Go seee your priest! UUGG!

Wasn’t sure what category to put this in so I chose this one because it’s about holy orders and I seen the word abuses on the liturgy forums. Just wondering if anyone out there feels the same way I do everytime they hear on Catholic Answers Live or read on these forums to go see your priest to get the answer. I litterally just quinch inside. Please don’t judge me or get mad at me I’m just making an observation.I live in the west and I can only go by what I see and hear from other priest. I’m on so many different committee’s I have to deal with every priest in our Diocese. Did the same in another Diocese that I moved from. Let me tell you, you are not going to get the correct orthodox answer from almost every priest I have come in contact with. Weather it be, Is contraception wrong? or Can I go to communion even though I’ve been married and divorced three times and many other subjects. I realize they have to say go see your priest because there are somethings they can’t deal with on the air. Does any one else see this or it it locally in my area.

I think the issue is that people are probably asking questions that have specific answers based on their particular set of circumstances. This is especially true of marriage and annulment questions.
I’m also sure that whatever your dealings with particular priests may be, they weren’t unorthodox on every issue. Perhaps on this or that issue they’re not “up to speed” but I’d bet that the majority of the time they know what they’re talking about.

Agreed
Most of the time when I recommend going to a priest it is either related to a confession question or someine interested in joining the Church.
When a specific sin is in question, paricularly as relating to whether it is mortal of venial, there are are any number fo specifics that might need to be considered.

As to the OP’s concern about the orthodoxy of the clergy, yes this is a problem. One that needs to be addressed not only by the church heirarchy but from the pews as well. When priests (and even bishops) are promoting things contrary to the Magisterium they need to be called on it.
That said however, Christ told us in Mt 18:15-18 to “tell it to the church” when there is an issue, and the first level in that church is our parish priest. Christ also told the disciples in Mt 23: 2-3 to obey the scribes and pharasees becuase they "sit on Moses seat’. We know how Jesus felt about some of the teachings of these leaders and yet the disicples were told to be obedient. Our Priests likewise are in a position of authority over us even though they too are fallible.
If a person, is given bad advice by their priest and acts on it in good faith, the sin is not on the one who acted in good faith and obedience, but on the priest who gave the bad advice.

Peace
James

I agree with you JRKH. Priests teaching hetrodoxy need to be called on it.

Part of the problem is that many of the laity do not really know what is orthodox. They have a view of what they think orthodoxy is but are not always correct.

We can see that evidenced here. It has been suggested that priests who are not in their collars 24/7 are in someway not orthodox among other things.

There is a lot in the faith were we are free to have disagreements but some feel that if a priest has a view different than theirs then they are not orthodox.

When calling a priest on this it is necessary to have documents that support your position. If you have proper support and the priest still will not listen then it is time to take it to the bishop.

I have never found it unusual. I live in South Dakota and all the priests I know are very conservative and will tell you the answer as the Catechism would. I have never gotten answers different than what expected.

be that as it may, just because some priests dissent and give wrong teaching and damaging pastoral care, the fact remains one’s parish priest is the cure of one’s soul and the first person one should ask for help or referral to help elsewhere in the diocese. What would be your alternative?

relating specifically to liturgical abuse there is a protocol to follow and it begins by simply asking the priest involved the reasons for action or practice. I can guarantee that if you go over the pastor’s head to the vicar general, vicar for priests, or bishop’s office on a liturgical abuse claim without taking this first step the complaint will be bounced back right back to the pastor.

I am not of course speaking of sexual or other abuse claims. There is also a protocol for such complaints in place in every diocese. The first contact is usually the vicar general or the ombudsman that has been appointed to investigate such allegations. the diocesan website should have that contact information.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.