GOD IN AMERICA on PBS

PBS is presenting GOD IN AMERICA. The second part is on tonight. Very interesting and beautifully done. Worth watching. Last night, the end part was on Catholics focusing on Bishop Hughes of NYC. Up until that time, the Bible was used in public schools. With the influx of Catholics, it became an issue as some of the books contained anti-Catholic remarks. Who knew?

Explains how the separation of Church and state came about. All thanks to Thomas Jefferson.

Like to hear what others who may have watched it think.

PBS is talking about God?

YES IT IS!! :clapping:

The photograpy is beautiful. Is worth watching. :popcorn:

[quote="aicirt, post:1, topic:215829"]
PBS is presenting GOD IN AMERICA. The second part is on tonight. Very interesting and beautifully done. Worth watching. Last night, the end part was on Catholics focusing on Bishop Hughes of NYC. Up until that time, the Bible was used in public schools. With the influx of Catholics, it became an issue as some of the books contained anti-Catholic remarks. Who knew?

Explains how the separation of Church and state came about. All thanks to Thomas Jefferson.

Like to hear what others who may have watched it think.

[/quote]

they playing part 1 tonight or just part 2?

Part II tonight. Google PBS and see if they're doing an encore of Part I. Hope so. I'd like to see it again.

In part one, it discussed Findley hearing about a camp meeting in Kentucky. This was the wilderness in the early 1800s. So he goes to see what's going on. There's 20,000 people there all listening to different preachers who are elevated on preaching stands. This was about the Holy Spirit filling you so people are crying, and singing God's praises and there's the candle lights blinking in the darkness. It had to be something to see. As the narrator explained, most had never seen so many people gathered in one place. Had to be something. These 20,000 go home and spread the word and soon there are meetings all over the wilderness, through the south and up through New England. Findley was converted and became a Methodist preacher.

This is a description from a PBS press release:

GOD IN AMERICA, a six-hour documentary series from AMERICAN EXPERIENCE and FRONTLINE, targeted to air in fall 2010 on PBS, will tell the sweeping and dramatic story of religious life in America, examining more than 500 years of American religious history from the voyage of Christopher Columbus to the 2008 presidential election. GOD IN AMERICA will examine this history as it has played out in public life, exploring the complex interaction between religion and democracy in the United States; the origins of the American concept of religious liberty; the dynamics of the ever-evolving American religious marketplace; and the vital role played by religious ideas and institutions in many social reform movements in the country’s history.

pbs.org/aboutpbs/news/20090802_pbsreligion.html

The press release also mentions two other religion related documentaries, one dealing with the Buddha and another on the experiences of eight individuals of different faiths as they prepare to join the clergy:

THE CALLING, from independent producer Danny Alpert, The Kindling Group, is a four-hour documentary series that follows eight individuals on their dramatic journey into the clergy from the perspective of different faiths — Islam, Catholicism, Evangelical Christianity and Judaism. A new look at an old job, religious leadership, the series takes viewers into the unknown world of seminaries to tell the compelling stories of young, dynamic and thoughtful subjects, all of whom struggle to balance religious convictions, rigorous academics, personal relationships, dedication to lifelong service — and occasional spells of ambivalence and uncertainty. The resulting portraits provide a rich, nuanced portrayal of faith in America. THE CALLING will air in 2010 (season TBD) on PBS.

Here is the website for the PBS documentary God in America. You can watch the whole thing online, if you missed the first installment (or can't want to see the rest of it.) :)
pbs.org/godinamerica/

[quote="Dale_M, post:7, topic:215829"]
Here is the website for the PBS documentary God in America. You can watch the whole thing online, if you missed the first installment (or can't want to see the rest of it.) :)
pbs.org/godinamerica/

[/quote]

THANK YOU!! Will watch it and make note of the other shows coming up.:thumbsup:

It is pretty good, not terribly deep.
E.g., the episode about Cardinal Hughes seeking public schools for Catholic students was portray a triumph as if "we cool, we gave Catholics equal rights". No mention of No-Nothings of same struggles over and over.

I'm am going to check some of the reading.

Did you watch the one last night? Goes up through Obama.

I was interested in how the other denominations of Protestants came about. Thought that was informative.

I didn't know about Hughes. I am assuming his fighted ended with Catholics establishing their own schools and doing an excellent job with it. Think that could have been addressed.

[quote="aicirt, post:10, topic:215829"]
Did you watch the one last night? Goes up through Obama.

I was interested in how the other denominations of Protestants came about. Thought that was informative.

I didn't know about Hughes. I am assuming his fighted ended with Catholics establishing their own schools and doing an excellent job with it. Think that could have been addressed.

[/quote]

No, I saw the 1st three episodes.
Not knocking the Bishop Hughes story just they had to do with that which was really a much really larger story.

I will watch the whole series. It seems how it will turn out that was the most religious society ever somehow became secular/indifferentist.

I watched the last two episodes. The title should have been: "Protestians in America"

I found it to be more a documentry on Protestism in America, and a focused one (on Protestism & Politics) than an actual story on God in America. This is ok, I've come to expect these things from PBS. It was factual and pretty non-biased, but as a Catholic, I was disappointed by the lack of any mention of my Church. They also basically skipped the LDS in the episodes I watched. Furthermore (last point) I was confused why they included the Reformed Jewish part in there, not by it being there, but not following up on it.

Be a good series for EWTN to do. Do an in depth report on Bishop Hughes and how the Catholic school system started. Good do a profile on each and every order of nuns too. I'd like to see that.

I watched it all online at pbs.org/godinamerica

It was very interesting to see how so many protestant denominations came about throughout American history. So many had different thoughts on interpreting scripture and what God would want for moral issues like slavery that they continually divided. It may have been better to be titled "Religion in America" or "The Division of Religion in America.":p The prejudice of Protestants towards the Catholic Irish immigrants was pretty explicit: Satan (Catholics) had been let loose in Eden (America).

I didn't realize Judiasm had a Reformation in America. Did they reform and become "modern" in other countries as well? The 'Unkosher Meal' was repulsive, an insult to the traditional Jewish community.

What do you suppose the narrator meant in the last hour when he said the Catholic Church in the US had to adapt Mexican Catholic rituals? It was a single sentence, and he didn't specify.

[quote="flatlanderjenn, post:14, topic:215829"]
I watched it all online at pbs.org/godinamerica

It was very interesting to see how so many protestant denominations came about throughout American history. So many had different thoughts on interpreting scripture and what God would want for moral issues like slavery that they continually divided. It may have been better to be titled "Religion in America" or "The Division of Religion in America.":p The prejudice of Protestants towards the Catholic Irish immigrants was pretty explicit: Satan (Catholics) had been let loose in Eden (America).

I didn't realize Judiasm had a Reformation in America. Did they reform and become "modern" in other countries as well? The 'Unkosher Meal' was repulsive, an insult to the traditional Jewish community.

What do you suppose the narrator meant in the last hour when he said the Catholic Church in the US had to adapt Mexican Catholic rituals? It was a single sentence, and he didn't specify.

[/quote]

There was a lot of prejudice the other way too. Nuns in school were not happy that two of us girls entered the Episcopal Church down the street. Wanted to see what it looked like. Part of my family were Methodist and Episcopalian. They were deligent when we visited always making sure that we got to Church and always had fish for us on Fridays. In the 60s, you were not allowed to be a bridesmaid in a non-Catholic wedding. Things have changed.
I believe the Reform rabbi was trying to make the point that there weren't any restrictions in the Torah re. eating meat and dairy together or at the same meal, nor was there a restriction in the Torah re. shellfish. So....enjoy.

I don't think the narrator "gets" it. Mexican Catholicism is same as any. We know their rituals because they're ours and we'd participate in them in Mexico but here we do same but maybe in a quieter way.

Glen Beck was talking about the secular religion of earth worship infiltrating the Churches. He's right. George Soros is behind it. Apparently, there is a move on to "green" the churches.....solar energy etc. Okay, that may be fine but the main thing is to remember that in God's plan, the earth and its animals and plants serve us and not the other way around. This will be our battle today.

It was a typical PBS secular documentary (at least the 2 hour part I saw). How in the world do you talk about religious ideas and their impact without featuring several priests/reverends/preachers to discuss theological implications? You can't unless you want to paint everything using a secular tool kit and focus on religion as a function of control, which was one of the main points in the film. Theology and it's interplay with society/politics matters.

It's quite ironic since the academics helping make the film are the first to criticize interpreting history through a single lens.

If I did an exploration of Islamic impact, I would have some Imams as guests to explain their views of the matter.

What's particularly sad is that so many people will watch this and view it as the definitive history of religion and its interplay with the development of the country.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.