GM and Segway unveil new two-wheeled urban vehicle

All I can say is :hypno: :bluelite: :takeoff: :egyptian: :whackadoo: :jrbirdman: :choocho:

**GM and Segway unveil new two-wheeled urban vehicle**         
                             NEW YORK – A solution to the world's urban transportation problems could lie in two wheels not four, according to executives for General Motors Corp. and Segway Inc.
             The companies announced Tuesday that they are working together to develop a two-wheeled, two-seat electric vehicle designed to be a fast, safe, inexpensive and clean alternative to traditional cars and trucks for cities across the world.

Here is the link to the story.
news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090407/ap_on_bi_ge/general_motors_segway

And here is the proposed vehicle:
http://d.yimg.com/a/p/ap/20090407/capt.56b4519deec54f448a1ecfe4024452d7.general_motors_segway_nyjl202.jpg?x=400&y=257&q=85&sig=XXUzRdwKPHlBFAkJv26MgA--

Looks like a death trap to me. Imagine getting hit by an suv in one of those.

I pity all the rickshaw pullers it will put out of work. :smiley:

I would have to say its not for traffic areas. You wouldn’t last a week in a city in that thing!

NEW YORK – A solution to the world’s urban transportation problems could lie in two wheels not four, according to executives for General Motors Corp. and Segway Inc.

The underlying implication is “manditory useage”. Read between the lines, it is a “Solution”, if it is determined to be a viable solution then somebody in political power is going to determine that it needs to be imposed upon the public at large, especially in large metropolitan areas were congestion is rampant and polution is a problem. Besides, a new type vehicle of this sort will spon (sic) economic growth.:rolleyes: Watch the eviornmentalist jump all over this.:wink:

I expect the Greens will want to make this kind of thing mandatory, at least in cities. Whether they will get the single-party state which rules us to force it will be another question.

I trust they will not attempt to force this on the countryside, or the two-wheeler drivers and the Greenies will all starve to death.

This is nothing but a motorcycle for those who don’t want to straddle a bike.

Nobody has yet forced people to buy electric motorcycles and I see no reason to expect anybody will be forced to buy one of these.

Frankly, I’d rather have a motorcycle!

It’s all a PR gimmick. Segway doesn’t sell squate and is thrashing about for help. GM desperately needs some ‘green’ credentials and thinks this might be a cheap way to get some. A match made in PR heaven, but not a genuine business plan.

Edite: Oops, hit the quote key instead of edit!

I think this will be a very viable solution for those who have medium commutes - not long enough for a car but a bit too long for walking for those who may not have that ability.

If PUMA lanes were made available just as bike lanes are now that would certainly help.

As far as being hit by an SUV, I don’t see it as any more or less risk than someone on a bike or Vespa today.

Oh - and this is a PROTOTYPE - the finished product does have doors and is enclosed. They don’t expect this to be available for at least a couple years or more.

~Liza

I think its general shape would lend itself well to have the new “shell” fashioned in the form of a football helmet on two wheels, complete with face guard. Besides perhaps being safer, it would make make a hit at pregame tailgate parties if painted appropriately, despite its not having a tailgate of its own.

If some city council allows only such vehicles in town, then what are you going to do? London has virtually banned cars from downtown.

It’s a gimmick.

Here is your 2 wheel transportation.

Aaaahhhhh…but that’s the way to go…quick and painless!!!:stretcher:

Oh yeah, because GM has SO MUCH money and time to spend on gimmicks. :rolleyes:

~Liza

I see this as a real threat to the future employment of Rickshaw Pullers :eek:

This must be stopped.

The future of the Rickshaw is in peril and they need an advocacy group to speak up for them.

If not us, who?

If not now, when? :wink:

Incredible nonsense. General “Hi, we’re going bankrupt any second now” Motors wants to build this? Do they know they’ll even be around in the future?
Hint: Apparently, they do.

I’d rather ride around in a rubbermaid plastic container with two wheels. That way, if I get hit, at least the impact will deflect me to the side of the road.

Note to GM: Rain? Snow? Traction? Any thoughts?

Peace,
Ed

Some of you youngsters probably don’t remember this, but there was a gas powered car many years ago that almost looked like the segway. I was called an Isetta, and I think it was Italian made. It held two, was supposed to help the traffic problems of the 70s, but they never really caught on. It looked like a glorified golf cart. In some small towns around my area, they have approved golf carts for road use inside the town limits. Maybe thats the answer.

I think it looks like a tricked-out golf cart, and probably with the same level of safety…Roanoker

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.