God has a plan for your life

I often wonder if it's true that God has a plan for everyone's life.
Is it possible that his plan is only for special people?
I hear this so much from from the pulpits, both Catholic and Protestant, books videos,EWTN,TV etc, that it has become a mantra.
People can spend a whole lifetime waiting to hear the voice of God telling them what to do with their life, only to realize, they "waited for their ship to come in, but missed the boat."
How many of you on this forum, can actually say the vocation you have chosen was from God?
I know you should pray and listen to that small 'still voice', or whatever, but in my case God is wearing a Boss headset.
I'm 70 years old, how much time do I have?

How many of you on this forum, can actually say the vocation you have chosen was from God?

With absolute certainty, you mean? I doubt whether any living person can. That’s part of the fun of being a fallible being in a complicated and interesting world, isn’t it?

But perhaps, it’s not all that important whether we realize the details of God’s plan for our life, as long as we can trust that there is one and do our best not to go against it: if one does his or her best to follow His plan, even his or her lack of knowledge about the nature of this plan is not going to hold him or her back.

And hey, in any case it’s not like any of our puny human brains can really understand the exact implications of God’s plan for us… :smiley:

I’m 70 years old, how much time do I have?

No idea, but I bet that it is precisely as much as you need :wink:

Yes, I believe my life is a vocation, guided by God. I’m only 25, but I can already see many, many ways by which God worked in my life. A lot of times, we can’t see it while it’s happening. We can only see these things in hindsight, through the eyes of faith.

You have lived 70 years–an impressive amount of time. Surely you don’t think that nothing happened in your life? Is it because you felt called to something that never worked out? Or did you never really feel called to anything?

We can only ever be sure of one thing: God is calling us to come to Heaven with Him someday. And He would like us to help bring the people around us there too, to the best of our ability… Even if that means just showing people kindness and an example of a faithful, God-centered life. If you think God didn’t call you to anything great, please reconsider in light of the greatest thing of all anyone could be called to: Heaven! Our life here only really matters if that is our goal.

[quote="kristleful, post:3, topic:227223"]
Yes, I believe my life is a vocation, guided by God. I'm only 25, but I can already see many, many ways by which God worked in my life. A lot of times, we can't see it while it's happening. We can only see these things in hindsight, through the eyes of faith.

You have lived 70 years--an impressive amount of time. Surely you don't think that nothing happened in your life? Is it because you felt called to something that never worked out? Or did you never really feel called to anything?

We can only ever be sure of one thing: God is calling us to come to Heaven with Him someday. And He would like us to help bring the people around us there too, to the best of our ability... Even if that means just showing people kindness and an example of a faithful, God-centered life. If you think God didn't call you to anything great, please reconsider in light of the greatest thing of all anyone could be called to: Heaven! Our life here only really matters if that is our goal.

[/quote]

Thanks.

Hey tgm, I’m in the same boat you are. I’m not that much ‘younger’ than you, and I still don’t have the foggiest notion as what God wants me to do with my life, either!

I’m single ‘by default’-not much else in the way of ‘vocation’. Didn’t want to get married. and I couldn’t be a religious. 'Been there, done that with Third Orders–they didn’t work out.

I live a very humble, hidden life–I don’t get involved in activities. I’m solitary-by both choice and circumstance. What things I do I do alone.

Don’t have very many ‘friends’–they’re mostly married, so they’re involved with their families. I have one really good friend, but he lives overseas. I only have contact with him by letters and/or postcards and the occasional phone call.

‘God has a plan for your life’? Yeah, that’s laugh [sarcasm]…:frowning: :rolleyes::

I don’t think that most of us will understand God’s plan for us until after we die. I’ve always imagined that it will be like seeing a movie of our life. We will see how each choice we made either helped or hurt someone else, or brought us closer or farther away from God. I think that all we can pray for is for the Grace to show Christ to the world by how we love. Who’s to say that just because we weren’t famous or a Saint, that we didn’t touch one life that then went on to touch thousands more?

I believe God has a plan in everyone's life, young and old. Everyone has a different vocation and a different role to play in God's plan. I feel like God is calling me to the priesthood and so I'm now following that call with faith in His divine plan. I think the easiest way to hear God's voice is to be at peace in your soul by knowing His Will is our sanctification, and so unifying our will with His is our constant vocation. God bless you.

www.marabba.org

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.