Yes, this is grave matter. Which means it is a mortal sin if done with full knowledge and free will. This is a sin against the sixth commandment.
Unrepentent mortal sin separates us from God. Confession and repentance are always available. Therefore, no mortal sin sends us “straight to hell”. God is always waiting for us to come back to him.
You have allowed secular thinking-- which is not founded in fact or in the Truth of God-- to cloud your thinking on this issue. Just because some so-called professionals go around telling people it is “perfectly natural” does not mean that it is. Professionals also go around telling people abortion is “perfectly natural” and a “legitimate choice”. It does not make it true.
First, we always have a choice and God allows us free will. If you choose to separate yourself from God, he will allow that even though the consequences are eternal.
If you confessed your sin, then you are forgiven. No need for guilt. If you continue to commit this act over and over, I suggest that you seek some help and guidance from a priest, the organization www.dads.org, the organization www.pureloveclub.com or some other group. It’s a disordered view of sex, and rather than approaching it with “guilt” you should approach it from the fact that it is keeping you from a full expression of your sexuality as God intended you to express it because it is a self-seeking act rather than a life-giving shared act of spouses.
Don’t let this keep you away from God. God can heal and conquer all things.
Of course it does. It is a Truth of God, which does not change. God is eternal. However, it is no reason to stay away from the Church. Instead, embrace the Church and learn why this is a disordered use of the gift of sex.
Contraception has in fact increased abortion by increasing promiscuous sex over the last 40 years. Your idea that contraception “prevents” pregnancy is flawed. When two people engage in sex, a pregnancy is a natural outcome of that act. Sex is designed to result in pregnancy. When two people who are not in a position to accept or welcome a pregnancy have sex, they intend to prevent a pregnancy. But, that does not always happen. They attempt to twart the natural outcome. If they are unsuccessful, they use abortion as a back up. Before abortion was available, people thought twice about the possibility that their promiscuous sex could lead to pregnancy. Now they do not. In fact, when you review data **(information sheets filled out by women at the abortion clinic and reported to the CDC by law) **you find that only a very small group of less than 10% are aborting for what are called the “life threatening, rape, and incest” exceptions. That leaves 90% aborting for convenience– and the majority of women report on their forms that they were using contraception in the month they became pregnant. The evidence completely refutes what you have asserted here.
It isn’t contraception that will reduce abortion. It is abstaining from sex when you cannot welcome a child.
However, this is not the basis of the Church’s teaching that it is wrong. I recommend you get some literature on this subject, or start a thread or read through the numerous threads on why contraception is wrong and a violation of the sixth commandment.
No one should “chew you out” for asking honest questions. It is clear that you want to return to the church. I suggest that you DO return to the church. Go see a priest, go to Confession, and begin to learn what the Church teaches and why. You should study and search, but staying away from the Church is not the answer.