God is a man' Thats why we call him Father, sin't it?

as a long standing Fan of Mother anegelica, I gather that Gdo was a man. It seemed logical enough, we call God FAther, and and of course Jesus is a man (and he most certainlly was and si) and so the HOly Spriit must also be a man, since he is one with the father and the son.

I heard my sister tell me about a Religious taht said that God ahs no real sex because he si not a person, he’s jsut “there.” But God is three persons in one, in one as the dogma of the trenity expalsn. am I right, or am I wwrong? please, someone expaln!

Technically your sister is correct. Sex (male or female) is for material beings. God is pure spirit so He has no sex. Same with angels. When He became incarnate, He came as a man, Jesus. Jesus also says to call God, Father, so that’s why we describe Him with masculine terms. :thumbsup:

[quote=Emly]as a long standing Fan of Mother anegelica, I gather that Gdo was a man. It seemed logical enough, we call God FAther, and and of course Jesus is a man (and he most certainlly was and si) and so the HOly Spriit must also be a man, since he is one with the father and the son.
[/quote]

I’m afraid you are confused here. God is NOT a man. God the Father is spirit not flesh and bone. Only Jesus, the Son of God, was both God and man. The Holy Spirit is also spirit not man.

I heard my sister tell me about a Religious taht said that God ahs no real sex because he si not a person, he’s jsut “there.” But God is three persons in one, in one as the dogma of the trenity expalsn. am I right, or am I wwrong? please, someone expaln!

Both God the Father and God the Holy Spirit are Persons, but a person doesn’t have to be a man. The angels are persons, too but they are not men but spirits.

[font=&quot][font=Comic Sans MS] God is neither male nor female. God is a pure spirit. (CCC 370) However, Jesus taught us to pray to God as “Father”. I believe the reason is this: God is the source of all creation. Woman gives birth to a child, however, a man implants the sperm in the woman. Thus man is the source. In the very first book of the Bible, God reveals himself as “He”. Genesis 1:27 “God created man in his image; in the divine image he created him*; male and female he created them*” Now, there is a feminist movement to remove all masculine pronouns referring to God and emasculate God. They just want to insert “God” in place of “He” or “Him”.
[/font][/font][font=Comic Sans MS]Oh, and another thing

[/font]as a long standing Fan of Mother anegelica, I gather that Gdo was a man

[font=Comic Sans MS]We can’t referred to God in the past tense “was”. God IS the same, yesterday, today, and tomorrow. [/font]

1. The reason for calling God Father is twofold. 1. Beause Jesus
    reveals God and He called Him Father. That’s the short and sweet
    version. 2. The more detailed version: God is present to the world
    in transcendence and immanence. Transcendence is a reference to His
    superiority over the world, His standing over and above His creation.
    Immanence refers to God’s closeness to creation, His being a part of
    it. Now God is both transcendent and immanent with His creation but
    clearly His transcendence is greater. You wouldn’t want to emphasize
    His immanence because that would basically lead to paganism. We
    emphasize God’s transcendence because He is much, much greater than
    His creation and in fact cannot be compared to it. When we look at
    masculine and feminine we note that the masculine transcends his
    creation. The Father gives his seed and then stands back over and
    above and separate from his creation, i.e., the child. The feminine
    stands with her creation, she is immanent with the child. The child
    grows in her. Therefore when you emphasize transcendence you must
    refer to the masculine. This is why God must be called Father. Note
    how pagan religions always have priestesses. Its not a coincidence
    that those who emphasize God’s immanence always end up in paganism
    with priestesses.

Didn’t mean to put tha in pat tence, fix that as soobn as I am done writeing thsi.

Okay tahnk you very much. I guess the lord tells yout higns you did not know. srorry, and please forgive em for my ignorence.

Update Edit thing’ Utgh…they won’t etl me edit my orginal post anymore, I can’t cahnge the tence. sorry.

Emly,
A nun at my school told me the same thing. SHe told the entire class, for that matter. And, actually, she’s incorrect. So is your sister.

God is a man. “Our Father, who art in heaven…” “In the name of the Father…” Christ is one in being with the Father.

The way I see it is this: God is our Father and Mary is our Mother.

Also, why did Christ call God “daddy” while in the Garden (“abba” means “daddy”)? He wouldn’t call a genderless being “daddy” because that would be incorrect.

As I said before, God is our Heavenly Father and Mary is our Heavenly Mother. The. Perfect. Parents.

[quote=Apostle X]Emly,
A nun at my school told me the same thing. SHe told the entire class, for that matter. And, actually, she’s incorrect. So is your sister.

God is a man. “Our Father, who art in heaven…” “In the name of the Father…” Christ is one in being with the Father.

The way I see it is this: God is our Father and Mary is our Mother.

Also, why did Christ call God “daddy” while in the Garden (“abba” means “daddy”)? He wouldn’t call a genderless being “daddy” because that would be incorrect.

As I said before, God is our Heavenly Father and Mary is our Heavenly Mother. The. Perfect. Parents.
[/quote]

No. Jesus didn’t call God Father because God is a male. Jesus called God Father because God is his Father, but is not limited to human gender. You are thinking in a finite way about who God is. But God is infinite and a Spirit and has no human gender. His fatherhood is absolute, but not limited to the male gender. I know it’s hard to grasp, but this is a mystery of God that we simple creatures cannot fully understand. We can only accept it.

Della, I’m sorry for not clarifying myself. Yes, God is a spirit, but he is Christ’s Father. My bad for the lack of clarification.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.