"...God has established only one enmity..."

1. God has established only one enmity - but it is an irreconcilable one - which will last and even go on increasing to the end of time. That enmity is between Mary, his worthy Mother, and the devil, between the children and the servants of the Blessed Virgin and the children and followers of Lucifer.

Thus the most fearful enemy that God has set up against the devil is Mary, his holy Mother. From the time of the earthly paradise, although she existed then only in his mind, he gave her such a hatred for his accursed enemy, such ingenuity in exposing the wickedness of the ancient serpent and such power to defeat, overthrow and crush this proud rebel, that Satan fears her not only more than angels and men but in a certain sense more than God himself. This does not mean that the anger, hatred and power of God are not infinitely greater than the Blessed Virgin’s, since her attributes are limited. It simply means that Satan, being so proud, suffers infinitely more in being vanquished and punished by a lowly and humble servant of God, for her humility humiliates him more than the power of God. Moreover, God has given Mary such great power over the evil spirits that, as they have often been forced unwillingly to admit through the lips of possessed persons, they fear one of her pleadings for a soul more than the prayers of all the saints, and one of her threats more than all their other torments…

The above quote as some may recognize is taken from the words of St. Louis de Montfort in his classic treatise on “True Devotion to the Blessed Virgin Mary”. The Mother of God has been not only ignored by some, but has been ridiculed and blasphemed by many nonCatholics and yet too few Catholics seem to defend her in public. Few, it seems are hearing Jesus’ Words from His Cross to John and to us as members of God’s Family, His Church: “Behold Your Mother”.

If you have never read this little treatise, I encourage you to read it. If you tried to read it and became discouraged by your own lack of understanding and did not persevere – whatever the reasons, I ask you to pray for the grace to read it until you hear as Saints JPII and St. Teresa of Calcutta and Servant of God Frank Duff heard God’s Truth!

For all three of them this book was a Blessing and their lives attest to the “great things” God did through them as God did through our humble and holy Mother Mary. I’d be grateful to hear from anyone who has read or who wants to read this gem of a spiritual classic either for the first time or who desires to read it again.

Come Holy Spirit, fill the hearts of Your faithful. Kindle in us, the Fire of Your Love.
Jesus, I trust in You. Immaculate Heart of Mary, Mother of the Church, pray for us.

Dear All,

Thanks to a dear sister who responded in an e-mail that she is “hearing” much more, in re-reading St. Louis De Montfort’s"True Devotion". In fact, she shared with me that she had been reading the very same paragraph that I posted yesterday. That was significant to me because I believe it is important for us to learn from all that God permits in our lives and in the Church, especially.

The present scandals of clergy abuse and “cover-up” weighs heavily on the hearts of those who love the Lord and mourn with Him over the sins of all He came to save. As I read this morning’s Gospel I was blessed in seeing the beautiful “pity” of Jesus as He raised from the dead, the only son of the widow in Nain. Mary like that widow would see her only son die, and it seems to me Jesus saw in that widow of Nain, His own Mother, whom He would give to us from His Cross to be our Mother and Model.

How foolish we are if we neglect our Mother Mary! I again, would encourage anyone reading this thread, if you have read and been blessed by reading St. Louis De Montfort’s treatise on “True Devotion to the Blessed Virgin” to share your blessing with me and others on this Forum. If you have never read this little gem of a book, or started and didn’t finish it, or read but didn’t understand much, I encourage you to begin today and read it online HERE, or purchase a paperback copy so you can underline and highlight passages which touch your heart.

Come Holy Spirit kindle in us the Fire of Your Love. Jesus, I trust in You! Mary, Mother and Model of the Church, pray for us.

Thanks dear ahmed, for your reply. Can you tell me what made it a “great” thread for you, as you said?

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.