God and His Spirit in Genesis 1:1-2

Hello,
I would like to know your opinions about the first 2 verses of Genesis, Where God creates and the Spirit of God is quietly resting on the waters :wink:

IN the beginning God created heaven, and earth. 2 And the earth was void and empty, and darkness was upon the face of the deep; and the spirit of God moved over the waters. ((… 3 And God said: Be light made. And light was made… ))

As Christians, may this be a first appearence of 2 Persons of God? Or is it like “a great wind” in hebrew and should be only seen as such.

What is the Jewish point of view? Because for me, As in the Gospel, “The Word was with Godand the Word was God”, The Spirit of God was with God, and was God.

SInce Yahweh is One, why is it said that His Spirit was “elsewhere” or “outside” of him (and I know it is not really the case, because there was nothing, but in the text, God and His Spirit are 2).

Thank you for your thoughts!

God’s breath “moved over the waters” as he spoke the creative words.

Notice, though, the description of the Pentecost event – it was a sound like a “mighty wind” there, and we know that it was the Spirit that came down on the apostles and the Church that day!

So, yes – I would say that we definitely see the Father and the Spirit in Genesis 1. Moreover, when viewed in conjunction with John 1 (“In the beginning was the Word… He was in the beginning with God, and all things were made through Him”), we see that the Holy Trinity was present in its entirety at the Creation!

This I won’t doubt. :smiley:

For a jewish person, what could this mean, that the Spirit “was there with God”?

It didn’t occur to me that the Spirit might have rested on the waters. I think of moving over the waters as blessing, caressing, stirring, maybe preparing the waters.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.