God and Antidepressants

If God (supposedly) “heals the broken-hearted and binds up their wounds” then why do we need anti-depressants? Shouldn’t prayer, going to church and being charitable be enough for healing?

And before anyone says “well maybe he heals through antidepressants” or “antidepressants are the way he heals people” consider this: many mass shootings that have happened over the years were committed by people ON anti-depressants. And that doesn’t take into account all the side-effects they produce either. It seems to be antidepressants are just one more evil God allows…

Why do we utilize medical science at all? No need for medication or procedures! Skip the testing and diagnosis! :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

You’re obviously trying to make a case against psychiatric medicine. Well, you’re wrong and should follow the advice of your Doctor or get another qualified medical opinion.

Well, the ‘chemical imbalance’ theory has NEVER been proven. Besides, most antidepressants have been show to be ineffective or they eventually stop working. And besides, if they’re so good at ‘healing’ people why are there so many side effects including depression, suicide, aggression, etc.

Maybe you are confusing sadness with clinical depression.

Maybe, but I don’t know how much of a differences there is, really. If someone is constantly sad they get told they need antidepressants and they have to take them for life. But again, if ‘God heals the broken-hearted and binds up their wounds’ why would we have a need for antidepressants?

I know several people who took antidepressants and didn’t like them, and maybe never should have taken them. But without taking them, they never would have known what effect the antidepressant had on them.

I think doctors have overprescribed antidepressants, and they probably still do. There is a lot of sadness in the world that’s not caused by “chemical imbalances”, but people still try to use antidepressants to treat it. The results vary.

It’s okay to be concerned about mood altering prescriptions. They are powerful. They are good for managing major mental illnesses - but lesser disorders/illnesses, even temporary ones, can have a greater variety of causes from biological to circumstantial that make prescribing those drugs more of a risk to someone where they could do more harm than good.

Major mental illness medication is very effective in me (anti-psychotic), I believe God placed these doctors in my life to eventually heal me.

2 seperate and very different arguments you have there

This topic was automatically closed after 44 hours. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.