God and Whoopie Cushions

I think that humor can play an integral part in understanding and defining our relationship with God. It allows you to look at things you might otherise feel uncomfortable about, it is a method with which to come to temrs with things that one does not understand, and it can help break down barries between people. And when barries between neigobors come down, I think barriers between people and God come down as well.

You and “the God Squad” – Rabbi Marc Gellman and Msgr. Thomas Hartman. Do you know them? They are the co-authors of Religion for Dummies, aimed at fostering understanding among people across the religious spectrum.

Man! You put a whoopee cushion under me and you are in BIIIGGGG T-R-O-U-B-L-E!

/Agreed

I suggest reading ‘Gospel of the Flying Speghetti Mosnter’. Its a hilarious paradoy of Intelligent Design, and to a lesser extend a joke religion. Even if its a bit sacraligious, it is hilarious and does pose some interesting question :smiley:

Quote: “Holy War- A war fought over who has the better invisible friend” lol

Read The Book of Zelph. It is an hilarious and irreverent telling of the Book of Mormon story from the Lamanite point of view. If you are ex-Mormon, or Mormon with a sense of humor, you will laugh yourself silly over this book. It is downloadable for free or you can read it online.

God bless,
Paul

I’ve heard of the book. I’ll check 'em out.

The book is actually pretty serious. But Gellman is a regular comedian in person. They’re a great team.

I don’t find anything humorous about Catholisism.
I don’t get this thread either.

Valke2 – have you checked out the thread “You know you’re Catholic if . . .” (or something like that)? If you were Catholic (maybe even if you’re not), you would get a lot of laughs out of it.

On a similar thread, because the Eastern Churches (Byzantine and other Eastern Rites of the Catholic Church) have elaborate liturgies and often repeat things 33 or more times, one guy wrote:

You know you’re Byzantine Catholic if your bumper sticker says, “Honk a hundred times if you love Jesus!”

It’s why I love the “Life of Brian” so much

A good old laugh at ourselves, and also makes non-Christians hear the word of Jesus without them realising

Whoopee cushions? I don’t need no steenkin’ whoopee cushions. I usually make my own whoopee cushions.

DaveBj

you perfectionist, you.

good point.

I still love Monty Python’s The Holy Grail…

A Reading from the Book of Armaments, Chapter 4, Verses 16 to 20:

Then did he raise on high the Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch, saying, “Bless this, O Lord, that with it thou mayst blow thine enemies to tiny bits, in thy mercy.”

And the people did rejoice and did feast upon the lambs and toads and tree-sloths and fruit-bats and orangutans and breakfast cereals…

Now did the Lord say, “First thou pullest the Holy Pin. Then thou must count to three. Three shall be the number of the counting and the number of the counting shall be three. Four shalt thou not count, neither shalt thou count two, excepting that thou then proceedeth to three. Five is right out. Once the number three, being the number of the counting, be reached, then lobbest thou the Holy Hand Grenade in the direction of thine foe, who, being naughty in my sight, shall snuff it.”

– Monty Python, “Monty Python and the Holy Grail”

Two excellent reasons to stay out of it.

JSA

Three-year-old Katie was taken to her pediatrician during a recent bout with the flu. As the doctor peered into her ears, he asked, “Is that Mickey Mouse in your ears?”

Katie, not a huge fan of Mickey Mouse, replied, “No.”

Undaunted, the pediatrician looked down her throat and asked, “Is that Donald Duck in your throat?”

Again, “No.”

A little frustrated at Katie’s lack of appreciation for his cartoon characters, he listened to her heart and asked, “Is that Barney I hear in your heart?”

Katie, a little exasperated by the antics of the doctor, looked him straight in the eye and explained, “No! Jesus is in my heart. Barney is on my underwear!”

A priest, a minister and a rabbi were out on the golf course . . .

OK: next person take over.

Y’all heard my Rabbi’s PMR shipwrecked in the Indian Ocean joke, right?

Jesse was standing in the hallway of the synagouge looking at a plaque memoralizing local war veterans.

“Why are all those people on the wall, dad?” he asked.

“Those are the people who died in the Service,” his dad said.

“Which one, Rosh Hashana or Yom Kippur?” asked Jimmy.

///

NOTE: For those who don’t know, those services are quite long.

:rotfl: :rotfl:
Every year, where I work, we put the Rabbi on life support for two days afterwards!

Whoopee cushions? That’s so 20th century! My kids gave me an electronic device with a remote control that generates 5 different disgusting “whoopee cushion” type sounds. It’s endless fun to hide it under the sofa and sit across the room with the remote at family gatherings…

Okay, this one is a true story (I thought it was funny):

One evening during RCIA (my DH was a candidate and I was his sponsor) the Bible reading being discussed was John 8:1-11. Here it is:

1 while Jesus went to the Mount of Olives.
2 But early in the morning he arrived again in the temple area, and all the people started coming to him, and he sat down and taught them.
3 Then the scribes and the Pharisees brought a woman who had been caught in adultery and made her stand in the middle.
4 They said to him, "Teacher, this woman was caught in the very act of committing adultery.
5 Now in the law, Moses commanded us to stone such women. So what do you say?"
6 They said this to test him, so that they could have some charge to bring against him. Jesus bent down and began to write on the ground with his finger.
7 But when they continued asking him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let the one among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her."
8 Again he bent down and wrote on the ground.
9 And in response, they went away one by one, beginning with the elders. So he was left alone with the woman before him.
10 Then Jesus straightened up and said to her, "Woman, where are they? Has no one condemned you?"
11 She replied, “No one, sir.” Then Jesus said, “Neither do I condemn you. Go, (and) from now on do not sin any more.”

The priest asked what Jesus could have possibly been writing on the ground, and without missing a beat my DH says, “Jesus wuz here!”

I don’t see how he made it to Easter Vigil without being kicked out!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.