Go Longhorns

Any Longhorn fans out there?:D

hook em horns!! :D

[quote="Ralph4454, post:1, topic:182174"]
Any Longhorn fans out there?:D

[/quote]

There's me!!!!! BA 1992!!!!!!:) Hook em!!!

Class of '01!

Hook 'em horns!

I'm rooting for Texas tonight, even though I'm a Notre Dame fan. I don't like Alabama or Nick Saban, but more importantly, I have a lot of respect for Mack Brown, who weathered a lot of criticism before he finally won a national title. Nobody's paying attention to Texas, because they just got the job done without being flashy or having any dramatic finishes (other than the Big 12 title game). I think Colt McCoy (does anybody else think this is the perfect name for a Texas quarterback?) is due for a big-time breakout game, and I think Texas wins their second national championship this decade.

Go Texas!

I hope history repeats itself, Vince got robbed by not getting the heisman, Bush got it, we won. This year Colt got robbed, Ingram got it,…:rolleyes:

[quote="Ralph4454, post:6, topic:182174"]
I hope history repeats itself, Vince got robbed by not getting the heisman, Bush got it, we won. This year Colt got robbed, Ingram got it,...:rolleyes:

[/quote]

Ooh, I can't agree with you there on either count. Bush and Young deserved to be close, but you can't make an argument in either direction; both players left everybody watching the game thinking "He might run eighty yards for a touchdown RIGHT NOW!" I don't think Colt really deserved the Heisman, either. He was the best QB in the country, and he was good all season long, but I don't know if that makes him the best player in the country. My personal ranking was Ndomakong Suh, Toby Gerhart, and Mark Ingram, followed lots of really good players having really good years.

Unfortunately, no lineman or pure defensive player will ever win a Heisman; you have to be a freak of nature like Suh to even get considered, or return punts like Woodson to have a chance to win it.

Sigh… this is a terrible thread! :stuck_out_tongue:

ROLL TIDE!

:crying:

[quote="Ralph4454, post:9, topic:182174"]
:crying:

[/quote]

Crying already? You haven't even lost yet! ;)

:rolleyes:

In the last 10 months, the Longhorns have played for four national championships…Football, Volleyball, Baseball and Softball. As of this writing, the Longhorn Basketball team – as it heads into conference play --is ranked #2 in the nation with undefeated record. Great things are expected out of the Softball and Baseball teams again this year.

I attended the University in the late 80s and early 90s (B.A. 1990 and J.D. 1993). That was the Akers-McWilliams-Mackovic era. Those were the Dark Ages for Longhorn fans.

A couple of years ago, the Times of London ranked the University as the seventh best in the world. The University is in an elite class. Yeah, we lost a football championship game to the equivalent of Angelo State. However, in the big picture, Alabama can’t compete with us.

Now, this is a good time to be a Longhorn.

Get your 'Horns up!!!

[quote="PacoG, post:12, topic:182174"]
In the last 10 months, the Longhorns have played for four national championships....Football, Volleyball, Baseball and Softball. As of this writing, the Longhorn Basketball team -- as it heads into conference play --is ranked #2 in the nation with undefeated record. Great things are expected out of the Softball and Baseball teams again this year.

I attended the University in the late 80s and early 90s (B.A. 1990 and J.D. 1993). That was the Akers-McWilliams-Mackovic era. Those were the Dark Ages for Longhorn fans.

A couple of years ago, the Times of London ranked the University as the seventh best in the world. The University is in an elite class. Yeah, we lost a football championship game to the equivalent of Angelo State. However, in the big picture, Alabama can't compete with us.

Now, this is a good time to be a Longhorn.

Get your 'Horns up!!!!

[/quote]

Ok... as a graduate and instructor at the University of Alabama, I feel I have to stand up to your comments here. First, let me take nothing away from Texas. It is a fine institution, and one that I considered attending. It has perhaps the best Latin American History program in the entire US, and it is at a slightly higher tier academically than Alabama in certain programs. That said, Alabama is a fine institution in its own right, and it's at a higher tier than Texas in certain programs as well.

With regard to sports, Alabama now has THIRTEEN national championships in football, and is one of the greatest and most storied football programs of all time. It has been to more bowl games and WON more bowl games than ANY other team in college football. It routinely sends its basketball team to the NCAA playoffs. It's baseball team has gone to the final eight in three of the last ten years. It's gymnastics team is one of the two best programs in the nation (Georgia being the other). Alabama has excelled in MOST of the sports it participates in.

Alabama also has one of the best public law schools in the nation, routinely attracting top students, and even featuring routine guest lectures by members of the US Supreme Court. It's business school has been ranked as high as #4 in the nation. Most of its other programs rank in the top 50 of American colleges and universities. It is routinely ranked as one of the best deals in public education.

I can hardly see how you can compare Alabama to Angelo State, either in athletics OR in academics. Also, Angelo State only has about 6,300 students. Alabama has over 28,000. I'd say we're competing quite nicely, thank you! :rolleyes:

By the way, didn't my undergraduate Alma Mater, Iowa State, actually BEAT Nebraska this year? :D

Ick. This thread got kinda ugly. There’s no need to bash on Alabama because we lost the national championship. Congratulations on a good game and your championship Crimson Tide. The second half sure was exciting! Hopefully we’ll see you next year for a rematch. :thumbsup:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.