God Can Use Us All

Yesterday one of our local priests used this in his homily. I thought it was great, so I went home and looked it up. There are various versions on line, I made this one from putting a couple versions together as it’s fairly close to what the priest read.

GOD CAN USE US ALL

If you think you are not worthy and useless to God, consider the people in the Bible.

Noah was a drunk.
Abraham was too old.
Jacob was a liar who conspired with his mother to deceive his elderly blind father.
Leah was unattractive.
Joseph was abused by his own brothers.
Judah abused his brother Joseph out of jealousy, and came up with the idea of secretly selling him into slavery to get rid of him.
Moses had a stuttering problem and a short fuse.
Miriam was a gossip and a buttinsky.
Gideon was afraid.
Samson had long hair and was a womanizer.
Rahab was a prostitute.
Jeremiah was too young.
Amos was a poor shepherd and fig-tree pruner.
Hosea married an unfaithful wife who became a prostitute.
David was an adulterer and murderer, and the head of a seriously dysfunctional family.
Solomon was way too rich, and was also a womanizer of epic proportions.
Elijah was depressed and suicidal.
Jonah ran away from God.
Job was a bankrupt and a total failure.
Naomi was an unhappy widow.
Martha was too busy and was a worry-wart.
Her sister Mary may have been lazy.
The Samaritan woman at the well had five husbands, multiple divorces and was living with a man she wasn’t married to.
Matthew was a tax collector.
Zacchaeus was also a tax collector, and was too short.
Mary Magdalene was demon-possessed.
Andrew lived in the shadow of his brother Peter.
Peter was afraid of death and denied Jesus.
Peter, James and John fell asleep when Jesus had asked them to pray with Him.
All Jesus’ disciples ran away out of fear when He was arrested.
Dismas was an admitted thief and criminal who got the death penalty.
Joseph of Arimathea was too rich.
Nicodemus was a Pharisee and hung around all day with people who plotted to kill Jesus.
Thomas doubted God.
Paul was too religious, and helped arrest and murder Christians because he considered them heretics.
Timothy had an ulcer.
Lazarus was dead.

Yet God was able to use all these people for his purposes, despite their problems and flaws.
God can use you too!

10 Likes

AMEN! God knows our flaws , He made us. We ALL have a place and a purpose in the Church and in the world.

3 Likes

I’ll concede that Rachel was likely more attractive but I don’t think it can be inferred that Leah was ugly.

It’s debatable, I agree. But in any event she did not have anyone beating down the door to marry her. Her parents basically had to get her married off by deception.

Edited to add, I changed it to “unattractive” although the priest in his homily actually read it as “Leah was ugly.”

God has and will use us in ways we don’t even know. In every walk of life, no matter what we do, God will give us the blessing to reach out to others, To help those less fortunate, to give to those who are spiritually bankrupt, to love those who have been abandoned. For if we love God and feel that love in our hearts’ we will radiate that Love and share it with our brothers and sisters. God Bless.::butterfly::butterfly:

3 Likes

Whats wrong with Samson’s long hair?

1 Like

Given that I routinely hang around with guys whose hair is longer than mine, and mine is about a foot long, I would say, Nothing.
Some people would say, Everything :slight_smile:

1 Like

Fair enough :slight_smile:

(16 character add on)

One of the guys at work has a beautifully long pony tail. It goes well with him. Another shaves his head. Works for him.

Some of the women have long waist length hair. A couple have very short hair.

I’d agree with tisbearself. Some are going to say there’s nothing wrong with others don’t think it’s appropriate. I don’t think there’s anything wrong with it.

Now, if there’s spiders and bugs crawling in there, that’s a different story.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.