers, more popularly known as the Dominican Order)

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.